Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 10-09-2009, 04:45 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2009 X5 35d 2007 Lexus LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerrySpaeder View Post
I don't think there's a dipstick but I could be mistaken. No surprise considering the number of times I've opened the hood. The owner's manual refers only to an electronic oil level check like my e90 330i. No oil warning indicator ever appeared and I was never prompted to add oil. An oil change was performed on August 21 at 9305 miles.

In the middle of all the commotion, while the vehicle was making all that rhythmic racket, we used the iDrive to perform a system check. All I remember was a list of items with green labels showing all systems OK. Made me want to ask her, "No problem? Are you sure? Then what the hell is all that noise?!"

As far as the internal systems were concerned, everthing was fine despite the loud banging coming from underneath. Actually sounded like something came loose in the exhaust system.

The yellow gear/exclamation point indicator only appeared when I tried to start the engine after the Big Bang and after coasting to a stop.

No, the only warning indicator I've ever seen was a strange "Incorrect Exhaust Fluid" message. I say strange because I was expecting to see something more along the lines of "Exhaust Fluid Low," not incorrect. I figure maybe something got lost in translation, surprising considering how persnickety BMW is.

The appearance of the "Incorrect Exhaust Fluid" message is what prompted me to call for a regular oil service. I had actually expected the first oil change to occur after more miles, like 330i.
Jerry, there is a dip stick on the right hand side of the engine. I think it has a yellow handle on it.

Craig
Old 10-09-2009, 04:56 PM

Mein Auto: 2001 740i
What does BMW recommend for mileage drain intervals for the X5 Diesels?
Old 10-09-2009, 06:07 PM
Five is Right Out!

Mein Auto: 1987 190DT, 2009 X5 35d
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig B View Post
It says on the gas cap not to use any additives, so if I were you, I wouldn't want to void my warranty. I run premium diesel fuel and don't have any problems...

Craig
If you can even find it. And how do you know what the cetane level is in the premium fuel you're buying?

If you do some reading you'll find that all ULSD comes from the same place and the only way it becomes "premium" is the supplier BP, Shell or what have you adds their additives.

I'm not worried about voiding my warranty because I and diesel drivers all over the US do the same. In fact it will keep your oil cleaner for longer and your 2 egr valves. Believe you me you don't want those to plug up.
Old 10-09-2009, 06:18 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
Quote:
Originally Posted by diesaroo View Post

I'm not worried about voiding my warranty because I and diesel drivers all over the US do the same. In fact it will keep your oil cleaner for longer and your 2 egr valves. Believe you me you don't want those to plug up.

There is an interesting concept in that BMW has had problems with other cars that they sell in the US market, yet claim that US fuel is "inferior".....they deny warranty claims saying 'bad US fuel'...

Their problem is that they cannot knowingly sell a product to consumers if that product is destined to fail when used by that class of consumers due to the market in which the consumers live.

If there is a "problem" with some diesel fuels, BMW has a duty to warn- in an official and legally binding way (read "recall" to correct the owners manual) otherwise it is their problem.

IMHO

A
Old 10-09-2009, 06:22 PM
Five is Right Out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by d geek View Post
its unfortunate that they have a policy of 'no additives', but also a recommended cetane of 51, when practically NO pumps dispense this fuel in N America

are you really concerned about the cost of an additive when you are buying a $45-60K vehicle?
Well I just want more bang for my buck I guess...I have another source of additive that is cheaper than DFC and PS and it's the same stuff they use in the tankers to make premium diesel--it provides the most cetane boost. I haven't got an order in yet but I will soon.

BTW, cetane is not the only important thing when selecting a fuel source. Freshness is key. Think truck stops, not the small stations with low diesel sales. You don't want to be pumping fuel that has been sitting in the underground tanks for long as it may be contaminated with water and have fungi or algae growing in it.

Also, if you don't drive your diesel often, a good diesel biocide keeps the critters at bay.
Old 10-09-2009, 06:26 PM

Mein Auto: 77 530i & 09 35d
Quote:
Jerry, there is a dip stick on the right hand side of the engine. I think it has a yellow handle on it.

