Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series DIY

7 Series DIY
Do It Yourself forum dedicated for 7 Series BMW Owners

Old 07-20-2014, 03:41 PM
2007 760Li User

Mein Auto: 2007 760Li
Completed UK DAB Retrofit with OEM Antenna AMP

Hi
Thanks to the support of stuartjohn24 and his bespoke cables to enable me to patch into the MOST network and pull power from the NAV (without cutting cables) I completed a DAB retrofit using the OEM DAB unit and the OEM DAB compatible Antenna Amp (not diversity amp)

For anyone that wants to undertake the same retrofit, here's some info and some images of the task.

Code up the car by either adding $654 to the VO or update the module(s) (MMI = front screen and MMIF = rear screen, if fitted) and ensure DAB & DAB_ECE are aktiv.

1. Remove the boot/trunk interior.
2. Remove the NAVI, the headphone module & the DAB bracket from their mount.
3. Remove the MOST/Power connector. (mine is a NAVI03)
4. NAVI03 Pin 1 = 0V / Pin 2 = +12V
5. Slide out the power block from the MOST/Power connector. (remember the retainer clip)
6. Extract the 0V pin from the NAVI03 (pin 1)
7. Fit the 0V pin into a new 2 pin MQS connector.
8. Extract the +12V pin from the NAVI03 (pin 2)
9. Fit the +12V pin into the remaining spare socket on the MQS connector.
10. Now that the cars power is secured into a new 2 pin MQS connector, you will need to make a cable (using another connector) that splits each feed 2 ways (2 +12V pins and 2 0V pins) so it can be coupled with the connector you've just populated with the cars power. Leave both connectors apart until you have made up the DAB connector and reinserted the remaining pins back into the NAVI connector as you risk shorting the +12V to the chassis (0V).
11. Take a 0V pin and insert it back into the NAVI connector at pin position 1.
12. Take a 12V pin and insert it back into the NAVI connector at pin position 2.
13. Take the remaining 0V pin and insert it into the 4 pin DAB connector at pin position 2.
14. Take the remaining 12V pin and insert it into the 4 pin DAB connector at pin position 1.
[The more observant of you will notice that the NAVI uses the exact opposite pins for the 0V & 12V]
15. Replace the slide out power connector back into the MOST connector.
16. Extract the fibre optic connector (slide it up and remember the retainer clip)
17. Extract the INPUT fibre cable (arrow points towards the NAVI) (remember the retainer clips)
18. Insert that fibre cable into the DAB MOST connector, ensuring the socket used has the arrow facing towards the DAB (INPUT) [or use a coupler & another fibre to extend the cable as I did]
19. Take another fibre cable (you need to supply this) from the OUTPUT of the DAB to the INPUT of the NAVI. [the OUTPUT of the NAVI remains as is]
20. Feed the new connectors through the back cage of the NAVI and feed it down to where you need it for the DAB.
21. Connect up the NAVI connector and refit.
22. Feed the coax cable from the DAB tuner, behind the NAVI to the rear of the car (5m is plenty). You need to supply this and terminate either end with FAKRA connectors [the DAB uses a twin FAKRA, so if you only use a single you'll need to remove the plastic centre support on the DAB connector].
23. Connect up the DAB (the coax is fitted to the outer socket for BAND III) and fit it to the DAB bracket and refit. Then refit the headphone module.
24. Secure the coax with the existing wiring around the back of the boot/trunk to the RHS of the car.
25. Now you'll need to remove the door trim on the rear RHS of the car.
26. Pry up the entrance plate just inside the door. (it's a pain but it does pop out)
27. Move the seat forward and remove the inner side trim piece. This is the piece that has fabric inserted into a runner strip (you need to unclip the runner at the bottom in order to extract the trim up and out of the car).
28. Locate and remove both securing nuts from the side door trim and pull to release.
29. BMW talks about a special tool to remove this trim from next to the wood finished panel in front of the parcel shelf. You don't need it really, just lever it up and out and it comes out easily. (you may have an LED light connected to this trim, just remove the LED, don't risk breaking the connector as it's a fiddly clip)
30. Locate the airbag tab and pick it out, very easy so don't ruin your trim with an enormous screwdriver..
31. This reveals a screw, unscrew it and pop out the upper trim next to the rear window (the 2 clips are at the top to the right of the screw)
32. Now you should have exposed another screw on the lower trim. Remove it and pop that trim out and slide it towards you (the clip at the back, nearest the window, stays in place as this locates the trim when you replace it)
33. Take a photo of your existing wiring and remove all the connectors.
34. Use a mini right angled ratchet to remove the torx bolts (3 of them) from the amp. [there is enough cable on the rear connector to pull the amp forward fortunately]
35. Replace the amp and secure it.
36. Fish the new coax cable from the boot/trunk through the existing cable grommet and feed the cable up to where the existing cables are on the amp.
37. Secure all the cables back on to the new amp and TEST IT before you refit the trim pieces.
38. Secure all the coax in the boot/trunk, ensure the cable is nowhere near the boot closing mechanism and refit all the trim.
39. If everything has been done correctly, you should now have BAND III DAB Radio.
40. USA (or BAND L) owners will need to replace the roof antenna (the shark fin) and feed another coax cable down to the DAB tuner using the same/similar path.

It's not a difficult retrofit, although taking care not to ruin your interior will prolong the fit so ensure you have a good 4 to 6 hours available.

Now here are some images of my install:

http://s674.photobucket.com/user/buz...DAB%20Retrofit

My car has Analogue/Digital TV as well as FM / AM / CD / CDC (6 Disc) / AUX / DVD (6 Disc) both front and rear.

Last edited by Mr_Burger; 07-20-2014 at 06:14 PM. Reason: Updated Step 34
Ads by Google
Old 07-20-2014, 03:53 PM

Mein Auto: E65 730D
Very impressive!! Well done Mr. Burger! And Stuart!
Old 07-20-2014, 04:43 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: bmw745li
Nice I need to do this. Will be in touch when I start this project

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

Last edited by spyders 745li; 07-20-2014 at 04:44 PM.
Old 07-22-2014, 06:58 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: AC Schnitzer 745i Sport
Superb. This definitely needs added to the DIY forum.

Sent from my GT-I9100P using BimmerApp mobile app
Old Yesterday, 03:12 AM
2007 760Li User

Mein Auto: 2007 760Li
Cheers guys (& it seems it has been )