Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E89 Z4 (2009 - current)

E89 Z4 (2009 - current)

Old 09-30-2009, 05:16 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 Z4 Sdrive 3.5
2009 Z4 Sdrive3.5 Problems

After picking up my Z4 on 9/15 the car has been for repairs twice.

The Nav system was not running right. There was not enough street names at any given resolution. It would tell me to make left hand turns - the street is one way to the right. Does not recaculate when I make a change from the directed route. Sends me in a circle back to the same route I was before for no reason.

I brougth it back to the dealer and was told that there was nothing they could do and I have to call TeleAtlas (the nav people - they told me it was a software problem as their maps are correct and they only supply the data). I could not understand why but the dealer was spouting the party line. I called BMWNA and got the answer that the Nav like the Tires were not covered under the BMW warranty. I then told him - I fully understand that the Tires are not covered because I have a nice DVD about the Tires. I asked him were is the book that tells me about the Nav warranty? I then asked him on what page of the manual this is so stated (I am so anal that I have actually read the manuals). There was dead silence. A totally useless person.

I then contacted the service manager and we agreed that this was not handled correctly. I explained that just because the computer codes correctly there still could be a problem I made an appt to bring the car in on Monday.

Saturday the car went into Limp Home Mode. Since I live on Long Island and bought the cart upstate. They towed the car to their shop. After doing research I told my wife the was problem was the HPFP (a known problem with the twin turbos). They called and confirmed that fact. They also stated that they were reinstalling the software and the car should be ready by Monday but expect to pick it up Tuesday.

I got the call on Tuesday the computer is not accepting any downloads and they have to get a new computer ( I believe the computer is coded to the specific car). She said she hopes the car will be ready by Friday. By here voice i suspect it will not be.

I now have the Ultimate Paper Weight.

Marty
Advertisement
Old 09-30-2009, 03:21 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: E93 and E71
N54 troubles on my E93

Knock on wood I have had no issues to date on my e89, but here is a link to the thread of the issues I had with my e93...

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=329614

The only comforting thought I can give is that they will get it fixed eventually and hopefully they gave you a fun loaner in the meantime.

How many miles are on your Z4?
2009 Z4 35i - Sold
2007 X5 3.0si - Sold
2007 335i Vert - Sold
2006 X3 3.0i - Sold
2004 Z4 2.5i - Sold
2003 X5 3.0i - Sold
Old 10-11-2009, 02:11 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 Z4 Sdrive 3.5
2010 z4

The dealer fixed the HPFP and said there was about 2.5 hours to go to update my computer and nav.

The next day they called and said the computer crashed and they have to order me a new one and would take about 5-7 business days to have a new one shipped from Germany. A bit upset but was told the computers are coded to the VIN of the car. So I gotta wait.

About days later I get a call from the service manager stating that they just got an email which said production on the computer has stopped . No timeline as to when it would restart and they did not know if the email meant my computer was built. Now getting real annoyed. Called BMWNA but they were useless.

The GM of the dealership called and said BMW just declared my 2009 Z4 35i a lemon. He asked me to stay with the brand. He said he wants to make things right and that they will build a new car (2010) and we would just swap when the car came in. I know the GM and he has always been very upfront with me. It told him to build it but they owe me all the nice top down days that I will be missing and 6 coats of carnuba wax and wheel polish!

I called up BMWNA and told them that I was due something. I would not have my car for about 2 months in total. I do have a loaner but it's a 328 and not nearly as expensive as my Z4. I told them that It would be really nice if they extended the lease (at no chage) for 2 months and then throw in a third just because I am staying with the brand. She is getting back to me.
Old 10-12-2009, 10:34 PM

Mein Auto: chev
What month was your Z4 35i built.
Old 11-01-2009, 01:48 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 535i M Package
I bought a Z4 Sdrive3.5 in Aug 09 and have had it in the shop 5 times. 4 times for engine missing / fuel issues and once for SOS reprograming. I was given another car almost exactly the same and it has the exact same problem. BMW now has both of the cars back and is trying to isolate the issue. MPHCPA is the problem a HPFP? Did BMW say so? Why do you think a 2010 model will fix the issue?
I have been assigned a BMWNA corprate Customer Relations and Services Representative but i have yet to get any answers or resolutions.
Old 07-03-2010, 02:49 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 Z4 SDrive 35i
2009 Z4 Sdrive 3.5 Problems

