Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E28 (1982 - 1988)

E28 (1982 - 1988)

Old 09-29-2009, 06:43 PM
the new guy

Mein Auto: 1988 528e
Arrow changing speakers in e28

so guys, I'm planning on changing the speakers in the back of my 528e, how do you suggest I get to the speakers?

I've looked at the trunk, which wasn't much help. Should I take out the seat backs for the back seats? I'm totally unsure.

Would you think that I could still use the original amp with newer speakers or would I need to get a new amp as well?

The speakers I have to replace the old ones are 140 watts, but I don't know much about audio systems.

Thanks for your help.
Ads by Google
Old 09-30-2009, 08:56 AM

Mein Auto: **** you
i would def. consider a more powerful amp or your speakers will not get enough power and sound like ass

i have never done a speaker job in one of these tho so I have no recommendations as for the actual instal

I would also upgrade the speaker wires
Old 10-09-2009, 12:16 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2006 X3
If you are planning on changing the factory radio then forget the stock amp (it only produces like 14 watts @10% distortion!) and stock wiring system with the exception of the door tweeter wires. You can get component speakers that fit in the premium speaker housings (I have 5-1/4" Infinity in mines), rewire from the head unit and add a subwoofer. I have a Blaupunkt unit that matches the BMW orange dash lights, an 8" Pioneer shallow mount subwoofer with a Blaupunkt 300 watt amp under the rear seat, stock front speakers and the Infinity's in the rear with their crossovers under ther rear seat and I could be happier. They won't hear you coming from a block away but it is definitely a great improvement from the stock system. Here are a couple of pics:

By the way, my sons ride on the back with no issues at all so it doesn't affect the seat use.
Old 11-02-2009, 10:16 PM
the new guy

Mein Auto: 1988 528e
thanks man!
Oh, do I just pull out the bottom part of the seats?
Old 11-03-2009, 10:38 AM

Mein Auto: 2006 X3
To reach the back speakers you do that from the top. Just put a hook on the grill and pull on them, you will see the screws that hold them down. Keep in mind that the speakers are 5-1/4" in the back and 4" in the front along with tweeters so they DON'T put out any bass. That's the whole reason for the subwoofer. If you are re-wiring all the speakers you will need to remove the back seats and the door sills in order to run the speaker wires along the right side and power on the left. Just leave the factory wiring from the kick panel speakers to the door tweeters as these are a nightmare to change properly.
Good Luck!
Old 06-14-2014, 03:04 AM

Mein Auto: e28 525E
Also want to fit a subwoofer

Hi Jim

Thanks for all your helpful information on here man . Really appreciated.

I have a 1987 E28 525 E and was despairing of ever getting a woofer in it, and then I saw your post. I am totally into doing what you have and sticking one under the back seat. I'm WAY too much of a muppet to ever consider cutting a hole in the metal between the cabin and the boot (I WOULD mess it up, for definite!).

I have a couple of questions, which I'd be super happy if you could answer. I'll need to have more power to the subwoofer right? An amp? Could the same amp power the back speakers too? or would I need a dedicated one just for the woofer? Also, my head unit tends to cut out at high volumes, especially when the engine is not running. Does this mean there's not enough power coming from the car to the head unit? How would this affect the thing with an amp and woofer too?

Sorry if my questions are stupid. I am a TOTAL novice at this, and thanks in advance for any help

Cheers

Charlie
Old 06-14-2014, 05:24 AM

Mein Auto: 535i 1989
The thread is 5 years old. I would suggest going to mye28.com for up to date help.

Andy