Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E36/7 Z3 (1996-2002)

E36/7 Z3 (1996-2002)
E36/7 Z3 Roadster, Z3 coupe, Z3 M Roadster and Z3 M Coupe talk with our gurus here.

Old 10-07-2009, 09:16 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: bmw
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Forbes View Post
Without looking up your part numbers, the choices probably relate to 1st and 2nd undersizes (crankshaft ground undersize requires a smaller diameter bearing insert).
Randy was right about the bearing being different sizes.

Here is a site listing the bearings and part numbers , It also shows the red and blue bearings but say ended next to some of them, Is that when they replace the bearings the first time and then changed them again 6-2003 Boy with all these choices I'm glad you guys gave me the Kit part numbers. I'm certainly not looking forward to changing my bearings , one tiny little screw up and look what a new short block lists for 21,000 How can that possibly be that much money.

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...00&hg=11&fg=20
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...86&hg=11&fg=05
Old 10-07-2009, 10:00 PM
19,585 Miles

Mein Auto: Z4 M Coupe 6LL93033
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mroads View Post

Here is a site listing the bearings and part numbers , It also shows the red and blue bearings but say ended next to some of them, Is that when they replace the bearings the first time and then changed them again 6-2003 Boy with all these choices I'm glad you guys gave me the Kit part numbers. I'm certainly not looking forward to changing my bearings , one tiny little screw up and look what a new short block lists for 21,000 How can that possibly be that much money.
Bearings Up to 06/23 ended.
Under that is the current part number. Same part in my Z4.

You can't go by realoem pricing. Retail is $16,868.70 plus $2000 core. Have to pay that since they don't want it.

When I was going to purchase one for my '01 M coupe it was around $6,000 including core.
Lot of part changes after the Z3 engines.
Old 10-08-2009, 07:23 AM
Investigative Tinkerer

Mein Auto: ///Motorized Vehicles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mroads View Post

Here is a site listing the bearings and part numbers , It also shows the red and blue bearings but say ended next to some of them, Is that when they replace the bearings the first time and then changed them again 6-2003 Boy with all these choices I'm glad you guys gave me the Kit part numbers. I'm certainly not looking forward to changing my bearings , one tiny little screw up and look what a new short block lists for 21,000 How can that possibly be that much money.http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...00&hg=11&fg=20
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...86&hg=11&fg=05
It doesn't. MSRP=$16,868.70 + $2000.00 core.

RealOEM is great for looking up part numbers, but their prices aren't accurate at all. For current dealer pricing, go to: http://www.trademotion.com/partlocat...gOEM&siteid=26

Randy Forbes
1957 Austin-Healey 100/6 Wine Red
1961 McCulloch R1 go-kart Screaming Yellow
1995///M3 Coupe Dakar Yellow Eurosport Twinscrew S/C
1999///M Rdstr Cosmos Black Eurosport Twinscrew S/C
1999///M Coupe Estoril Blue Eurosport Twinscrew S/C
2001///M Rdstr Steel Gray
2011 X5 35i Sport Deep Sea Blue/Cinnamon
Old 10-08-2009, 08:41 AM
Oldman M Coupe

Mein Auto: 2000 M Coupe
Found this earlyNotes

SI B 11 04 02
Engine

June 2003 SB, At first BMW said MZ3 did not need bearing recall, but this showed up.
Service Engineering

This Service Information bulletin supersedes S.I. B 11 04 02 dated December 2002.

Note : Changes to this edition are identified by bold text.

[NEW] designates changes to this revision

SUBJECT
S54 Engine - Extended Warranty

MODEL
E36/7, M roadster/coupe with 554 engine from 02/01 up to 06/02

[NEW] E46, M3 coupe/convertible with 554 engine from 03/01 up to 09/03 change

SITUATION
There have been reported cases of damage to the connecting rod bearings resulting in 554 engine failure.

Typical customer complaint would be: "engine knocking or rattling noise".

[NEW] After intensive and thorough investigation is was concluded that due to contamination of the S54 engine lubricating system during engine assembly in combination with unfavorable tolerances in the oil pump, the connecting rod bearings can be overheated which may lead to their damage and possible engine failure on M3 coupe/convertible vehicles produced from October 2001 through February 2002.

[NEW] Service Action was initiated on those vehicles to replace the engine oil pump, and as a precautionary measure, to replace the connecting rod bearings. Additionally, the engine control module will be programmed with the latest software, which includes improved cold start characteristics. Customers were notified of this Service Action through mailing campaign, initiated at the beginning of April 2003. Service Information B11 02 03 contains a detailed repair instruction as well as all warranty information.

[NEW] Also, in order to further strengthen our customer's confidence in the M brand products, BMW of North America has extended the warranty on all internal mechanical engine components that are lubricated by engine oil to 6 years or 100,000 miles, whichever comes first, for all model year 2001, 2002, and 2003 (up to September 2003 production) on M cars with 6 cylinder (S54) engine (VIN specific). Use DCS to check if a specific VIN is affected by this engine warranty extension.

[NEW] Customers were already notified of warranty extension. The customer mailing also included a warranty extension statement to be inserted into the Service & Warranty booklet. Copies of the customer letters, Q & A sheet, and extended warranty statement are included this bulletin. The Q&A sheet is for your use only.