I was interested to hear another HPFP problem like mine. My Z4 was built June 2009, took delivery in July and suffered it's first problem in May this year- at 70mph on a UK motorway. Engine lamp came on and then almost straight away started mis-firing and on slowing down on the emergency lane it died and refused to re-start. Went back to the dealer 3 times since, and after almost 4 weeks off the road I have now got the car back after they changed both fuel pumps and the last fix was a complete fuel tank replacement. I've complained in writing to BMW UK who says it's being investigated- but for such an expensive car- mine fully loaded and cost 45,000 here in London- they should have just offered a new replacement car but have so far done nothing. It's a shame BMW build's great cars but if things go wrong you have such a useless customer support network.
Old 07-03-2010, 05:02 PM
Alter Peter

Mein Auto: 2012 ///M3 LMB/Black
sam77

Sorry to hear about your problems, it is not BMW, it is the dealer. One does not have to blame BMW one needs to let BMW know about the dealership response to your issues. hope all gets resolved.

reaper1

you need to keep after them, remember the squeaky wheel will get the oil. Call them every day, drive them up the wall

MPHCPA

You seam to have your share of problems, almost an unbelievable story for a BMW dealership to call such a fine car a lemon??? Anyway, I am so glad I did not get the iDrive and Navigation. I use my TomTom 902, a nice lady voice tells me when to turn the right way I do admit sometimes she confuses me. Oh well that is technology. Do keep us posted of your nightmare I do not dare to call it a lemon for I always had great BMW cars and love my sZ4 3.5i

Cheers All

Driving mt 2012 /// M3 LMB & Black Leather Interior Fully Loaded
I drove a Z4 35i across the USA in 2010 & loved it.
Somehow I just had to get back into the /// M3 and so I did.
Old 07-04-2010, 02:18 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 335d
BMW does not declare a car a "lemon". What they are doing is offering to "buyback" your car and offer you a new one. This is what happened to me when my 07 E93 could not be fixed. I received a new 09 paying only the difference in MSRP and a charge for mileage. All in all it was a great deal as I used the E93 as a trade on my Z4 and traded just about even up and I qualified for a Holiday Cash deal that paid for my trip over to Munich for a quick ED. Good luck, don't lose your patience with BMWNA. They can be difficult but in the end want to keep you as a BMW customer.

Colonel (Ret) US Army / Hagerstown, MD
1985 M635 Euro Alpine White/Pacific Blue (Fun Car)
2010 Z4 s30i Alpine White/Beige
2013 Audi A6 Ibis White/Nougat (Daily Driver)
2013 Audi A4(Ret)
2011 335d (Ret)
2009 335i vert (Ret)
2007 335i vert (Ret) ED 04-13-10
2000 740iL (Ret)
1998 328iC (Ret)
1990 535i (Ret)
1988 635CSi (Ret)

https://plus.google.com/photos/10999...COHGu-rlyIrrLg
Old 07-07-2010, 02:29 PM

Mein Auto: 09z4 335
HPFP Problem + more

Just found this thread in exasperation after my 09 Z4/3.5 died. Leased it in Aug 09 and it was trouble-free until two months ago when it started experiencing exactly the symptoms stated here and on the 3 series 335 threads: long cranking at start up, sporadic CEL, then finally gas smell and shuddering/dying on highway twice in one day. I called BMW Assistance and had it flatbedded to selling dealer on Jun 11.

The service dept at the dealer has been minimally communicative and I knew little until finding this and other boards. After a few days, they told me the fuel pump needed to be replaced and I'd have the car in two days. On that day I called and they said that they were reprogramming the computer, which takes 5 hrs (!) and it would be another day. On that day I called and they said that the computer wouldn't restart and they had to do it again. Now we're into the 2nd week. I call after two more days and they say they are working with BMW Engineering in Germany. AFter a few more days they call and say that BMW says replace four parts but they are on backorder. On to the third week. AFter a few more days that call and say that after service dept applying much pressure, BMW has committed to sending the parts but it will take seven days. No word since but this Friday will mark four weeks out of service.

