Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series DIY

7 Series DIY
Do It Yourself forum dedicated for 7 Series BMW Owners

Old 07-22-2011, 09:16 AM
Master Tinkerer

Mein Auto: 2007 Alpina B7
Two latches, one for each side. You should see the cable leading into the latch on the side of the car that the hood release lever is on. Unsure about any differences due to it being RHD. Will try to take a picture in a bit.

Black 2007 Alpina B7
Tension strut bushings

White 2007 Alpina B7
Supercharger clutch/bearings, replaced exhaust valve/pulled head, sunroof seal, 6000K angel eyes

Black 2002 BMW 745Li (sold)
KW v3's, blue angel eyes, 8000K headlights & HID fogs, rebuilt alternator & mounting bracket gasket, sunroof seal, CCVs, plugs, sway bar bushings, timing & valve cover gaskets, valve stem seals, guibo joint, mechatronic sealing sleeve, trans fluid, sanded headlights...
Old 07-23-2011, 05:04 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 730d
Thank you Keif for the reply. I would be really grateful if you have the time to take that picture.

Regards,
OoZz
Old 07-30-2011, 12:43 PM

Finally I've succeeded to open the hood. For the RHD e65's, the latches are the other way around. For the latch on the left you have to pull the cable from left to right and the same for the one on the right. The problem with mine was the bracket inside. The housing of the cable got through that plastic of the bracket and it wasn't making any tension while pulling the lever. All the cables were in good shape but I've decided to change the whole system except for the latches as I don't want to go through this again.
Thank you again Keif for the pictures.

Regards,
OoZz
Old 08-01-2011, 04:23 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: BMW 740d 2004
Thanks Keif for a very nice procedure. Unfortunatly it didn't work very well for my 740d. Seems the engine compartment is completely rearranged for my V8 diesel compared to your V8 gasoline engine.

I tried getting to the latches from below on both sides of the car but there was always lots of things blocking my access. I spent 6 hours on saturday trying to remove stuff from below to reach the latches without success.

The reason my hood is stuck is because I decided to charge the battery overnight and placed the small charger just behind the attachment point for the shock absorber on the passenger side of the engine compartment. Then placed the extension cable a little to the right of the passenger side latch and down and out below the kidneys and closed the hood. After that it won't open.
I'm guessing the extension cable is putting pressure between the car frame and the hood so that for some reason the latch won't open.

Pretty much scratching my head now trying to come up with a solution... :-/
Only thing I can think of is to follow your procedure to get to the cable that's connected to the release handle inside the car and just pull it hard with some pliers.

2004 BMW 740d
Old 08-02-2011, 03:14 AM

To get access to the latches I had to take both front wheels off and then the plastic covers. I've started with the latch on the left because mine is RHD. Took off the left wheel, unscrew the plastic underneath the wing but the windscreen washer bottle was in the way. Took it off and then I was able to see the latch and the cable. I've pulled the cable to the right strongly and the bonnet popped up on one side. Then I've put everything back together, did the same on the other side and success. I've replaced the whole system for a piece of mind.
I suggest you start with the right latch because your handle is on the left. The cable firstly goes to the latch on the left and from there another cable to the one on the right.
Took me a bit over 30 min. Hopefully this will help.

Regards,
OoZz
Old 08-02-2011, 04:25 AM

I tried doing that on both sides. Removed the wheels, removed the windscreen washer container but above that is a metal plate and bar as well as the air filter box (this is on the driver's side). On the passenger side I found what looked like a hydraulic pump right inside the plastic cover and above that the second air filter box (got one on each side of the engine compartment with my 40d engine).

Tried wiggling my arm, hand and fingers around the parts that I was unable to move or take out but reaching the latches was a no go...

So unfortunatly I don't seem to have the same access from below on my V8 diesel as you have on your straight-6 diesel...

2004 BMW 740d
Old 08-02-2011, 05:19 AM

I was just looking at Keif's DIY for removing the bumper... With the bumper removed would it be possible to reach the latches going underneath the headlights or between the headlights and the radiator unit?