You have already received a supply of the extended warranty statements (inserts).

Please make sure that this supplemental page, with the VIN filled-in, is inserted into the Service and Warranty booklet on all S54 equipped vehicles in your stock inventory prior to customer delivery, if not already performed during vehicle processing at VDC/ICP.

WARRANTY INFORMATION
For information only.

SB, At first BMW said MZ3 did not need bearing recall, but this showed up.
Old 10-08-2009, 10:40 AM
19,585 Miles

Mein Auto: Z4 M Coupe 6LL93033
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldman M Coupe View Post
Found this earlyNotes

SI B 11 04 02
Engine

June 2003 SB, At first BMW said MZ3 did not need bearing recall, but this showed up.
Service Engineering

This Service Information bulletin supersedes S.I. B 11 04 02 dated December 2002.

Note : Changes to this edition are identified by bold text.

[NEW] designates changes to this revision

SUBJECT
S54 Engine - Extended Warranty

MODEL
E36/7, M roadster/coupe with 554 engine from 02/01 up to 06/02

[NEW] E46, M3 coupe/convertible with 554 engine from 03/01 up to 09/03 change

SITUATION
There have been reported cases of damage to the connecting rod bearings resulting in 554 engine failure.

Typical customer complaint would be: "engine knocking or rattling noise".

[NEW] After intensive and thorough investigation is was concluded that due to contamination of the S54 engine lubricating system during engine assembly in combination with unfavorable tolerances in the oil pump, the connecting rod bearings can be overheated which may lead to their damage and possible engine failure on M3 coupe/convertible vehicles produced from October 2001 through February 2002.

[NEW] Service Action was initiated on those vehicles to replace the engine oil pump, and as a precautionary measure, to replace the connecting rod bearings. Additionally, the engine control module will be programmed with the latest software, which includes improved cold start characteristics. Customers were notified of this Service Action through mailing campaign, initiated at the beginning of April 2003. Service Information B11 02 03 contains a detailed repair instruction as well as all warranty information.

[NEW] Also, in order to further strengthen our customer's confidence in the M brand products, BMW of North America has extended the warranty on all internal mechanical engine components that are lubricated by engine oil to 6 years or 100,000 miles, whichever comes first, for all model year 2001, 2002, and 2003 (up to September 2003 production) on M cars with 6 cylinder (S54) engine (VIN specific). Use DCS to check if a specific VIN is affected by this engine warranty extension.

[NEW] Customers were already notified of warranty extension. The customer mailing also included a warranty extension statement to be inserted into the Service & Warranty booklet. Copies of the customer letters, Q & A sheet, and extended warranty statement are included this bulletin. The Q&A sheet is for your use only.

You have already received a supply of the extended warranty statements (inserts).

Please make sure that this supplemental page, with the VIN filled-in, is inserted into the Service and Warranty booklet on all S54 equipped vehicles in your stock inventory prior to customer delivery, if not already performed during vehicle processing at VDC/ICP.

WARRANTY INFORMATION
For information only.

SB, At first BMW said MZ3 did not need bearing recall, but this showed up.
Yes, the Z3's got the warranty. Dwayne purchased my coupe and had an engine problem after the warranty and they took care of it.
Old 01-05-2011, 07:36 PM

Mein Auto: 2001 Magnetic Red C5
Hey guys, bringing this back. Somehow came across this thread in my Googling of S54 block numbers.

Im currently building a 2004 E46 M3 racecar. In doing preventative pre-race work, I was in the middle of replacing the rod bearings when I noticed the rod bolts were M11. Since BMW doesnt even make M11 anymore and were replaced w/ the newer M10s and associated connecting rods, is it safe to assume that the motor in this car is a replacement engine from an earlier era?

My serial # is not stamped and is like 01 M Roadster's plate. It reads as follows:

32 6 S4 01A
0784 A 102
1100 7 831 914
MADE IN GERMAY

According to real oem, this motor part number is a reman from Up to 04/2003: http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...=11&fg=05&hl=6

Oddly, there is NO history (at least not in BMW's system) that this 2004 M3 has ever had an engine replacement. The car itself has 90k miles on it.

Are my assumptions above correct?
#199 IP/GTS3 M3
Old 01-05-2011, 08:57 PM
Investigative Tinkerer

Can't answer your question, but ARP does offer 11mm replacement rod bolts.

To date, I haven't used their 11mm bolts in any of the dozen or so (14-15?) engines S-54 engines I've swapped bearings in.

I've always put the bolt back in it's original hole, as per the TIS.

Red bolts always on right:

Randy Forbes
Old 01-06-2011, 06:10 AM

Mein Auto: 2001 Magnetic Red C5
Unfortunately I failed to mark them on removal so now I'm pretty much stuck with the ARP route...

Side question: where do u get those paint markers from?
#199 IP/GTS3 M3
Old 01-07-2011, 09:41 AM
Investigative Tinkerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnetic1 View Post
Unfortunately I failed to mark them on removal so now I'm pretty much stuck with the ARP route...

Side question: where do u get those paint markers from?
Local office supply houses should have them.

http://www.staples.com/uni-Paint-Mar...duct_SS1003205

Randy Forbes