My question to the experts here is, do you think that BMW will eventually be able to determine the root cause and fix this problem definitively? I notice in one prior post on this thread that they apparently threw in the towel and bought the car back. According to NY State law, my car can be declared a lemon if they have not fixed it by next Monday, which will then exceed 30 days out of service.

I liked the car a lot when it ran; much better than the MB SLK 350 it replaced and faster than the Jag XK/R before that. If I were convinced that they could eventually fix it, I would try to negotiate a sweet buyout given the many thousands of $$$ BMW would lose going the lemon route. But if the car is going to conk out again on the highway 100s of miles from home, no price is worth it.

What do you think?
Old 07-08-2010, 06:49 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 Z4 SDrive 35i
2009 z4 problems

I am pretty much the situation as Phat Cat, all I want is to be rid of this particular car which BMW seem to have put together with less than premium fuel line components. As I'm in the UK, dealers here seem to have all the power and can decide to keep repairing the car until the warranty runs out. My latest situation is that after the 3rd repair, a horrible noise is now coming from under the rear of the car. Having promised to consider a refund or exchange should anything go wrong after the 3rd repair, BMW now says this is a new issue and unjust therefore bring it back to the dealership to decide if they will just repair again or offer me a refund or exchange. So I now have to lose a days income to help them to decide- great service for us British customers, huh?!

I am going into the dealer next week so I'll keep you all posted as to what happens. I'm sure they will offer me a FIAT- fix it again Tom!!
Old 07-11-2010, 05:24 AM

An update on my Z4. The last call I received from service said that BMW Germany was sending the parts and it would take 7 days. We have now passed seven business days and I have recieved no update. I understand that $hi+ happens but it has now been a month since my car was flatbedded to the dealer and I have no ETA from BMW on a fix. The current lack of commnication for almost two weeks is indicative of a dealer that doesn't care.

Monday will make 31 days that my car has been continuously out of service, which makes it a lemon according to NY state law. I plan to call BMW NA Monday morning and politely explain my situation to see what they are willing to do. I really liked this car when it ran and I haven't found anything else with its combinatiion of looks. comfort and performance. A this point I think the only way I could stay with BMW is replacement with a similarly equipped 2011 model year Z4 with the redesigned engine.

I'll post again after my convo with BMW NA Monday.

Last edited by Phat Cat; 07-11-2010 at 05:25 AM.
Old 07-11-2010, 05:30 AM

Mein Auto: 2010 Z4 35i
[QUOTE=Phat Cat;5316578] At this point I think the only way I could stay with BMW is replacement with a similarly equipped 2011 model year Z4 with the redesigned engine.

There is not a redesigned engine for the 2011 model year. All the engines on the various models are the same as the 2009? The only small exception is the 35is which basically is still the same engine as the 35i, but has been tweaked.

2006 Z4 30i - Monaco Blue, beige leather
2003 Z4 2.5- Sterling Gray, black leather
1998 Z3 2.8 - Bright Red, black leather
Old 07-11-2010, 06:09 AM

[QUOTE=RoadstergalZ4;5316585]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phat Cat View Post
At this point I think the only way I could stay with BMW is replacement with a similarly equipped 2011 model year Z4 with the redesigned engine.

There is not a redesigned engine for the 2011 model year. All the engines on the various models are the same as the 2009? The only small exception is the 35is which basically is still the same engine as the 35i, but has been tweaked.
Thanks for the correction. I was under the impression that the 2011 would get the N55 but on further research, I see that the 5 series does but the Z does not.

Now I'm not sure what to do.
Old 07-11-2010, 06:16 AM
Alter Peter

Not all problems are the same!

It amuses me to read some of the posts about issues and or problems. Some people make it sound as if they have a problem everyone else will have the same problems? People should keep in mind that no two things are ever made the same there are differences in everything.

So the bottom line is if your car runs fine chances are very good that you do not have the same issues/defects or as some people like to think problems

Just my two cents.

