Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > BMW Diesel Owners / Enthusiasts

BMW Diesel Owners / Enthusiasts
Do you own a diesel powered BMW? Maybe a 335d or a BMW x35d? Come and talk about what makes your car great!

Old 10-06-2009, 04:56 PM
diesel evangelist

Mein Auto: Camry hybrid + MB e300D-T
Quote:
Originally Posted by swartzentruber View Post
Yes, that is also very true based on my observations. Diesel demand in the US is mostly driven by semi-truck traffic, and that tends not to fluctuate nearly as much as passenger car driving. It does tend to trend long term based on the overall economy, and I do wonder if we will see diesel above premium again once the economy returns to normalcy.
agreed on the relative stability of diesel prices. not so sure about equating diesel>premium gasoline to "normalcy". If you look at the EIA site i linked to earlier, you can observe historic prices, and those are typically showing diesel to be much less than premium for a long time. It got switched around a couple of years ago. I would hope that normalcy would show the lower refining costs that should result in cheaper diesel.

I filled up my tdi tonight. Diesel was $2.52 and Premium was $2.56.
Old 10-06-2009, 06:12 PM
BMW d Driver

Mein Auto: e46 M3, 335d
Quote:
Originally Posted by 02 330Ci View Post
A point I wanted to make about ULSD and its lubricity, I know it says it is good for all diesels but that is not really true, in older diesels they depend on the heavier sulfur for both power and lubrication. You would want an additive in every tank I believe it would benefit new engines too.
New engines are designed for the ULSD though, so you should be fine using it as is.
Old 10-06-2009, 06:48 PM
diesel evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02 330Ci View Post
A point I wanted to make about ULSD and its lubricity, I know it says it is good for all diesels but that is not really true, in older diesels they depend on the heavier sulfur for both power and lubrication. ....
as a an older diesel operator, i can tell you that ULSD does fine for power. I believe the estimate is a 1% loss of energy content, so not enough to notice.

The process of removing sulfur also removes natural lubricity, which is compensated partly for with lubricity additive, but not enough for the standards i referenced earlier.
Old 10-06-2009, 07:08 PM
Tar Heel Faithful

Send a message via AIM to AzNMpower32
Mein Auto: 2006 325i sport
I'm seeing prices around $2,40-2,49/US gallon for diesel ($0,63-0,66/litre). Premium varies widely by locality.
Old 10-06-2009, 08:12 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Send a message via AIM to dakarm
Mein Auto: 00 M Coupe, 08 MCS JCW S1
Quote:
Originally Posted by anE934fun View Post
This is an example of how a monopoly can f**k you. dakarm is located maybe 50 miles from where I am and as a result can get diesel (and gas for that matter)~$0.20/gallon cheaper. If the price differential were greater, it would be worth the savings to drive to Danville to fill up....
you're gonna be really mad when i tell you that the price at Chevron and at the Arco it's 15-20cents cheaper (gas and diesel). about 1/8th of a mile away from each other.
'12 X5d
'12 MINI Countryman S
Old 10-07-2009, 10:00 AM
hang up and drive!

Mein Auto: 335d
Check out this website

http://www.eia.doe.gov/bookshelf/bro...sel/index.html

Why are diesel fuel prices higher than gasoline prices?

Historically, the average price of diesel fuel has been lower than the average price of gasoline. However, this is not always the case. In some winters where the demand for distillate heating oil is high, the price of diesel fuel has risen above the gasoline price. Since September 2004, the price of diesel fuel has been generally higher than the price of regular gasoline all year round for several reasons. Worldwide demand for diesel fuel and other distillate fuel oils has been increasing steadily, with strong demand in China, Europe, and the United States, putting more pressure on the tight global refining capacity. In the United States, the transition to ultra-low-sulfur diesel fuel has affected diesel fuel production and distribution costs. Also, the Federal excise tax on diesel fuel is 6 cents higher per gallon (24.4 cents per gallon) than the tax on gasoline.
Old 10-07-2009, 10:06 AM
hang up and drive!

And for you folks in the land of fruits and nuts!

Why are West Coast diesel fuel prices higher and more variable than others?

