Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > General BMW

General BMW
Use this forum to talk about general BMW news/stories and to chat with fellow enthusiasts about the direction that BMW is going in for their cars and/or motorcycles!

Old 12-28-2001, 10:11 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 528i
You CAN reset service indicator light w/o a special tool on cars built after 6/2000

Just got my Bentley manual and am learning all sorts of cool trivia.

To reset the indicator:
-The car should be off
-hold down the left instrument button (the trip odometer reset)
-while holding the key, turn the ignition to position 1 (radio)
-you will see a test menu
-keep holding the button
-after maybe 10 seconds, the word "reset" will appear
-let go of the button and press again
-THe indicator is reset!

In reading about the indicator, I also learned that BMW changed the way the intervals are calculated for cars post 6/2000.
For cars buiilt after this date, it is calculated based solely on gallons of fuel consumed (for example, 601 gallons for 328i manual).

Cars built prior to this date take into account other factors such as engine temp, # of cold starts, etc. I don't know why BMW bothered to change and simplify this-- if they already had the electronics, why not just leave it alone?

If you haven't done so, I highly recommend buying the Bentley manual. Even if you never plan to work on your car, you'll appreciate it so much more and will know if your dealer is blowing smoke when you take it in for service.

One other interesting fact-- some of you may know this-- but the whole E46 dashboard including the center console sides is 1 piece! I believe this was done to lessen the chance of rattles. The downside is that if you ever damage or crack any part of the dashboard, the whole thing would need to be pulled and replaced.

Anyway, I'll continue to post interesting tidbits as I come across them.
Advertisement
Old 12-28-2001, 10:26 AM
Rest in peace, Coach

Mein Auto: '06 MZ4C, '09 WRX Wagon
Are you sure it's 6/2000? I can do that on both of my cars and they're both produced prior to 6/2000. I believe the correct cut-off date is 9/99?
"Bench racing" about track times driven by professionals are like a bunch of nerds arguing which Princess Leia is hotter, the slave Leia or the no-bra jail-bait Leia. No matter how compelling your argument is, the plain and simple fact is, none of you will EVER get to hit that.
Old 12-28-2001, 10:33 AM

Could be-- the Bentley manual states 6/2000

But hey, if you can do it, that's great. I'm also not sure if I believe what they say about the calculation for the service interval changing after 6/2000. I think its always been soley based on fuel consumed. They seem to imply in the manual that the older E46s had the lights-based maintenance system (like the one found on 5s and 7s). But I know this isn't true. Have you gotten your manual yet?
Old 12-28-2001, 11:15 AM
2001 M3:Stick, what else?

Mein Auto: ///MMMmmm good
On my 2000, when I keep holding the odo button in the "test" mode, it simply returns me to a diagnostic mode with some numbers and stuff. I never get a "reset" mode.

Mine was a first production 2000 (7/16/99) delivery so I presume it's 6/99 build.

I did find a "test" easter egg as my other post shows.
Old 12-28-2001, 11:24 AM
pimpee

Send a message via AIM to LilEccentricJ
Mein Auto: 2004 GMC Duramax Diesel
Re: You CAN reset service indicator light w/o a special tool on cars built after 6/2000

Quote:
Originally posted by robg
robg, we should start a "Bentley Manual for E46" thread for all to post things of interest that they may come across in the E46 manual, w/ page numbers for others who have the book. I have been reading mine like it's literature or something, lol and am far less intimidated to HACK (no pun ) at my car with it!

New Sig SOON!!! Just need to find time to make an 11 MB flashing sig file for my new truck
Does anyone rememeber my BMW?
Old 12-28-2001, 01:45 PM

lilE... Good Idea-- the first one of use to post the next tip/trick should do this...

