Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E60 (2004 - 2010)

E60 (2004 - 2010)
BMW 5-Series (E60 chassis) was first seen in the Unites States in the fall of 2003 with a 2004 Model Year designation. The E60 is now available as a 528i, 528xi, 535i, 535xi, 550i and a 535xi sports wagon! -- View the E60 Wiki

Old 10-10-2009, 08:19 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2013 BMW 335i M Sport RWD
Navigation system shows lane assistance

I was pleasantly surprised today. While driving on the Capital Beltway around Washington DC I found that BMW's navigation system shows you pictures of the lanes and tells you which lane to be on as you approach areas such as the infamous Mixing Bowl.

The image of the lanes and the overhead sign boards appears in the split screen section, replacing the arrow display.

I have this feature on my little Garmin nuvi portable unit and like it.

I didn't know BMW had the feature on its in-car system.

So far it has appeared only on the Beltway, so it's implemented for just a few interchanges, but I know Garmin also started out with just a few and rapidly expanded the database.

I don't have a picture, but see this link for an image of the Garmin showing what I'm talking about.
Advertisement
Old 10-11-2009, 06:37 PM
Into the dark ages

Mein Auto: Mystery MACHINE
about time, acura's pioneer system had that forever.
Old 10-11-2009, 06:59 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 530i
Sometimes referred to as "Lane Guidance"

The TT units just recently began to display something similar that they call "Lane Guidance" and it's pretty cool.

I have a 720 and a One/130. I have updated maps on the 720 and it has the feature. Not sure about the One/130 as I have not drove through the areas where the 720 displayed the images.
Old 10-12-2009, 04:55 AM

Mein Auto: 2010 535i M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by HokieXDriver View Post
So far it has appeared only on the Beltway, so it's implemented for just a few interchanges
I can't explain why you've only seen it once, but I've seen it many times in my '10 E60 while we were in Europe and also back here. Just popped up again this weekend at a major highway intersection where it showed the somewhat confusing exit ramps.

I use the split screen feature to show my entertainment details on the right hand side of the nav screen. What was particularly cool was that this lane indicator took over that display for a few moments to highlight the proper route, then it went back to showing my Sirius details once I was through the intersection.
Member #368921
Become a member

2012 535i Titanium Silver, Black, M-Sport, Premium
2010 535i Jet Black, Dakota Brown, M-Sport, Premium (retired)
2005 X5 Jet Black, Dakota Brown, Premium (wife's car - retired)
2002 530i Black Saphire, Grey, Sport, Premium (retired)
2001 BMW 325i, Space Grey, Grey, Sport (retired)

Old 10-12-2009, 05:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interactive View Post
I can't explain why you've only seen it once, but I've seen it many times in my '10 E60 while we were in Europe and also back here.
Good to know. I'm sure part of the reason is that I've only driven around the metro DC area so far in my car, and I haven't seen it except on the Beltway. Nice to know it's implemented nationwide. The feature isn't mentioned anywhere in the manuals or BMW's promo literature.
Old 10-12-2009, 08:40 AM

I now wish only for two more features: good text to speech ("Turn right on Main Street" - right now it can only say "US 50" or "Interstate 66"); and, which side is the destination on ("Approaching destination on right").

Garmin has a nice feature where it always tries to put the destination on the right, but sometimes it goes to ridiculous lengths to accomplish that, making you drive through people's back yards.
Old 10-13-2009, 04:19 AM

Mein Auto: 2010 535i M-Sport
Quote:
I now wish only for two more features: good text to speech ("Turn right on Main Street" - right now it can only say "US 50" or "Interstate 66"); and, which side is the destination on ("Approaching destination on right").

Garmin has a nice feature where it always tries to put the destination on the right, but sometimes it goes to ridiculous lengths to accomplish that, making you drive through people's back yards.
I'm almost certain my nav system has this text to speech today with street-specific instructions. I'll have to pay more attention today and get back with you guys.