Diesel prices on the West Coast, especially in California (CA), are relatively higher than other regions of the country, partly because of taxes, but mainly because of supply issues. The State of California assesses a combined State and local sales and use tax of 7.25 percent on top of the 24.4 cents/gallon Federal excise tax and an 18.0 cents/gallon State tax. Washington’s tax of 34 cents/gallon is one of the highest in the country. Besides taxes, West Coast retail prices are more variable than others because there are relatively few supply sources: 21 of the 36 refineries located in West Coast states are in CA. California refineries need to be running at near full capacity just to meet in-state demand. If more than one refinery in the region experiences operating difficulties at the same time, the diesel supply may become very tight and prices may spike. The West Coast’s substantial distance from Gulf coast and foreign refineries is such that any unusual increase in demand or reduction in supply results in a large price response in the market before relief supplies can be delivered. The farther away the necessary relief supplies are, the higher and longer the price spike will be.
Old 10-07-2009, 11:49 AM

Mein Auto: 2010 335d
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyingman View Post
Why are West Coast diesel fuel prices higher and more variable than others?

Diesel prices on the West Coast, especially in California (CA), are relatively higher than other regions of the country, partly because of taxes, but mainly because of supply issues. The State of California assesses a combined State and local sales and use tax of 7.25 percent on top of the 24.4 cents/gallon Federal excise tax and an 18.0 cents/gallon State tax. Washington’s tax of 34 cents/gallon is one of the highest in the country. Besides taxes, West Coast retail prices are more variable than others because there are relatively few supply sources: 21 of the 36 refineries located in West Coast states are in CA. California refineries need to be running at near full capacity just to meet in-state demand. If more than one refinery in the region experiences operating difficulties at the same time, the diesel supply may become very tight and prices may spike. The West Coast’s substantial distance from Gulf coast and foreign refineries is such that any unusual increase in demand or reduction in supply results in a large price response in the market before relief supplies can be delivered. The farther away the necessary relief supplies are, the higher and longer the price spike will be.
Setting aside supply or demand disruptions, CA taxes have to be the highest of any of the western states. Add in supply disruptions and the S.F. and S.F. peninsula monopoly and you have a recipe for having your wallet raped every time you buy gas or diesel.
Old 10-08-2009, 07:58 AM
hang up and drive!

I think another major factor in the price we see here in the US, is the value of the dollar. Don't for a second believe the international barrel of oil is really based on the $US. I am certain it is a basket of international currencies including the Euro.
Old 10-08-2009, 12:57 PM

Mein Auto: 335xi coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by d geek View Post
agreed on the relative stability of diesel prices. not so sure about equating diesel>premium gasoline to "normalcy".
Read it again I didn't say diesel above premium was normal, I said we may see diesel above premium again (meaning as it has been for the past few years) when the economy returns to normal. Historically, you are absolutely correct about the relationship, but see above for a good explanation on why relatively expensive diesel may be the new normal
Old 10-08-2009, 02:04 PM
Go Buckeyes!

Mein Auto: 2011 328xiT
I have had a diesel van for 5 years. I live in Ohio and what I have noticed is that diesel never fluxuates like gas. Every year when the demand for gas goes up, typically near Memorial day, summer vacations start and gas prices pass diesel. As the summer goes on, gas usually peaks and diesel creeps up usually past premium, then they come back down in the fall too. When most people in the US were talking about $4.00 gas 2 summers ago, diesel hit $5.00( I know everyone overseas wish that was what they were paying)
Old 10-09-2009, 01:40 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 335d
Here is my contribution to this thread. Yesterday i drove from Coral Springs Florida to Clearwater Florida and back. Total trip was 526 miles. THe trip was about 98% highway. I set the cruise at 80mph and had a couple of quick bursts to 100 passing some folks. I paid $2.59 gallon at my local BP. Cost was the same as mid-grade gasoline. I got 33.6 MPG for the trip. I have about 4500 miles on the car.
Old 10-09-2009, 01:46 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 330i ZHP Imola Red
SF BayArea....

diesel $2.89 --- for our truck
Premium $3.39 ---- for the BMW

- Real Horse Power - 2005 Shire
Old 10-09-2009, 02:16 PM
Heading south in 2016

Mein Auto: 2009 335d
I just filled up today at a Sunoco station. I usually use Exxon. I had to use the diesel funnel as the pump nozzle was too large. Just a warning for those who haven't used the funnel yet. I had no problems while my tank was filling but when it did finally fill, man did I get a lot forced out just as the pump clicked off! All down the side of the car.

On a lighter note, the looks I got from the truck drivers as I pulled up was priceless. They all had that "dumbass" look on thier face that went to a look of shock when they thought I was putting diesel in a petrol car. Some guy in a lifted F-150 was passing by after gassing up and stopped, got out of his pickup and said, "Is that a diesel?" I told him it was and he asked what the horsepower was. I told him and added what the torque was and his eyes bugged out. He said, "Man, that must be fast!"