2004 BMW 740d
Old 08-02-2011, 06:03 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 750Li
I had the same problem hamilton, in that Keif's awesome post didn't work for my 750Li. Unfortunately, I don't think you will not be able to remove the the headlight without opening the hood. I removed my bumper and headlight to replace my cables after an INDY got it open for me. He charged one hour labor, but said that it took longer and would charge more in the future for 750's. He was not able to release my latches but he was able to take a long pair of pliers to reach the cable leading to the first latch. He yanked it real hard to release the first latch and in doing so it released the second latch in the system as well. I do think that it is worth a try to pull the cable iside the car after taking off the bonnet because of the reason your hood may be unable to open. It may just be lodged in the cords. Hope this helps, good luck.

2007 BMW 750Li w/ Comfort Access and Soft Close Doors

Luxury Seating Package w/massaging driver seat, ventilated front seats, a heated steering wheel and rear sunshades

Premium Sound Package w/ 13-speaker Logic 7 sound system with an in-dash CD changer

Staggered Chrome Rims/Michelin Pilots & BMW Centers
Old 08-02-2011, 03:02 PM
Master Tinkerer

That yanking on the cable procedure was the thing that usually ended up being the easiest, but I think I tore up the connectors a little more doing it; fortunately on the 745's you can reach up and push the latch lever over. If someone can bring me a 750, I'd be happy to check one out though!

Black 2007 Alpina B7
Tension strut bushings

White 2007 Alpina B7
Supercharger clutch/bearings, replaced exhaust valve/pulled head, sunroof seal, 6000K angel eyes

KW v3's, blue angel eyes, 8000K headlights & HID fogs, rebuilt alternator & mounting bracket gasket, sunroof seal, CCVs, plugs, sway bar bushings, timing & valve cover gaskets, valve stem seals, guibo joint, mechatronic sealing sleeve, trans fluid, sanded headlights...
Old 08-07-2011, 07:43 AM

Finally got the hood open!

Following Keif's procedure for removing the handle and covers inside the car to get to the cable itself and then pulling on it with a set of pliers managed to release the latches and get the hood open!

But the problem that caused the hood to get stuck turned out to be exactly the same problem Keif had in that the plastic stop for the cable sheath was broken so the metal sheath had been pulled along with the cable.
So now I just have to order a new cable and bracket. But at least now I can drive the car without any worries that the battery charger or any of its wires I had under the hood will cause a catastrophic engine failure.

2004 BMW 740d

Last edited by Hamilton1974; 08-07-2011 at 07:45 AM.
Old 08-08-2011, 11:47 AM
Master Tinkerer

Congrats!

Black 2007 Alpina B7
Tension strut bushings

White 2007 Alpina B7

Old 08-15-2011, 05:55 PM

Mein Auto: 740i
All I can say is: LUV YA BABY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-29-2012, 02:53 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 BMW 750LI,
Hood Cable Replacment 2006 750LI

I took the challenge of replacing my cables after the hood would not open. As noted a few post prior (4realGuy) the 06 750LI is much different than the 745 and in my opinion there is no way to open a hood that has damaged cables on that car without taking to the shop. My luck was that the damage was the bracket located within the interior as noted by Keif's post. I was able to pull the cable with a needle nose and viola! the hood opened. Now I am not sure about anyone else with a 750 but I had to remove the entire front bumper and cover parts in the engine compartment to get to the cabling system and even then the work space was a bit tight.

At the end of the day I have three new cables and a bracket and handle and hope to never need replacement again!

Thanks Keif and 4realGuy for your post they were extremely helpful.
Old 02-08-2012, 02:38 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 BMW 745Li
hey keif, i have an 05 745Li. i cant open my hood at all. When i pull the lever from the inside there is no initial pop and the latch in the grill pulls out with no effect. I followed your instructions on the video with no luck at all. i could see the wire and could not find the actual latch you were showing in the video. i even tried taking pair of pliers and pull on the actual cord and that did nothing either. im stumped... and ideas?
Old 03-04-2012, 12:47 PM

Mein Auto: 2003 745Li
Thanks for the awesome directions and photos, Keif !!!

