Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Old 10-05-2009, 07:23 PM

Mein Auto: VW Passat
Considering X3 - Help!

Hello, all. Have been reading the X3 posts regarding CPO, and hope somebody can help me with my decision...

I'm currently driving a '03 Passat GLS (love it!), but the miles are getting up there, and we need a small SUV. I've been looking at the local dealer - the Fields VW franchise has a used '04 X3/2.5 with pano roof and leather, about 45K miles, for $18K. It appears to be in great shape, but is NOT BMW certified.

One of the people I work with is a former BMW salesperson - he's telling me that there's no way they wouldn't have certified the car and put it on the BMW side of the franchise unless there was something major wrong. He's telling me to pony up an additional $6-7K and buy a CPO '06 (with fewer options, but about the same miles).

Is there anything I should be looking for on the '04? I drove it - there was a sound like a window rattle (though the windows were tight when I felt them) when we went over bumps. Given that the miles are so low on the '04, is it worth an extra $6-7K to go with a CPO?

Any help appreciated!
Advertisement
Old 10-05-2009, 09:00 PM
What a clever fellow.

Mein Auto: Autos & motos
I was considering 04 models with under 100k miles in the under-$15k range, but ended up going for a 06 CPO with 36k miles for a little more.

My main concern is that, unlike the extensive documentation available for the older BMW cars, most X3s are still under some warranty or low miles, so problem areas are neither well known nor documented, and parts are not available outside of the dealer (compare to the wide availability of aftermarket parts for an E36 or even E46 M3) and the volume of production for the X3 is also low.

I'm very much a DIY type; I really can't stand paying a dealership or indy shop to do work that I should be able to do myself, but I'm not going to 'experiment' on my wife's new-ish X3 like I will on my old beater E30. For those reasons, I opted to pay the premium for the CPO car. It really is a decision you'll just have to make yourself.

For 18k, you can add just a couple thousand more to that and have a CPO car, if you're patient to hunt a deal and willing to look outside of your closest dealership.
Old 10-05-2009, 10:15 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2004 X3 2.5i
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramblinpaulb View Post
... the Fields VW franchise has a used '04 X3/2.5 with pano roof and leather, about 45K miles, for $18K. It appears to be in great shape, but is NOT BMW certified.
A VW dealer cannot get it BMW Certified and bring it back to their lot to sell as such.

How may thousand dollars more a CPO (at a BMW dealer) is worth, is debatable.

For a 2004, maybe it's more realistic to just pay a hundred or so for a thorough inspection by an independent BMW shop, and negotiate on any faults found.

The rattling window syndrome is easily fixed by softening the rubber seal and flocking with a rubber conditioning product.

Check service records for any work done on the pano roof and rain leaks, or any other significant owner complaints that might not have been fully rectified (unlikely).
Old 10-06-2009, 08:39 AM

Mein Auto: '06 X3
Super, it sounds like the dealership also owns a BMW store, (i.e. "put it on the BMW side of the franchise") but both are almost certainly independent of each other. Remembering that the '04 was the first year of the X3 a lot of the little problems would have been corrected in the later years, up to '07 when of course a whole new set of problems surfaced. If ram is really interested he could drive it across the lot to the BMW side and have the SA there run the vin for him. That would give a good idea of the warranty and repair work done up to at least 4 years when the free stuff was timed out. Ram be sure you take it on a long test drive over some broken, potholed streets, and truck crushed highways so you get a full appreciation for the X3 ride. The '04 is supposed to be the hardest riding of them all, but you have to experience this for yourself, and with your wife. My wife hates our '06 X3's horrible ride over bad roads. She tells me what a huge mistake I made when I bought it, a lot!

Last edited by UncleJ; 10-06-2009 at 08:43 AM.
Old 10-06-2009, 10:44 AM
Aficionado

Mein Auto: '05 X3, '95 M3, '89 MkI
I would considering looking into a 2005 3.0i, it could be a $2-3k more and the extra power really make a difference.
Old 10-06-2009, 12:17 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 BMW X3 3.0i
I *think* one of the requirements for a car to be certifiable is to be <4 yrs in age.

(OO \ (|||) (|||) / OO)
Old 10-06-2009, 01:08 PM
Aficionado

Mein Auto: '05 X3, '95 M3, '89 MkI
Only less than 60k miles (at least in the USA)

Only the best pre-owned BMWs qualify for the Certified Pre-Owned BMW Vehicle Program. To be eligible for enrollment in the Certified Pre-Owned Vehicle Program, a late-model vehicle must be in service for at least six months or have more than 6,000 miles but less than 60,000 miles on the odometer. They must pass an extensive examination - a thorough and rigorous inspection by BMW factory-trained technicians. They inspect the vehicle for safety, performance and wear. If something is not right, it is fixed. If it cannot be fixed, the car cannot become a Certified Pre-Owned BMW