Saepius Exertus, Semper Fidelis, Frater Infinitas
Often Tested, Always Faithful, Brothers Forever

Better to live one day as a Lion than a hundred years as a Sheep
Old 10-10-2009, 10:52 AM
hang up and drive!

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeincs View Post
Here is my contribution to this thread. Yesterday i drove from Coral Springs Florida to Clearwater Florida and back. Total trip was 526 miles. THe trip was about 98% highway. I set the cruise at 80mph and had a couple of quick bursts to 100 passing some folks. I paid $2.59 gallon at my local BP. Cost was the same as mid-grade gasoline. I got 33.6 MPG for the trip. I have about 4500 miles on the car.
Joe, we have been trying to locate you! There are two of us here, I'm in Weston and another in Sunrise. Try and connect up!
Old 10-11-2009, 08:23 AM
diesel evangelist

both premium gas and diesel were $2.62 at my favorite fuel station (Wacker's in Manchester, MI) last friday.
Old 10-12-2009, 05:28 PM
hang up and drive!

Miami today, Diesel $2.59, Super $2.69, Premium $2.59, Regular $2.39.

Diesel seems to generally equal Premium, +- $0.10.
Old 10-12-2009, 09:33 PM

Mein Auto: E90 335d
Manchester NH today: diesel $2.59 to $2.69; premium $2.59 to $2.69. Exactly the same, or within a cent or two of each other, at every station I passed.

Another upward pressure on the price of diesel is the increased costs to produce the Ultra Low Sulfur variety. This will put a short-term increase on prices as all stations transition to ULSD by the end of 2010. Some estimates say the production costs for ULSD adds up to $0.25 per gallon.
Old 10-22-2009, 05:14 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 335d '10
Gents,

For the risk of being flamed - cut an FNOB (f'n new oil burner) a break - what brand of diesel are you filling your tanks with. In preparation for taking delivery of my baby, I've been recon'ing filling stations. Here in the NoVa area Shell, Texaco, Sunoco, and Exxon all sell diesel. That said Shell and Sunoco have it available at the most locations.

Thanks ahead,

-Slug
1992-1993: 1979 528i (Bought, Driven, Sold in Deutschland)
Old 10-23-2009, 06:44 AM
diesel evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by d geek View Post
both premium gas and diesel were $2.62 at my favorite fuel station (Wacker's in Manchester, MI) last friday.
last night the same station had D2 for $2.92 and premium for $2.90. B20 was $3.
Old 10-23-2009, 06:46 AM
diesel evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by slugdriver View Post
Gents,

For the risk of being flamed - cut an FNOB (f'n new oil burner) a break - what brand of diesel are you filling your tanks with. In preparation for taking delivery of my baby, I've been recon'ing filling stations. Here in the NoVa area Shell, Texaco, Sunoco, and Exxon all sell diesel. That said Shell and Sunoco have it available at the most locations.

Thanks ahead,

-Slug
note that diesel fuel quality can vary greatly. I would do my best to talk to station managers/owners to find our what cetane their fuel has.

pogopop77 is compiling a list of known high quality diesel stations.
Old 10-23-2009, 06:48 AM

Mein Auto: 335d Touring
£1.05 per LITRE over here - that's £4.77 per gallon (using 4.54609188 litres as a gallon) or about $7.90 per gallon!!!

I'm going to have a little cry...

However our diesel does seem to generally be a higher grade as is our petrol.
Old 10-23-2009, 11:54 AM
Tar Heel Faithful

Send a message via AIM to AzNMpower32
Mein Auto: 2006 325i sport
It seems like the recent spike in oil prices made a lot of petrol prices jump.

Premium goes anywhere from $2,79-2,89/ US gallon ($0,74- $0,77 per litre). Diesel is around $2,63/US gallon ( $0,70/litre).
Old 10-23-2009, 05:29 PM
driving a D around RTP

I'm in north carolina. In my travels through my state and around the east coast I have yet to see premium diesel.
Has anyone found premium diesel on the east coast?
If so, in what state/city, at which brand station, and how much is the price difference compared to non-premium at the same station?
TIA
Old 10-31-2009, 08:32 AM
hang up and drive!

Looks like gasoline is heading upwards.

Filled up yesterday here in South Florida, $2.83/gal for regular. Diesel was just $0.05 more at $2.88/Gal. Premium was around $2.95 and Super was well over $3.00/gal.

The barrel of oil was around $78.