Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 11-18-2015, 10:21 AM
Mein Auto: Honda Pilot
Looking at 2011 X5 35i

Hi, everyone!

I have a few questions I hope you can help me with but before I ask them I want to state that I have been on many car forums and I understand that people usually do not respond well to these types of questions because all the answers can be found by searching the forum. I searched, I promise, but could find the answers. I also read the "BMW Lifetime Maintenance Schedule v03.13" floating around here (thanks to whoever shared this info; it's gold). Maybe I just suck at research

I am looking at a 2011 35i with about 72K miles that seems in a decent shape. It would be my first X5 and my first BMW so I know close to nothing so I am trying to determine if I am ready to own one

So here are my questions:

1. What should I check and look for when I go see the car?
2. What big ticket items need to be done around this mileage (72K) and at 100K?
3. How long do the tires usually last (normal driving, not pushing the car) and do fronts or rears wear more quickly than the others or is the wear fairly even?
4. Are turbos prone to failure over 100K? (the maintenance doc said they are not but I wonder if someone had any experience)
5. What are the 35i's weak spots (if any)?

I should also add that I do majority of maintenance on my cars myself so not a total noob.
I would appreciate any help, even if it's just a simple link or something (well, not a link to google or bing or the forum search box, lol... been there)
Old 11-18-2015, 06:51 PM
Mein Auto: a bmw x5 soon
We just bought a 2011 xdrive 35i with 92k.
I do know tranny and plugs will need service @100k as i am planning on it soon.
Also they have spoke of getting diff's and t-case serviced asap if it hasnt been done earlier.
So far this is my main future jobs on mine.
Bryan in Va.
Old 11-20-2015, 12:10 PM
Thanks, Bryan! I usually change all the fluids as soon as I get a used car so, yeah, I would definitely do those.

But... as of now I am still undecided whether to get this X5 or not
Anyone else want to chime in and help me decide?

Also, how important is to go CPO?

Last edited by whiggy; 11-20-2015 at 12:33 PM.
Old 11-21-2015, 07:48 PM
Official Bangle Hater
Mein Auto: '01 X5 4.4i, '00 M5
Hi Whiggy,

Is this X5 at a BMW dealer? Regardless, get the VIN number and stop by a dealer and see if the service dept would be willing to look up the warranty work for it. That will tell you if it has any major problems (I am sure there will be some warranty work, the question is what was done).

Second, run a CARFAX if you haven't done so already....third, what type of condition are the brakes and tires in? You can check brake life by going into the iDrive system and looking it up.

You have to realize parts for german cars are not cheap, so you need to design that into your budget over time.

'01 X5 4.4i Topaz Blue/Black, '00 M5 Anthracite/Red, '06 Z4M Red/Black, '05 Acura RL White/Tan, '12 X6 3.5i

Last edited by X5M5; 11-21-2015 at 08:20 PM.
Old 11-23-2015, 10:04 AM
Hey Chris! Thanks for the advice.

In the meantime I talked myself out of getting this X5. It was not at a BMW dealership and I was not ready to gamble. Also, I am a little OCD-ed and anything less than perfect is hard for me to deal with. So... bye to the X5 for now but I hope we meet again

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
Today's Posts Search