As for routing me into back yards, nope, my system doesn't have that "feature" yet.
Member #368921
Become a member

2012 535i Titanium Silver, Black, M-Sport, Premium
2010 535i Jet Black, Dakota Brown, M-Sport, Premium (retired)
2005 X5 Jet Black, Dakota Brown, Premium (wife's car - retired)
2002 530i Black Saphire, Grey, Sport, Premium (retired)
2001 BMW 325i, Space Grey, Grey, Sport (retired)

Old 10-13-2009, 05:00 AM

Mein Auto: 535i
Actually there are two different features here - which I have noticed on my 2010 e60 (which has the same HD iDrive as the 2009 e90)

1) Exit Ramp Display - This only shows if you have the option checked in Options. When on the freeway, or other major road, a nice color representation of the exit ramp with overhead signs shows up on the right hand side of the screen. This display temporarily replaces any other split screen option, and is in full color (with green street signs, etc.)

2) Lane Preference Display - If you have arrow view turned on, then occasionally you will see at the bottom of the display a representation of the lanes - just little vertical lines - with arrows indicating preferred lane for upcoming turn. There are two arrows - a solid and an outline if I remember, indicating order of preference. This feature is only seen if you have Arrow View turned on - either on the main screen, or split screen. It is oftentimes not very noticeable, as it is small and displayed at the bottom of the arrow view display.
Old 10-13-2009, 05:56 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 535i
Quote:

My old E46 nav system would tell me what side of the road the destination was on. I guess when nav went from CD to DVD it lost that ability though I don't see why.
Old 10-13-2009, 06:08 AM
-- Robert S. Johnson 56FG

Mein Auto: 2008 535i
Quote:

OTOH, the Garmin I took with me on my vacation a couple of weeks ago, tried to have me take a dirt road for 30 miles to get to the North Rim of the Grand Canyon, because it was a bit shorter than the only paved road.

535i, Monaco, Cream, Light Poplar, Comfort Seats, PP, Nav, ED.
Old 10-13-2009, 06:56 AM

Quote:
I now wish only for two more features: ...and, which side is the destination on ("Approaching destination on right").
The current HD iDrive does announce which side the destination is on.
Old 10-13-2009, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skierdoc View Post
The current HD iDrive does announce which side the destination is on.
Really? That would be great. I haven't been able to make that happen. It just says, "You're now approaching your destination," or words to that effect: not the side of the road. My car was manufactured first week of September 2009.

Is there an iDrive preference for that somewhere?

Last edited by HokieXDriver; 10-13-2009 at 09:47 AM.
Old 10-13-2009, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interactive View Post
I'm almost certain my nav system has this text to speech today with street-specific instructions. I'll have to pay more attention today and get back with you guys.

As for routing me into back yards, nope, my system doesn't have that "feature" yet.
Mine does say street names in some cases, e.g., "Take ramp on right to Interstate 495" or "Stay to the right on US 50," but it seems to be only when the "street name" includes a number. It doesn't tell me to turn right on "West Ox Road" for example.

Again, I may be missing an option - I should go through the iDrive options carefully.

On the back yards - sure, I exaggerated a little. But recently on a trip in Colorado in a rental car, my Garmin routed me to a motel on a major road by taking me through highly obscure residential areas, past a school, and so on - all so that it could position me with the motel on my right at the end. I was like, thanks, I appreciate it, but a left turn on the main road would have been easier.
Old 10-13-2009, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Really? That would be great. I haven't been able to make that happen. It just says, "You're now approaching your destination," or words to that effect: not the side of the road. My car was manufactured first week of September 2009.

Is there an iDrive preference for that somewhere?
No, there is no preference, but it does say "Your destination is on the left (or right)." Perhaps it's city specific - depending on the data they have. I live in Houston, and it usually says it - when I have the voice turned on.

I did European delivery and having the Nav system was invaluable.

I will say, however, I have been far less than impressed with directions it gives me here in Texas. I usually always override them - as they oftentimes suggest poor routes.
Old 10-13-2009, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skierdoc View Post
Perhaps it's city specific - depending on the data they have.
You know, it just occurred to me that I've never actually entered a destination into my nav system. I've always used MyInfo from Google Maps or the BMW Assist Concierge. Maybe if I enter the destination myself, it will know whether the destination is on the right or the left. I will try that ASAP.