BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Starter Issues on 99 540i

2K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  nicks1k 
#1 ·
Hi guys, haven't posted in a while as Ive got new job and been working on my new to me 540i6 here and there. I have replaced a lot of parts since i got her in beginning of September: complete intake manifold rebuild, all new vacuum hoses, new maf, tranny fluid, putting new tires on today. But now there is a new issue, when i start the car warm(after i drive it for an hour or so) it makes a loud grinding noise for 2-4 seconds right after it starts then goes away. It happened once before but i didn't pay too much attention as it didn't come back untill last week. Now almost every time i start it warm it makes that whirring noise for 2-4 seconds then goes away and car drives fine, :mad: (also the noise reminds me when you have your car started and try to start it again). Few people told me its my starter which makes sense as it only happens during first few seconds when the car is being started. My question is if i drive it like that for another week will this do damage to engine/transmission besides the starter itself. The shop is asking $550 but i just placed an order for new tires and would have to wait at least till end of the week before i get some cash flow. Is it possible to DIY? i have tried searching for threads but came up with nothing relevant to my problem.

Thanks for reading any tips suggestions welcome.

#2 ·
Mine did that intermittently and was the starter. Got a new, non-used/rebuilt, starter for $109 w/shipping and it solved the problem. I was told I could pull the starter and clean and lube the bendix, but it wasn't worth my time; if that wasn't the fix, I'd have to pull the starter again. Its a fairly easy component to replace, just have to have multiple extensions to get the top bolt out. I think it took me an hour, would have been 30-40min if I had known ahead of time how to best access the top bolt.

#3 ·
The only damage that is happening is to the flywheel, the starter gear catches the teeth on the outer part of the flywheel and spins it. The noise you are hearing is when the flywheel is spinning faster than the starter can go, the teeth and gear are grinding together and ruining each other. The starter is made to be weaker than the flywheel, so in theory no damage should happen to it, however it may happen and replacing the flywheel is big money. So you should get it replaced or rebuilt ASAP.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.