Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Old 02-04-2009, 01:28 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2006 x3
min thickness of rotors

whats the min thickness before bmw does a rotor replacement as part of a brake job...im trying to figure out if the rotors were replaced too as part of my brake service....i see no part numbers for rotors listed and then it says replaced rear pads 2mm replaced front pads 2mm, ft discs 23.55mm rear disc 20.9mm.... im not sure if that means they replaced the rotors or that they are just listing what they mic'd
Advertisement
Old 02-04-2009, 04:42 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 X3 2.5i
I have seen the number 23.50mm. for the fronts.

Not sure about the rears, other than being smaller diameter, I would guess the spec. thickness is 2 -3 mm. less than the fronts.
Let's say 2.7mm., so that would make it 20.80mm. putting yours just on the safe side.

The minimums are normally stamped on the rotors somewhere, so they presumably verified that they did not need replacing.
Old 10-07-2009, 09:08 AM
Aficionado

Mein Auto: '05 X3, '95 M3, '89 MkI
My rear pads are on their final days at 65k miles....I'm replacing them soon. Revisiting this thread, does anybody know the specs for the rotors? I want to make sure is safe just changing the pads. I've hear people saying the rotors life outlast the pads? And they are replacing rotors every two pad sets. What's the concensus here?
Old 10-07-2009, 07:50 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 X3
I once saw a rotor that was worn all the way through to the cooling fins. There's a concern. :-)
Old 10-07-2009, 08:12 PM

Mein Auto: 1985 318I
I'd recommend going to auto zone and buying the All-Data CD for your vehicle. Well worth the $25 ish dollar investment, it will have torque specs, thickness specs, etcc..but it goes into thousandths of an insh so you'd NEED a micrometer if you're trying to do a DIY - 0.3 - 1.3 range. Random specs are hard to find laying around on the internet.
Old 10-07-2009, 08:29 PM
What a clever fellow.

Mein Auto: Autos & motos
The best info I've found using Google is http://www.zeckhausen.com/BMW/X3.htm

Front:
Nom25mm
Min 23.4mm

Rear:
Nom 21.9mm
Min 20.4mm

It is true that rotors will usually outlast a single set of pads. What concerns me about the original poster's rotors (and that post being from February is long out of date) is that while they were currently in spec, they will be far under spec by the time a whole new set of pads are used. Rotors are fairly cheap, and it is little more work to change a rotor when you're already changing pads, so if there is any doubt I would go ahead and change them, especially in the front (rear brake wear is considerably less than the front)
Old 10-07-2009, 09:58 PM
BMW Enthusiast!

Mein Auto: 2007 Z4+X3, 2006 530Xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by miklm View Post
The best info I've found using Google is http://www.zeckhausen.com/BMW/X3.htm

Front:
Nom25mm
Min 23.4mm

Rear:
Nom 21.9mm
Min 20.4mm

It is true that rotors will usually outlast a single set of pads. What concerns me about the original poster's rotors (and that post being from February is long out of date) is that while they were currently in spec, they will be far under spec by the time a whole new set of pads are used. Rotors are fairly cheap, and it is little more work to change a rotor when you're already changing pads, so if there is any doubt I would go ahead and change them, especially in the front (rear brake wear is considerably less than the front)

+1 on that. The rotors are easy to change. Just do it or you will regret it later!

My garage: 2007 BMW Z4 3.0si Manual, 2007 BMW X3, 2006 BMW 530xi

Retired: 1998 BMW Z3

Member of BMWCCA!