There's just so many. One thing I bet people here would be interested in is the chart that shows you what all of the hidden diagnostic tests actually do. But there's just so much-- I've been reading it like a novel too. Crazy, eh?
Old 12-28-2001, 01:48 PM

Mein Auto: 323ci
cool info

but i dont see the value of resetting it while the car is still under warranty ? my mechanic did it when he changed the oil, and I was pissed at him ..... I could have gotten another free oil change soon if he didnt reset it

but thatks for the info - that manual sounds like such a great resource !!!!
Old 12-28-2001, 01:55 PM
Formerly CCs328Ci

Mein Auto: 2013 328i convertible
lilE, what does your sig mean, changed to lk standards..?
Old 12-28-2001, 01:55 PM
pimpee

Send a message via AIM to LilEccentricJ
Mein Auto: 2004 GMC Duramax Diesel
Re: lilE... Good Idea-- the first one of use to post the next tip/trick should do this...

Quote:
Originally posted by robg
There's just so many. One thing I bet people here would be interested in is the chart that shows you what all of the hidden diagnostic tests actually do. But there's just so much-- I've been reading it like a novel too. Crazy, eh?
We shall do the thread. One item I found most interesting and mind you, Iím not a mechanical engineer, was that the structure of the car was designed to bend at 26 Hertz and flex at 29 Hertz both of which are inaudible, now that takes some serious CAD system to take into account all the components that would thus be affected. Also, I would have thought the E46 to have more than 85% galvanized steel in the bodyÖ makes me wonder what panels/areas are not galvanized. Book page 400-4

And no, it's not crazy.. this is good reading!

New Sig SOON!!! Just need to find time to make an 11 MB flashing sig file for my new truck
Does anyone rememeber my BMW?
Old 12-29-2001, 05:18 AM

Mein Auto:
Re: Re: lilE... Good Idea-- the first one of use to post the next tip/trick should do this...

Quote:
Originally posted by LilEccentricJ

One item I found most interesting and mind you, Iím not a mechanical engineer, was that the structure of the car was designed to bend at 26 Hertz and flex at 29 Hertz both of which are inaudible, now that takes some serious CAD system to take into account all the components that would thus be affected.
I'm a mechanical engineering manager by profession and just thought it interesting reading on the specs of torsional stiffness. To put into proper context about CAD, it's not the CAD that generates the information on the material's stress/strain values. It is the analysis software after the CAD or concurrent with the CAD modeling, typically termed as Computer Aided Engineering (CAE) in the engineering sector. I don't know which CAE software BMW uses for its analysis simulation, and there are just as many to boggle the mind, but in the USA, the more popular brands are Pro Engineer Mechanica and a low grade competitor named Algor. I've used both, and although I favor the Mechanica, the Algor costing at 1/3 less, is not that bad either.
Old 12-29-2001, 05:52 AM

Mein Auto:
Re: Re: You CAN reset service indicator light w/o a special tool on cars built after 6/2000

Quote:
Originally posted by LilEccentricJ

robg, we should start a "Bentley Manual for E46" thread for all to post things of interest that they may come across in the E46 manual, w/ page numbers for others who have the book.
If you don't have that Bentley's manual, and us e39 owners are still waiting for Bentley to get off their ass and go into print... and/or if the manual's instructions don't work, here's the old fashioned low tech way to do it.
:

Housed within the MoDiC plug (THe round 3" dia. diagnostic plug mounted to the fenderwell underneath the hood...not the rectangular plug for OBD-2 diagnostic located underneath the steering wheel) are a series of pins placed radially from the center. Locate the #7 pin connector. Get a #8 wire, or can use a common #18 ga wire and double up the strand so that there's a good connection inside of the 3/16" dia. terminal. You are going to ground the #7 pin (I used the ground terminal next to the MoDiC) after you turn the key to the 2nd position (this key position should show the service indicator lights on the dash). It takes about 5-7 seconds of grounding to leak out the current of the storage capacitor and charge up all of the 5 green lights.

I've done this once already, and as apprehensive/paraniod as I was the first time trying it on my '98 5er, I can tell you personally that nothing blew up, nothing shorted. Since my attempt, I've posted this on the e39 board, and a few other 5er owners have successfully done it to theirs too.

