Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E36/7 Z3 (1996-2002)

E36/7 Z3 (1996-2002)
E36/7 Z3 Roadster, Z3 coupe, Z3 M Roadster and Z3 M Coupe talk with our gurus here.

Old 09-09-2003, 05:21 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Send a message via AIM to dwm Send a message via Yahoo to dwm
Mein Auto: 2002 M roadster
replacement for glove box latch surround

I recently did Warren's glovebox sag fix, and that has worked out well for me. However, I've always had a broken latch surround, to the point where I had to remove it before 10,000 miles (before I implemented Warren's fix).

Tonight I cut a piece to replace the latch surround from 3/32" thick black Delrin. It's a lot stiffer and more durable than the stock piece. My stock piece was about to lose its second screw hole when I removed it; stress cracks abound. This first replacement piece is a 15-minute hack piece done quickly by hand, just to see if the thickness will work. I'll post results after I install it, but here's a picture showing the stock piece (top) and my quick-hack replacement (bottom). Note I westanded the sheen off of the Delrin to give it a brushed look (400 grit):

Note I used smaller screw holes due to having Warren's sag fix in place.

I think a lot of folks suffer broken glovebox latch surround, and I'd bet that every one that's had more than a few thousand miles on it has many stress cracks around the screw holes. Someone should be mass-producing stronger pieces to replace them. I chose black Delrin versus stell or aluminum because it's dirt cheap and doesn't need any finish work (it's already black and will stay that way ). Delrin has good impact resistance, I expect my final piece to outlast the rest of the cheap-a$$ glovebox. :-)
Ads by Google
Old 09-09-2003, 08:15 PM

As it turns out, Warren has been working on this too, I just had no idea.

At any rate, I wound up installing my piece tonight for fit testing. I countersunk the washers to come flush with the front of the Delrin. Seems to work dandy.
Old 09-10-2003, 04:35 PM

Mein Auto: 2000 Z3 2.8
Where is a good source for Delrin material?
Old 09-10-2003, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronsz3
Where is a good source for Delrin material?
My last few Delrin purchases have been from McMaster-Carr. Search for Delrin, then under Form select Sheets. Scroll down and select Black under the Opaque color options. Then select a thickness of .125" (1/8") and/or .094" (3/32"). Note I misquoted the thickness I'm using for this first piece... it's 1/8" thick, not 3/32" thick. The next piece will probably be 3/32" and not require sinking the washers in the Delrin (forstner bit to cut). I've got both sizes and some 1/4" laying around, I just grabbed the wrong sheet. The 1/8" and 3/32" thick stuff is around $11 for a 12"x12" piece.

Last edited by dwm; 09-10-2003 at 05:34 PM.
Old 09-10-2003, 05:42 PM

Mein Auto: 2000 Z3 2.8
Thanks