Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 10-12-2009, 01:22 AM

Mein Auto: Bmw E39 525I
Turning Signals and revers Light- Not working!!!

Hi Guys,

strange thing just happened in my 525.

the signal lights are working in the outside, but the dashboard signals are not working!

by the dashboard signals i mean this one:

even the click sound is gone (that click .. click you hear when you turn on the signal)

and now after this happened i dont have a reverse light!!

checked the bulbs and changed them but still not working.

checked the dashboard test (2.1) and all the lights of the dash board are working!

checked all the fuses, even the dashboard it self, but couldnt find anything wrong!!!

any ideas!?

thanks in advance
Ads by Google
Old 10-12-2009, 01:57 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: E39 530i
I would say that your thermal flasher relay is faulty...but can't explain how the external signals are still functioning. I'm sure someone will be able to shed light on this.
Old 10-12-2009, 03:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aca84 View Post
I would say that your thermal flasher relay is faulty...but can't explain how the external signals are still functioning. I'm sure someone will be able to shed light on this.

checked it and its working!

how many relays are there?! is it possible there is one for outside and one for the inner!?
and what does this have to do woth the reverse light?!

thanks for your input anyway!
Old 10-12-2009, 05:53 AM

anyone?! any idea!?

did i miss something!? i checked everything i know !!
Old 12-15-2009, 02:26 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 525tds
Hi

I have the same problem with my e39. You manage it ?
I thing that LCM - module is not normal working.

Last edited by ilmar; 12-15-2009 at 02:47 PM.
Old 01-18-2010, 12:25 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 BMW X5 4.4L
I'm also having the exact same problem with my 2005 X5!

Did you guys figure anything out yet??
Old 01-18-2010, 02:29 PM

Mein Auto: 03 540iA sport; 00 540iA
I had the same (or similar problem) - while driving the radio MID went blank and the turn signal indicators on the dash stopped working as well as the clicking sound (the outside turn signal lights were working OK). I don't know about the reverse light, I never tested it. I have an Icelink Plus iPod adapter and after some searching found out that a guy fixed the above problems after powering down the battery to reset the Icelink. I can confirm that in my case the Icelink adapter was the problem as the moment I took it off everything was fine. In my case the adapter was shot as resetting it did not help. I have the same Icelink chip on the other car and tried switching them and it proved that the one is faulty and is causing the MID and turn signal indicators to go blank on both cars, while the other is fine. So, if you do have an iPod adapter I would try disconnecting it.
Old 01-18-2010, 07:35 PM

Send a message via AIM to BMW1983
Mein Auto: 2000 528i
I had the same exact problem up to about 2 hours ago. I finally figured this all out. The problem for me was a connector to the CD changer in the trunk. I had unplugged the CD changer about 1 1/2 years ago when I installed my DICE Ipod kit in the dash. The connector had a good amount of corrosion across 2 of the 3 terminals. I snipped the connector off and instantly everything works perfectly.

This may not be a fix for everyone because as I have read more and more about this issue, the common problem seems to be the CAN bus or K bus. There are multiple circuits feeding into this wire bus and anything can cause the problem. Basically, the short across the terminals of the connector was creating a permanent draw on the system which resulted in me only seeing about .5volts at the radio and mid fuses.

I'm glad this is over with and a little ticked off at myself since I am the one who left the wire just hanging there. Moisture must have gotten to the energized and exposed connector over time and caused it.
Old 01-19-2010, 03:32 PM

Mein Auto: 540i,E36M3,335is(current)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW1983 View Post
I had the same exact problem up to about 2 hours ago. I finally figured this all out. The problem for me was a connector to the CD changer in the trunk. I had unplugged the CD changer about 1 1/2 years ago when I installed my DICE Ipod kit in the dash. The connector had a good amount of corrosion across 2 of the 3 terminals. I snipped the connector off and instantly everything works perfectly.

This may not be a fix for everyone because as I have read more and more about this issue, the common problem seems to be the CAN bus or K bus. There are multiple circuits feeding into this wire bus and anything can cause the problem. Basically, the short across the terminals of the connector was creating a permanent draw on the system which resulted in me only seeing about .5volts at the radio and mid fuses.

I'm glad this is over with and a little ticked off at myself since I am the one who left the wire just hanging there. Moisture must have gotten to the energized and exposed connector over time and caused it.
I have the EXACT same problem and I have the cd changer in the rear unplugged as well. I will try this. Can you please explain what you mean by "snipped" the connector off? Thanks.
Old 01-19-2010, 10:40 PM

Send a message via AIM to BMW1983
Mein Auto: 2000 528i
By "snipped" I mean I used wire cutters to cut the connector off from the three wires that was feeding it. Now I just have three wires with no connector. I plan on cleaning out the connector and putting it back together but for now, they are just taped with electrical tape and tucked away in a more secure area than just free floating.
Old 01-21-2010, 11:07 AM

Mein Auto: 540i,E36M3,335is(current)
Gotcha thank you!
Old 01-21-2010, 12:33 PM
Freude am Fahren

Mein Auto: 2003 540i/6 //m-tech
Only on an E39 would a bad CD connection cause the turn indicator to malfunction, or the visor light to tun on the radio (w/ a bad ignition switch).
Old 05-22-2010, 11:22 PM
Officially Bimmerfested

Mein Auto: '01 530i
Thanks for posting, Bimmerfesters! I just had to go here to find out that my iceLinkPlus must have gone bad as well. Radio and sugnal light blinkers started working as soon as I disconnected the iceLink plugs in the CD changer compartment.

Does anyone have a suggestion for an iPod dock replacement ?

Pictured above: Smart Car circa 1955.
'01 530i, ///M Sports Package, Xenon lights, Steptronic A/T, icelinkPlus iPod module
'04 328i, Sports Package, Xenon lights, Dice iPod module
Old 07-04-2012, 08:21 PM

Mein Auto: M5 E39
I have the same problem on my E39 M5. I just took out the cd slot box and put it back in. And then i worked for a few days. But maybe i must try to disconnect cd changer? With cable is it?
Old 07-05-2012, 07:55 AM

Mein Auto: M5 E39
What to do!? Please help me here. Reverse lights and turn arrows dont work. My pdc is also malfunctioning. I try to disconnect the changer, but i have the same problem. :-(