I have no reason to believe that there's a different SI design incorporated into the e46 over the e39 that would render the above sequence as a failure. Would you?
Old 12-29-2001, 08:19 AM

Jedclampette--re: resetting the SI

Actually, the Bentley manual specifically states that the round plug you are referring to was discontinued on the E46 as of 6/2000 production (probably the e39 as well). SO, its actually easier now to reset the SI, since you can just use the instrument cluster--no need for a tool or shorting out wires.

BTW, are 26 and 29 HZ, "good" values? Do you know what the E39's torsional and bending values are? any other cars? I couldve sworn that the old e class was 25 hz.
Old 02-03-2005, 05:43 PM

Mein Auto: 2000 323 CI
did you ever find out how to reset it?

I have the same problem trying to reset the service interval. All I get is a test menu when I hold the trip reset. Did you figure it out? If so please help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPinTO
On my 2000, when I keep holding the odo button in the "test" mode, it simply returns me to a diagnostic mode with some numbers and stuff. I never get a "reset" mode.

Mine was a first production 2000 (7/16/99) delivery so I presume it's 6/99 build.

I did find a "test" easter egg as my other post shows.
Old 02-03-2005, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjkd67
I have the same problem trying to reset the service interval. All I get is a test menu when I hold the trip reset. Did you figure it out? If so please help.
You can't do this on 2000 MY cars (except possibly some very late builds).
Old 07-31-2005, 05:35 PM

Mein Auto: 73 3.0CS;00 528i;02 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by robg
Just got my Bentley manual and am learning all sorts of cool trivia.

To reset the indicator:
-The car should be off
-hold down the left instrument button (the trip odometer reset)
-while holding the key, turn the ignition to position 1 (radio)
-you will see a test menu
-keep holding the button
-after maybe 10 seconds, the word "reset" will appear
-let go of the button and press again
-THe indicator is reset!

In reading about the indicator, I also learned that BMW changed the way the intervals are calculated for cars post 6/2000.
For cars buiilt after this date, it is calculated based solely on gallons of fuel consumed (for example, 601 gallons for 328i manual).

Cars built prior to this date take into account other factors such as engine temp, # of cold starts, etc. I don't know why BMW bothered to change and simplify this-- if they already had the electronics, why not just leave it alone?

If you haven't done so, I highly recommend buying the Bentley manual. Even if you never plan to work on your car, you'll appreciate it so much more and will know if your dealer is blowing smoke when you take it in for service.

One other interesting fact-- some of you may know this-- but the whole E46 dashboard including the center console sides is 1 piece! I believe this was done to lessen the chance of rattles. The downside is that if you ever damage or crack any part of the dashboard, the whole thing would need to be pulled and replaced.

I tried this out..... I do get to the reset light but it just blinks for a bit and then shfits to "end". It is the wife's car so it was actually 950 over when I noticed it needed an oil change.
I am also showing 51A on the right side of the indicator so there may be an additional problem....
Old 08-01-2005, 01:03 PM

Mein Auto: 2000 328ci
Theres another step u can do. depending on your year and not sure what month the car was "built/introduced"
RESETTING OIL SERVICE INDICATOR:
If your OBC needs to be reset after completing your oil change, there are two ways. NOTE: If you miss a step, just turn the key back off and try again:

A. Model Year 1999 to Mid-2000: You should have the older round 20-pin DLC connector under your hood behind the battery terminal, you need to use a small length of wire to connect (short) pins 7 and 19 for 3-5 seconds with the ignition key in position 1 (Accessory).

B. After Mid-2000: You should not have the 20-pin DLC connector. You only need to hold the left odometer reset button while turning the key to position 1 (Accessory). Keep holding the button for 5 or so seconds until any of the following shows in the display: OIL SERVICE or INSPECTION with RESET or RE. Release the button and press it again for another 5 or so seconds until RESET or RE flash. While the display flashes, press the button one more time briefly. If done correctly, END SIA should show up for a few seconds. All done.!
hope this helps pretty good site.
Old 08-01-2005, 04:18 PM
DHP pwns ZHP :p

Mein Auto: DHP Heehee... :p
Quote:
Originally Posted by e46baller
B. After Mid-2000: You should not have the 20-pin DLC connector. You only need to hold the left odometer reset button while turning the key to position 1 (Accessory). Keep holding the button for 5 or so seconds until any of the following shows in the display: OIL SERVICE or INSPECTION with RESET or RE. Release the button and press it again for another 5 or so seconds until RESET or RE flash. While the display flashes, press the button one more time briefly. If done correctly, END SIA should show up for a few seconds. All done.!
hope this helps pretty good site.
This is the procedure we used on a friend's 323i this past Saturday and it worked fine. We had a bit of trouble remembering exactly how the sequence went, but with some trial and error we eventually remembered what to do...

