Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series & 8 Series > 7 Series DIY

7 Series DIY
Do It Yourself forum dedicated for 7 Series BMW Owners

Old 12-26-2016, 07:04 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '05 745i / '10 X5 35d
DIY - E65/E66 Steering Tie rod ends + steering rack grease

I didn't see any threads with pictures showing the replacement of the complete steering tie-rods, so I thought I'd share my thoughts for their replacement on my 745i.

You can purchase just the tie rod ends (ball joint + female threaded black end), but I wasn't interested in doing this job twice. Plus I wanted to inspect the steering rack teeth and apply new grease, which means I'd cut off the bellows clamp anyways.

- at 105k miles I couldn't feel or see any wear at the ball joint near the steering rack
- I went with Lemforder parts and could see only 3 differences between the BMW original parts and the Lemforder; the threaded portion was not painted black, the jam nut was not as thick, and the tapered ball joint nut didn't have the captured washer (I re-used the washer)
- after removing the complete left tie rod, I was not able to separate the threaded portion despite using a 4" vise, penetrating oil and 18" Cresent wrench. As such I had to use a hacksaw to cut the threaded area so I could reuse the plastic bellows and its small pinch clamp
- I went with BMW bellows large clamps (32-13-6-751-292) and their recommended FB-1 Lubricating Grease (83-23-2-208-093) for the o-ring seal at the steering rack and the rack teeth. Note that you need special tooling to crimp these bellows clamps correctly

I followed the instructions in ISTA/D (called ISTA+ as of v3.5X I believe) and all went smoothly. I did measure the length of exposed threads on the old tie-rods and set the new ones the same length. Eventually I'll get a real alignment done... I have had a few times when the steering wheel is fully turned right and I loose steering feedback. A different post said this was resolved with proper alignment.

Some of the torque specs per ISTA:
- Nut for tie rod end to swivel bearing @ 165 Nm
- integrated nut on tie rod end to steering rack @ 110 Nm
- jam nut to fix tie rod length @ 51 Nm
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00779.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	151.5 KB
ID:	585246   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00782.JPG
Views:	95
Size:	380.3 KB
ID:	585247   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00783.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	126.3 KB
ID:	585248   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00784.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	114.0 KB
ID:	585249  

E65/E66 Parts for Sale:
Alpina Type 743 Front Spoiler complete retrofit kit (new in box) $1200

Last edited by rippjd; 01-04-2017 at 07:23 PM. Reason: added torque specs
Advertisement
Old 03-20-2017, 12:42 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 740d (e65)
Hello and thanks for your post.

I just wanted to know how is it hard to reach the hexagonal part of the steering rod (the one attached to the female threaded part of the steering rack).

I'm planing on replacing them because I can hear/sense a little play in the one from the left/driver side.

Thanks for your answer.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series & 8 Series > 7 Series DIY
Today's Posts Search