Old 07-11-2010, 06:48 AM

Mein Auto: 2005 Z4 2.5i
Well, certainly the HPFP is a known weak link, and certainly a potential issue with this car, at least in the 09's (haven't heard of anyone having trouble with the later model years- but in reality, they have the same pump and may not have been on the road long enough for problems to surface yet).

Having said that, the failure rate- that is, those folks whose pumps actually need to be replaced- is still fairly low, but that certainly wouldn't make me feel better if I didn't have my car for a month (or a week, for that matter). So Rolf is right in the sentiment that some bad luck is needed to be affected by this problem.

If there is a silver lining, it is that at least BMW knows it is an issue, which should lead to a quicker diagnosis and fix should the problem occur. What is concerning about many of these stories is how many people get stuck AFTER the HPFP is replaced with secondary computer issues.

Keeping my fingers tightly crossed...

2011 E89 Z4 sDrive35is Space Grey Metallic/Coral Red/Aluminum Carbon trim; Premium Package, Cold Weather, Premium Sound, NAV, PDC, Anti-theft
2008 E60 528i
2005 E85 Z4 Roadster 2.5i (Retired)

BMWCCA Member #434186
Old 07-11-2010, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolf-Dieter View Post
Not all problems are the same!

It amuses me to read some of the posts about issues and or problems. Some people make it sound as if they have a problem everyone else will have the same problems? People should keep in mind that no two things are ever made the same there are differences in everything.

So the bottom line is if your car runs fine chances are very good that you do not have the same issues/defects or as some people like to think problems

Just my two cents.
I am happy for others whose cars run fine and hope they continue to do so.

I addressed only my problem, which seems to be identical to the OP. Not only has the HPFP failed, but the computer will also not come up once it was reprogrammed. I asked here for opinions as to whether my problem is fixable, hoping that someone would tell me that their situation ended positively. I posted because my dealer has given me very little information and even that only when I call.

While I realize that my particular confluence of events is probably rare, I have learned that HPFP failure in the N54 engine is not. Having my car suddenly start to shuuder/shake and quickly die in high-speed traffic is plain scary. I have never experienced this and I do not want to repeat it.
Old 07-11-2010, 08:38 AM
Alter Peter

Quote:
I am happy for others whose cars run fine and hope they continue to do so.

I addressed only my problem, which seems to be identical to the OP. Not only has the HPFP failed, but the computer will also not come up once it was reprogrammed. I asked here for opinions as to whether my problem is fixable, hoping that someone would tell me that their situation ended positively. I posted because my dealer has given me very little information and even that only when I call.

While I realize that my particular confluence of events is probably rare, I have learned that HPFP failure in the N54 engine is not. Having my car suddenly start to shuuder/shake and quickly die in high-speed traffic is plain scary. I have never experienced this and I do not want to repeat it.
Phat, I only addressed the issue of quote "Problems" un-quote in general. I will Post a thread in the German Z4 Forum about the "HPFP failure in the N54 engine" issue as well as computer issues following the pump change out. I will then get back to you here on this thread with my findings. I m fortunate that I retained my mother tongue and perhaps address the issue to a larger European ordinance.

Naturally all of us that have a 2009 are concerned, so hang in there and I'll get back to you.

Meantime enjoy the top down weather

BTW my Z4 sDrive35i has 9,102 KM on the clock, about 10K more will be added this summer on my cross country trip that will start in exactly 2 weeks. Hope my HPFP does not interrupt my planned trip agenda

Last edited by Rolf-Dieter; 07-11-2010 at 08:41 AM.
Old 07-11-2010, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Phat, I only addressed the issue of quote "Problems" un-quote in general. I will Post a thread in the German Z4 Forum about the "HPFP failure in the N54 engine" issue as well as computer issues following the pump change out. I will then get back to you here on this thread with my findings. I m fortunate that I retained my mother tongue and perhaps address the issue to a larger European ordinance.

Naturally all of us that have a 2009 are concerned, so hang in there and I'll get back to you.

Meantime enjoy the top down weather

BTW my Z4 sDrive35i has 9,102 KM on the clock, about 10K more will be added this summer on my cross country trip that will start in exactly 2 weeks. Hope my HPFP does not interrupt my planned trip agenda
Thanks. I would sure like to enjoy the top-down weather but my Z4 has been in the shop for 30 days now.
Old 07-11-2010, 10:26 AM
Alter Peter

Sorry to hear this, did BMW not provide you at least with a loaner of similar style?