'03 330Ci DHP
'06 M3 SMG
"du hast mich gefragt, und ich hab nichts gesagt"
Old 08-01-2005, 04:25 PM
racer wannabe

Mein Auto: '12 X5,'08 535i, '03 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by doeboy
This is the procedure we used on a friend's 323i this past Saturday and it worked fine. We had a bit of trouble remembering exactly how the sequence went, but with some trial and error we eventually remembered what to do...
I did the same on mine today, after a few trials I managed to reset it but if you ask me what's a sequence I won't be able to tell you
Old 08-02-2005, 09:15 AM
Supporting Vendor

Mein Auto: E63 650i
If anyone still needs the Bentley Manual, we do have it in stock
http://www.bimmerzone.com/bmwproducts.htm
Cheers to all and enjoy

Vince

| Bimmerzone.com | 1-800-357-7797 | info@bimmerzone.com | 831 Lincoln Ave, Suite 3, West Chester PA 19380 |

Video about Bimmerzone: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=me5pjPS88Bw

We are proud to be Authorized Dealers for: Sprint Booster, Peake Research, Eisenmann Exhaust, Hartge, RPI Exhaust, AutoEnginuity, Bentley Publishers, Zymol, P21S, PowerFlex USA, Brembo GT, KW, Hawk and much more!!
Old 08-02-2005, 05:28 PM

Mein Auto: ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by LilEccentricJ
W... 26 Hertz and flex at 29 Hertz both of which are inaudible...
To you perhaps, but the audible range is normally considered to extend to 20Hz. In any case, most people can feel vibrations at frequencies below the audible range.
Old 08-02-2005, 05:33 PM

Mein Auto: ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by robg

BTW, are 26 and 29 HZ, "good" values? Do you know what the E39's torsional and bending values are? any other cars? I couldve sworn that the old e class was 25 hz.
What do you mean by good? Higher frequencies imply a stiffer structure.
Old 08-02-2005, 07:08 PM
Jayhawk Fan

Mein Auto: BMW 540
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerzone
If anyone still needs the Bentley Manual, we do have it in stock
http://www.bimmerzone.com/bmwproducts.htm
Cheers to all and enjoy

Vince
So....why now 740 2001 manual? I've never even thought about getting one, but this thread has peaked my interest.
Old 04-01-2006, 02:25 PM

Mein Auto: 2002 525i
ok - just did it - you definately have to hold it - then turn key to first position - keep holding it until it shows reset- then let go and repress it and hold - UNTIL IT BLINKS. then let go and its reset. pretty simple. I got thrown beucase I was simply pressing and releasing on the second press and that did not do it. you have to press and hold it again till it blinks.
Old 10-03-2006, 10:23 PM

Mein Auto: 2001 530I E39
Hello All! I am a newbie, so be nice to me Please.. Anyways, I have 2001 530I, I thought this was a E39 model. BUT, I am looking at my registration receipt, and it says that the Model is a 51A. AAAAACCCCKKKKKKK! Please help me, I have never heard of a 51A. Is this right?
Old 10-04-2006, 10:28 AM

Send a message via AIM to xclone
Mein Auto: 2008 535iA
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjjh271 View Post
Hello All! I am a newbie, so be nice to me Please.. Anyways, I have 2001 530I, I thought this was a E39 model. BUT, I am looking at my registration receipt, and it says that the Model is a 51A. AAAAACCCCKKKKKKK! Please help me, I have never heard of a 51A. Is this right?
You do have an E39. I beleive 51A is the options package.

What help are you needing?