Replaced my cable and inside bracket with no probs and now it works like a charm.

One word of advice to anyone about to do this. Don't bother trying to open the hood from the outside. As Keif mentions, your inside bracket is likely worn anyway so you should just start on the inside. After struggling to open my hood from the outside for several hours to no avail, I took apart the inside and after separating the cable from the lever bracket I was able to just pull the cable with pliers and pop the hood right up. Also ordered parts from Maximillian with priority shipping and it took ELEVEN DAYS for them to arrive. I'd try somewhere else.
Old 04-06-2012, 03:26 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 745Li
Nice DIY Keif, my problem is the actual handle on the hood under the grill broke, is there a way to lift the hood with the broken handle.
Old 04-06-2012, 10:32 PM
Master Tinkerer

When you are standing in front of the car, facing the grille, use a screwdriver or wrench or something in the right kidney grille to push the latch itself to the lower left. (uploading video now to one of the hood cable failure picture sets of mine)

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Bimmer App

Black 2007 Alpina B7
Tension strut bushings

White 2007 Alpina B7

Last edited by Keif; 04-06-2012 at 10:37 PM.
Old 04-15-2012, 02:29 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 745Li
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keif View Post
When you are standing in front of the car, facing the grille, use a screwdriver or wrench or something in the right kidney grille to push the latch itself to the lower left. (uploading video now to one of the hood cable failure picture sets of mine)

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Bimmer App
Thanks Keif got it fixed and replaced.
Old 01-17-2013, 03:51 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 760Li V12
Hello, was there a solution for the 750 or 760 for opening the hood when the cable is broken?
Old 01-18-2013, 02:00 PM

Mein Auto: n/a
Hi,

My hood release latch failed on me and now I can't open the hood. When I pull it nothing happens. I think I yanked the wire due to wear and tear. I tried to read Kief's thread about fixing it, but I'm confused about how I can open the hood in the first place.

Do I:

-remove driver side front grill and reach in?
-or remove the driver side lower panel and the little opening in front of the tire and reach in?
-or do I remove the latch from it's screw and pull on the wire manually from inside?

Please help,
Thank you..
Old 01-18-2013, 08:44 PM

Ok, I was not able to open the hood by disassembling the latch lever from the driver seat. I then pulled the cable with pliers and it popped the hood. I open the plastic enclosure holding the two wires together and found a broken plastic peace which I assume was holding the wire coming from inside the car.

I will replace the plastic, but do you guys think I should also replace the wire(s)?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0501.jpg
Views:	571
Size:	87.4 KB
ID:	358304   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0502.jpg
Views:	490
Size:	137.1 KB
ID:	358305   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0503.jpg
Views:	475
Size:	117.7 KB
ID:	358306   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0506.jpg
Views:	537
Size:	102.3 KB
ID:	358307  
Old 01-20-2013, 07:54 PM

anyone?
Old 01-23-2013, 06:26 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 750Li
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjruben View Post
Hello, was there a solution for the 750 or 760 for opening the hood when the cable is broken?
If it doesn't work by yanking from the bonnet inside, you'll have to get some really extra long needle nose pliers to reach the cable leading to the first latch and pull till it pops.

2007 BMW 750Li w/ Comfort Access and Soft Close Doors

Luxury Seating Package w/massaging driver seat, ventilated front seats, a heated steering wheel and rear sunshades

Premium Sound Package w/ 13-speaker Logic 7 sound system with an in-dash CD changer

Staggered Chrome Rims/Michelin Pilots & BMW Centers
Old 01-26-2013, 01:33 PM
Revdynamics.net

Mein Auto: Multiple...
Didn't read through this thread all the way but this is how I stopped my cable from slipping through at the lever in the car. Just went to lowes and purchased a cable ferrule and crimped it on. Works like a champ!

Old 02-20-2013, 04:28 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 745i
styling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seven11 View Post
come on, brother, u dont have to lie, we are all friends here

i would have loved to lemon my 7
what body kit is that the gray 7 series?