Old 07-11-2010, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Sorry to hear this, did BMW not provide you at least with a loaner of similar style?
They offered but not a Z4. I have other cars so I told them I didn't require a loaner, never thinking I'd have no resolution after a month. Now if they had offered a 6-series convert ...
Old 07-11-2010, 04:57 PM
Alter Peter

Quote:
They offered but not a Z4. I have other cars so I told them I didn't require a loaner, never thinking I'd have no resolution after a month. Now if they had offered a 6-series convert ...
You should go back, they do owe you that much ... if it takes any longer to fix your car then they should come up with a nice one or six series convertible.

No harm in trying, go right to the top the Dealer Manager and stand your ground ... tell them you planned a top down trip into the contry to selebrate (you think of something) and now they have your car you planned to do it oin to no fault of your own ... as the saying goes

"Just Do It"

Most of all hang in there

PS. I found a German post and will post results translated soon.

Old 07-11-2010, 05:18 PM
Alter Peter

MPGCPA and Phat Chat

Pat, Here is what I found on a German Z4 Forum site.

1,845 people looked at the original post that basically stated that the fellow had HPFP issues followed by computer update re-set issues. However, only 45 people responded to the posts. Here is the breakdown.

Original post 1

Off Topic / not related direct to the issue ..11 posts

Some suggested to turn off A/C .. 3 posts

Same reported the same problem, mainly noise from the rear end .. 9 posts

Car at dealer for pump replacement .. 2 posts

Some reported the noise only in neutral or at 1000 to 1500 RMP .. 3 posts

People with follow up comments .. 1 posts

Changed Cars .. 1 post

One had his pump changed 3 times during a 7 month period .. 1 post

Some claimed that just a software update is required .. 2 posts

Some also reported that when the gas tank got near empty did they notice the noise (hauling of the motor/pump)

Only a few as I can tell own a BMW Z4 2009 sDrive others drive BMW Z4 sDrive23i or pre 2009 BMW cars.

Perhaps there are other threads on this issue on other German Forum sites. For this one, 45 out of 1,845 people is a very low average and chances are most cars are okay. I hope my car is okay, now over 9,000 KM and I am planning an extended road trip across the country later this month. We shall see, I hope I am not going to get stranded.

Keep us informed over your progress, I am sure many other Z4 sDrive35i drivers follow this Fuel Pump thread.

Hope this helps somewhat.

In case you like to have a look for yourself at the thread here is the link.....

http://www.zroadster.com/forum/bmw_z...umpe_laut.html

Last edited by Rolf-Dieter; 07-11-2010 at 05:25 PM.
Old 07-11-2010, 05:42 PM
Alter Peter

I just found another thread ........ 2,490 people looked at the post (not too well described only HPFP) and 51 people replied agin a very low number seam to have problems or don't care. I guess they don't care until they get stuck somewhere in no mans land on the highway some dark night ~grin~ I consider the fuel pump issue a serious issue.

here for reference is the link

http://e89.zpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=319230

Last edited by Rolf-Dieter; 07-11-2010 at 05:43 PM.
Old 07-11-2010, 08:25 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 Z4 2.5i
Phat,

Have you been to Zpost at all? There are several threads regarding the HPFP problems. Here are a couple of links which might be helpful.

Good luck. Let us know how it works out for you.

2011 E89 Z4 sDrive35is Space Grey Metallic/Coral Red/Aluminum Carbon trim; Premium Package, Cold Weather, Premium Sound, NAV, PDC, Anti-theft
2008 E60 528i
2005 E85 Z4 Roadster 2.5i (Retired)

BMWCCA Member #434186
Old 07-12-2010, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HospiceDoc View Post
Phat,

Have you been to Zpost at all? There are several threads regarding the HPFP problems. Here are a couple of links which might be helpful.

Good luck. Let us know how it works out for you.
Yeah, I've read the posts there and on various 3-series forums, which are much more numerous of course.

On a separate topic, do you have more photos of your car? If BMW offers to replace mine, I think yours is the exact color combo and config I will choose. Thx.