Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E30 (1982 - 1993)

E30 (1982 - 1993)
God's Chariot. The E30 was produced primarily from 1982 through 1991. The cabriolet was the one exception which was produced through 1993.

Old 10-04-2009, 01:14 AM

Mein Auto: 1990 325i
Unhappy ----- Steering fluid leaking from rubber boot on right side ------

I just brought a 1990 e30 with 162k miles for 1,600. The guy wanted 2,300 but he went down to 1,600 because there was a power steering leak. When I got home I jack up and notice the boot on the steering rack is leaking power steering fluid bad.
I squeeze the boot and there seem to be a cut on the boot.

My question is can I replace just the boot which i see on ebay for 3.00 or do I have to replace the whole steering rack which cost 300.00 and 300.00 for labor..

so guys you think i got a good for the price i paid? considering that he got all the paper work and the car seem to be well maintain beside that leak..

Last edited by megamike; 10-04-2009 at 01:25 AM.
Advertisement
Old 10-04-2009, 01:49 AM
E34 Converted E30 Fanatic

Send a message via MSN to _Ethrty-Andy_
Mein Auto: E34 Touring AC Schnitzer
Quote:
Originally Posted by megamike View Post
I just brought a 1990 e30 with 162k miles for 1,600. The guy wanted 2,300 but he went down to 1,600 because there was a power steering leak. When I got home I jack up and notice the boot on the steering rack is leaking power steering fluid bad.
I squeeze the boot and there seem to be a cut on the boot.

My question is can I replace just the boot which i see on ebay for 3.00 or do I have to replace the whole steering rack which cost 300.00 and 300.00 for labor..

so guys you think i got a good for the price i paid? considering that he got all the paper work and the car seem to be well maintain beside that leak..

are you menchanically minded? you could do the steering rack yourself to save money. you can also get your existing one rebuilt aswell

E30 above Sold

E34 V12 Project Thread Here: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...=502437&page=4
Last updated 2nd January 2014
Old 10-04-2009, 10:01 AM

So do I have to replace the whole rack or just the boot. How hard it is to replace the boot and is it better to replace the whole rack? also do i have to do the alignment afterward? Can someone help with these question please? Also I would work on this car but I don't have tools or a place to work on it...

also did i get a good price on the car?
Old 10-04-2009, 10:22 AM
livin large

Mein Auto: 2012 hypermotard 796
Quote:
So do I have to replace the whole rack or just the boot. How hard it is to replace the boot and is it better to replace the whole rack? also do i have to do the alignment afterward? Can someone help with these question please? Also I would work on this car but I don't have tools or a place to work on it...

also did i get a good price on the car?
you can replace the rack, or rebuild your current rack. its not the boot thats leaking, its the seal. those are really your two options.

you should get an alignment afterwards, or you can do a broomstick alignment, which is just measuring the distance from wheel to wheel front and back to adjust the toe.
Old 10-04-2009, 10:30 AM
East Bound And Down

Send a message via AIM to noexceptions325
Mein Auto: 325e,Jeep,240z,528i
+1 on the broomstick alignment, i havent taken a car to the shop for that in probably 5 years

Built 325e too much to list, Heavily modified Jeep, Datsun about to get a 351, and now a 528i
Old 10-04-2009, 04:26 PM

man... that sucks i thought i would only need to change the boot, anyone know a place to get a "NICE RACK" for a decent price... and anyone who can install it for a good price too... and is there a write up on how a broom stick alignment works...
Old 10-04-2009, 04:35 PM
livin large

Mein Auto: 2012 hypermotard 796
Quote:
man... that sucks i thought i would only need to change the boot, anyone know a place to get a "NICE RACK" for a decent price... and anyone who can install it for a good price too... and is there a write up on how a broom stick alignment works...
you can find good ones at junkyards or you can just drop the money into a rebuilt.

and you broomstick alignment
http://www.allpar.com/fix/alignment.html

i dont use pins, i just mark the tire with a paint pin
Old 10-05-2009, 12:26 AM
E34 Converted E30 Fanatic

Send a message via MSN to _Ethrty-Andy_
Mein Auto: E34 Touring AC Schnitzer
Quote:
Originally Posted by downhiller View Post
you can find good ones at junkyards or you can just drop the money into a rebuilt.

and you broomstick alignment
http://www.allpar.com/fix/alignment.html

i dont use pins, i just mark the tire with a paint pin
there is probably someone on here from your state? i dont know what states everyone is in (dont take much notice of that haha) they might help you do it. or get a friend or something to do it. you could always take it to a shop to do as well. they will do it for the price of labour seeing as you sourced the part yourself.

E30 above Sold

E34 V12 Project Thread Here: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...=502437&page=4
Last updated 2nd January 2014
Old 10-05-2009, 01:35 AM

Is there anything else I got to replace beside the rack. Meaning when I order the rack is there any other parts that I need to charge.. I might try to work on this myself when i find the time...
Old 10-05-2009, 05:24 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 1990 325is
You should probably replace the power steering hoses, the rebuilt rack should come with the tie rods (if not get those).
Old 10-05-2009, 06:48 AM

Send a message via AIM to danielw05 Send a message via MSN to danielw05 Send a message via Yahoo to danielw05 Send a message via Skype™ to danielw05
i would check the sway bar links and the control arm bushings...both are pretty cheap and easy to replace
Old 10-05-2009, 01:07 PM

Your talking about the the inner tie rods right? The bushing need to be replace one of them look pretty bad, should I just replace the control arms or can I just replace the bushing. How can you tell if the control arm needs to be replace...
Old 10-06-2009, 09:14 AM

Mein Auto: 1990 325is
Bav. Auto has the tie rods as a unit for $44.95, of course you would need two. Some places may have the inner and outer separate, so keep that in mind. As far as the bushing goes, if it's the one I believe you're talking about that is available separately. To determine if the control arm needs replaced (the bearing actually unless the control arm is bent), you check for play or looseness. If the "boot" is tore at the bearings you probably should replace the arm (dirt, grime, etc. will cause the bearing to wear quickly). New control arms are about $80 (the bearings are installed). If the control arm has never been replaced it is likely wore. If these parts are wore you can't get a good alignment, and of course your tires will wear irregularly and/or quickly.