Craig
Maybe your's is yellow. But mine is black and tucked well away from owner's wandering hands. After all we just paid for these E70s. Obviously BMW still owns them until the warranty expires.

"Step away from the engine compartment, sir. There's nothing here to see, let alone for a schmuck like you to do. Get back in your vehicle and quit worrying your pretty little head. I'll tell you anything you need to know via iDrive and that video screen in the middle of the dash. Don't make me tell you this again."

Funf Dreisig

Last edited by Funf Dreisig; 10-09-2009 at 06:29 PM.
Old 10-09-2009, 06:38 PM
Five is Right Out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ard View Post
There is an interesting concept in that BMW has had problems with other cars that they sell in the US market, yet claim that US fuel is "inferior".....they deny warranty claims saying 'bad US fuel'...

Their problem is that they cannot knowingly sell a product to consumers if that product is destined to fail when used by that class of consumers due to the market in which the consumers live.

If there is a "problem" with some diesel fuels, BMW has a duty to warn- in an official and legally binding way (read "recall" to correct the owners manual) otherwise it is their problem.

IMHO

A
Right, and if they did detune the I-6 diesel so that it was designed to run on 40-45 cetane, nobody would buy it because it wouldn't be sporty anymore.
Old 10-09-2009, 06:49 PM
Five is Right Out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funf Dreisig View Post
Maybe your's is yellow. But mine is black and tucked well away from owner's wandering hands. After all we just paid for these E70s. Obviously BMW still owns them until the warranty expires.

"Step away from the engine compartment, sir. There's nothing here to see, let alone for a schmuck like you to do. Get back in your vehicle and quit worrying your pretty little head. I'll tell you anything you need to know via iDrive and that video screen in the middle of the dash. Don't make me tell you this again."

Funf Dreisig
Haha how true! Hey at least we have a dipstick for the engine and a fill/drain plug set for the tranny. Have you seen the lastest benz abomination for their 7-speed auto? There is no dipstick, no fill hole, only a drain hole. Using only the dealers machine, you drain and then fill via pressure through the drain hole, the specified amount.

It is becoming more apparent all the time--THEY DON'T WANT YOU IN THERE!
Old 10-09-2009, 07:47 PM

Mein Auto: 09 X5 35d
Quote:
Originally Posted by Funf Dreisig View Post
Old 10-10-2009, 02:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by diesaroo View Post
If you can even find it. And how do you know what the cetane level is in the premium fuel you're buying?

If you do some reading you'll find that all ULSD comes from the same place and the only way it becomes "premium" is the supplier BP, Shell or what have you adds their additives.

http://www.mfaoil.com/index.cfm?show=10&mid=5&pid=7

I've spoken with their lab and the cetane rating in their premium is between 49-51 cetane. Regular diesel fuel around here runs about 47 cetane.

I also use their stations that pump a lot of diesel fuel. You want to use a station that turns over a lot of fuel. You want fresh fuel when using diesel.

Craig

Last edited by Craig B; 10-10-2009 at 02:29 AM.
Old 10-10-2009, 08:58 AM
Five is Right Out!

From the company's site:

"Premium diesel fuel can vary greatly. The quality and protective characteristics depend on the additives blended into the fuel after it comes out of the pipeline."

I wonder what additive package they are using to achieve these characteristics...

Well either way you need to be sure you are running high e.g. 51 or close to it cetane diesel in you bimmer, whether you achieve it via commercially available additives or additives that the fuel company uses to ensure long term performance and reliability.

Too bad their stations are only in MO and AR or I might have to schedule a diesel tasting for my X5

Here's a link to probably more than you wanted to know about diesel.

http://www.chevron.com/products/ourf...ech_Review.pdf

Last edited by diesaroo; 10-10-2009 at 11:22 AM.
Old 10-10-2009, 12:34 PM

Mein Auto: 2001 740i
Here in Minnesota you recieve 2% Bio at every fill up. The state mandated this law several years ago.
Old 10-10-2009, 04:46 PM

Bio diesel also lowers fuel mileage...

Craig
Old 10-11-2009, 07:27 AM
diesel evangelist

Mein Auto: Camry hybrid + Volvo V70
Quote:
Bio diesel also lowers fuel mileage...

