Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > M Series > E46 M3 (2001-2006)

E46 M3 (2001-2006)

Old 09-30-2009, 10:49 AM

Mein Auto: 2001 M3
01 M3 Pending Codes : Need Help

I couldn't complete my emissions test due to all my monitors being set to "not ready." but my car seems to be running fine. So I borrowed a OBD II reader from a good friend to see if I could get more information. It turns out that I have three pending codes:
1) P0101 Mass or Volume Air Flow Circuit Range / Performance
2) P0172 System Too Rich (Bank 1)
3) P0175 System Too Rich (Bank 2)

I pulled my intake tube, air filter, and maf out. It turns out my air filter was really really dirty, but my intake tube and maf looked as if they were still new. I replaced the air filter with a K & N and cleared the three pending DTC codes. I started my car up with the OBD II still connected as per the manual to see when the drive cycles were completed. Half way down the hill I live on my RPMs started jumping from 500 to 2k continuously until my car finally stalled. I started it back up without the reader attached and it was doing the same thing for a minute until it stabilized. I then pulled out when my car almost died again. I was able to keep it running and pulled into a parking lot when it looked like a there was a decent amount of smoke coming out of my exhaust. As soon as I got in the parking lot my car was running fine and I was able to turn around and make it all the way back home. As soon as I got home I checked my computer for codes and found that 1 pending code existed.

1) P0175 System Too Rich (bank 2)

I again cleared the codes and this time disconnected the reader. I started the car letting it idle for a while and proceeded to try and drive up the hill. This time there was no craziness with the rpms this time however it appeared my car was misfiring especially when I shifted into second gear. When I got back home after like a 3 minute drive no codes were thrown.

So I am unsure of where to go from here? Is there a proper way to clear pending DTCs? What are some things I should check? My car only has 33k miles on it if that matters.

Thanks,
Derek
Ads by Google
Old 10-02-2009, 02:43 PM

Mein Auto: 2001 M3
ttt - I am going to try cleaning the ICV. Does anyone have a DIY for intake manifold removal? Also, what tool is needed for those special clamps?
Old 10-24-2009, 09:54 AM

Mein Auto: E36 M3 3.0 Saloon
The clamps can be removed using a small flat bladed screwdriver. Replace the clips... although you may struggle to fasten the new clips without the correct tool.
Old 10-25-2009, 05:43 AM
///M forum moderator

Mein Auto: 88 E30 M3.2, 08 451
Sounds like your MAF needs to be replaced.
Old 11-06-2009, 08:34 PM

Mein Auto: cxzcsad
Valuable information.