Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series DIY

7 Series DIY
Do It Yourself forum dedicated for 7 Series BMW Owners

Old 02-20-2013, 04:33 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 745i
Seven11 hei what body kit is that the gray 7 series?
Old 02-20-2013, 04:34 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 745i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seven11 View Post
u can get a great deal on the 06-08 750's
what body kit is that the gray 7 series?
Old 03-07-2013, 06:27 PM
2001 740il Sport, RIP

Mein Auto: 2006 750i Sport, '14 GTR
So after a couple of days taking my car apart i'm finally to the hood release cable..anyone know what tool i need to reach the inside of the cable through these tiny cutouts?

Old 08-02-2013, 06:22 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 745i
Broken Hood Latch cable 05 745i

Thank you so much for your instructions on opening the hood. Had to take out the washer fluid tank as well but then pretty smooth.
Thanks again
Old 08-07-2013, 03:08 PM

Mein Auto: 745Li
Is this what needs to be fixed when you feel no tension in the inside hood release
Old 09-06-2013, 06:04 PM
the cleanest1

Mein Auto: E66
I did everything that's in the video and nothing is happening at all, I pulled on the latch from underneath as hard as I could and it didn't budge. Im out of options, please help
Old 12-06-2013, 01:43 PM

Mein Auto: 2003 730d
Hood Bonnet cable failure E65 RHD 730d

I thought it worth posting on my efforts to release the bonnet (hood for you State Siders) on my 2003 Right Hand Drive 730d.

Keif's photos, videos and thread were the key along with pictures of the latch mechanism. Thanks heaps.

The drivers side latch is most easily reached via a ~4" oval shaped hole in a black pressed steel panel below the latch. However on my 7 the hole is filled with the air intake so access is hard.
The panel with the oval hole also has a much smaller oblong hole higher up directly behind the latch. By putting a finger in the oblong hole and reaching down I could move but not release the latch arm into which the cables terminate. You can feel the cable going from the drivers side to passenger side latch as well.
By pressuring the cable through the oblong hole with a screwdriver, or something, you can trip the passenger side latch. Half the job done!
With a combination of finger through the oblong hole and a hook made out of a coat hanger wiggled in from the headlamp side I was able to trip the drivers side latch. Not easy! Study images of the latch mechanism to design the hook which is inserted under the cable bracket on the side of the latch. You can then feel and align the hook on the latch arm with your finger stuck in the oblong hole. Then simultaneously push the latch arm with your finger tip through oblong hole, pull on wire hook and lift and wriggle bonnet. Success at last!

Now for the mistakes I made.

Take notice if the opening mechanism starts clicking or the travel gets longer. You really don't want to do this job.

This is a two person job. One person pulling the cable and the other lifting the bonnet.

The first time it does not open it should be possible to open it by gently pulling on the cable while simultaneously lifting. Make good use of the opportunity should you get it open easily!

Do not force it, as I did, and pull the cable end through the latch arm fitting. New latch required.

As Keif says, the real issue is the plastic bracket in the drivers footwell. Check it and replace it if necessary!

I hope this helps somebody and thanks to the others on here for relaying their triumphs and tribulations.

G
Old 12-15-2013, 07:16 PM
the cleanest1

Mein Auto: E66
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleJimmy View Post
I thought it worth posting on my efforts to release the bonnet (hood for you State Siders) on my 2003 Right Hand Drive 730d.

Keif's photos, videos and thread were the key along with pictures of the latch mechanism. Thanks heaps.

The drivers side latch is most easily reached via a ~4" oval shaped hole in a black pressed steel panel below the latch. However on my 7 the hole is filled with the air intake so access is hard.
The panel with the oval hole also has a much smaller oblong hole higher up directly behind the latch. By putting a finger in the oblong hole and reaching down I could move but not release the latch arm into which the cables terminate. You can feel the cable going from the drivers side to passenger side latch as well.
By pressuring the cable through the oblong hole with a screwdriver, or something, you can trip the passenger side latch. Half the job done!
With a combination of finger through the oblong hole and a hook made out of a coat hanger wiggled in from the headlamp side I was able to trip the drivers side latch. Not easy! Study images of the latch mechanism to design the hook which is inserted under the cable bracket on the side of the latch. You can then feel and align the hook on the latch arm with your finger stuck in the oblong hole. Then simultaneously push the latch arm with your finger tip through oblong hole, pull on wire hook and lift and wriggle bonnet. Success at last!

Now for the mistakes I made.

Take notice if the opening mechanism starts clicking or the travel gets longer. You really don't want to do this job.

This is a two person job. One person pulling the cable and the other lifting the bonnet.

The first time it does not open it should be possible to open it by gently pulling on the cable while simultaneously lifting. Make good use of the opportunity should you get it open easily!

Do not force it, as I did, and pull the cable end through the latch arm fitting. New latch required.

As Keif says, the real issue is the plastic bracket in the drivers footwell. Check it and replace it if necessary!

I hope this helps somebody and thanks to the others on here for relaying their triumphs and tribulations.

G
I fixed mine, had to replace both locks and now everything works fine. I had to pull my cable with some pliers and pull it really hard for it to open and it did, took me forever and it was a pain but I got it.
Old 01-18-2014, 04:15 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 BMW 750I
I have a 2006 750 and i am having trouble getting to the latch. Please help.

Kief I am located in Houston TX as well
Old 07-22-2014, 10:05 AM

Mein Auto: bmw 750i
Hi jac2424 im in the same situation the hood doesnt open anymore maybe due to a cable failure, how did you solve the problem I also have a 750 thank you
Old 07-22-2014, 01:04 PM

Mein Auto: 730d
I am exactly the same. Could someone post some pics?

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 08-06-2014, 06:12 PM

Mein Auto: 750Li
Great thread Kief! My 2006 750Li is at the dealership right now for this very problem because I was unsuccessful with releasing the hood on my own.

I got a call back today from them stating all of the cables are good, and the latches under the hood on each side are bad. They quoted me $1050 to fix the latches. I'm going to request the part numbers and get more specifics.
Old 08-06-2014, 08:36 PM

Mein Auto: 730d
I got my non bmw and myself to fix it. It wasn't too hard. Release bumper (I had to release it as someone crashed against it) then took the wippers liquid bottle out and got to the cable. We have opened it and the realease cable can be adjusted (sensitivity) so we didn't had to change anything.

Old 09-07-2014, 06:49 PM

Mein Auto:
Damn keif where u located I need some help with my 7 sounds like your a Beast with fixing on then 7s I don't know anything lbvs