Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series DIY

7 Series DIY
Do It Yourself forum dedicated for 7 Series BMW Owners

Closed Thread

Old 09-30-2009, 12:38 PM

Mein Auto: '02 745i
Thumbs up DIY Engine Failure / Reduced Engine Power Reset

Hi everyone, I'm posting this so no one will have to go through the hassle of taking their 7 to BMW to be raped of their prices for the same problem I recently had. The other day, my 02 745i with 110k miles was sitting for about 24 hours and when i went to start it, it was just about DEAD. couldn't get it to turn over, just clicking. Needless to say, I have a battery issue that has been taken care of since. Anyhow, once I jumped the car & had it turn over, a message "Engine Failure / Reduced Engine Power" came up on the Idrive & Cluster screens and the car wouldn't allow me to accelerate. It would rev High to Low, over and over. Eventually, the car stalled. So I waited, started it again and NO changes. Still having the problem. I tried to drive the car out of my driveway to the gas station up the street, being that i was almost empty, and figured i'd put some fresh gas in with a fuel injector cleaning. I pulled out of the driveway, and I was jerked back and forth from the High/Low rev. I pulled back into the driveway, let the car sit for about a day, started her up and still had the same problem. I read up on some similar model recalls causing that message, and spoke to some BMW reps & they insisted on me towing the vehicle in for a very expensive, out of warranty service. Every rep said this was an unsafe issue, and couldn't be fixed unless they reset the computer, changed the fuel pump, etc etc etc.... So, my FIX included, completely disconnecting the battery for about 20 minutes, then re-securing the terminals. I pushed the Start button, and the car started up with no problems or messages. This may seem simple to most, but when your 7 is acting like this, and you know it's going to be expensive, you try to find the quick DIY fix. (because these reps will talk you into believing a lot) just take the basic troubleshooting steps first. Even if this problem applies to only 1 person, I hope this will help.

Last edited by FWD2003; 10-03-2009 at 06:12 PM.
Ads by Google
Old 10-01-2009, 12:17 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2002 745LI
Thanks bro. I also have a 02 745LI and I have 101,000 on it. Glad to see people take their time and post DIY's.

Last edited by UltZeven; 10-01-2009 at 12:17 AM. Reason: Forgot a word.
Old 10-07-2009, 12:45 AM
The Outlander

Send a message via MSN to theoutlander
Mein Auto: 2003 BMW 745 LI
I heard that the car is designed to operate in reduced power mode when the battery is low or connectors are bad. Also, the car will automatically shut itself off if the battery is low in order to conserve just about enough power to start it back up!
Closed Thread