Craig
this depends on the concentration. There is less than a 1% reduction of energy content with B5, and <2% hit with B20. you'll probably notice the difference with B20, but anything up to B5 is pretty much a wash because of minor cetane and major lubricity improvements.
Old 10-11-2009, 07:41 AM

Mein Auto: a bit of everything
Bio beware

Biodiesel also increases the amount of NOx at the tailpipe. There is no experience with SCR based engines from a long term standpoint on how biodiesel may effect the PDF and SCR catalysts.

Engine manufacturers certify the engines on EPA ULSD fuel. No biodiesel. I know that the Biodiesel Board puts out a bunch of data that the bio portion of diesel can only help the engine. But at the end of the day, it's the engine OEMs that have to certify, warrant, and keep customers happy.

IMHO. I won't go out of my way to find biodiesel to put into the X5. I won't shy away of using biodiesel if its at a pump when I need fuel. Just like purchasing gasoline. If you go to an off brand station, that advertised cheap fuel, beware of the risks. High Pressure Common Rail engines aren't like the engines of 30 years ago. You can't just put anything in the tank and expect good results. Water is the biggest key.

And if anyone that buys an X5 and puts in home made bio fuel ..... you should be banned from owning any performance vehicle !!!
Old 10-11-2009, 07:50 AM
diesel evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scot View Post
Engine manufacturers certify the engines on EPA ULSD fuel. No biodiesel. I know that the Biodiesel Board puts out a bunch of data that the bio portion of diesel can only help the engine. But at the end of the day, it's the engine OEMs that have to certify, warrant, and keep customers happy. ...
and the 2009 X5 manual sez:
Quote:
The percentage of biodiesel in the fuel must not exceed 5%, referred to as B5.
so biodiesel is approved by BMW as an additive, agreed?
Old 10-12-2009, 05:58 AM

Mein Auto: Wrecked 745Li
Quote:
I also use their stations that pump a lot of diesel fuel. You want to use a station that turns over a lot of fuel. You want fresh fuel when using diesel.

Craig
for those of us that live in big cities, we really don't have a choice when it comes to fuel. I have only 1 station near me that has diesel, and only about 1 in 5 stations in the chicago area that has diesel...

-john
Old 10-12-2009, 06:58 AM
diesel evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhu321 View Post
for those of us that live in big cities, we really don't have a choice when it comes to fuel. I have only 1 station near me that has diesel, and only about 1 in 5 stations in the chicago area that has diesel...

-john
go to one of the many expressways and use a truckstop after ensuring the pump is labeled as ULSD.
Old 10-12-2009, 07:27 AM

Mein Auto: '06 X3
+1 on the truck stop! Do they even sell any diesel fuel that is NOT ULSD now for motor vehicles? I think it has all been shifted over now. I know in CA it has been for at least a year and probably more.
Old 10-12-2009, 08:09 AM
diesel evangelist

Cali has had exclusively ULSD since 2006. the rest of the country has until Dec 2010 to pump only ULSD. for 'highway' diesel.
Old 10-12-2009, 08:19 AM

Mein Auto: a bit of everything
ULSD has been the only approved on-hwy diesel fuel since October 2006.....Nationwide. Part of the EPA mandate for on-hwy truck regs for 1-1-07.
Old 10-12-2009, 08:30 AM
diesel evangelist

here's teh ULSD roll-out schedule.:
http://www.clean-diesel.org/highway.html
there certainly still is 500ppm diesel out there.
Old 10-12-2009, 10:21 AM

Mein Auto: 09 X5 35d
I'm curious about the price of a new 35d engine. Anyone know?
Old 10-12-2009, 11:13 AM

Mein Auto: 77 530i & 09 35d
From RealOEM Around $16k re-manufactured.

Funf Dreisig
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Short Engine.png
Views:	139
Size:	88.3 KB
ID:	204436  
Old 10-12-2009, 02:21 PM

Mein Auto: '06 X3
Is that remanufactured unit for the 50 state US diesels? Jerry, if it were me I would not accept a reman unit to replace the blown engine, I would insist on a brand new crate engine from the factory. Actually, I would insist on a brand new car due to the perceived diminished value of installing a replacement engine. Just my opinion.