Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E60 / E61 (2004 - 2010)

E60 / E61 (2004 - 2010)
BMW 5-Series E60 Sedan was first seen in the Unites States in the fall of 2003 with a 2004 Model Year designation. The E61 wagon followed shortly there after. The E60/E61 5 series is now available as a 528i, 528xi, 535i, 535xi, 550i and a 535xi sports wagon! -- View the E60 Wiki

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 06-29-2015, 03:55 PM
eliastfk eliastfk is offline
Registered User
Location: Houston, TX
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 7
Mein Auto: 2005 BMW 545i
Is it possible to replace the L7 amp with an aftermarket unit?

I know it might might take a bit, but my logic 7 unit is dead and I figure it would be cheaper if I could have it replaced by an aftermarket unit. Any input is appreciated, thanks. Car is an 05 545i.
Reply With Quote
Advertisement
  #2  
Old 06-29-2015, 04:46 PM
H F H F is online now
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Claremont California
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 2,793
Mein Auto: 2005 545i
Not the way to go ... Because the L7 amp controls all the chimes bells and whistles in the car . You can run an additional amp in conjunction with the L7 amp ...
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 06-29-2015, 05:05 PM
Kurt_ Kurt_ is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Ontario
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 367
Mein Auto: 2007 E60 530XI
The fiber optic cable makes it a pain to just wire things up. Speaker level inputs are a wonderful thing to have, preferably built in to the amp.

You may want to consider downgrading to the other stock amp, you may be able to put the signal in parallel then, maybe?

Last edited by Kurt_; 06-29-2015 at 05:07 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 06-30-2015, 06:23 AM
fdriller9 fdriller9 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: NJ/Philly
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 5,652
Mein Auto: '06 AW 330xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by H F View Post
Not the way to go ... Because the L7 amp controls all the chimes bells and whistles in the car . You can run an additional amp in conjunction with the L7 amp ...
The amp does NOT control the chimes and warning bells, etc. The head unit does.

There are ways to remove the OEM L7 amp and integrate an aftermarket one.

The easiest way would be to code the HU to HiFi so it puts out an analog full range signal that can be used with any aftermarket amp.

There are summing modules that can be used with the factory L7 output from the HU but they are stupid expensive and unnecessarily redundant.

It's cheaper just to buy a used amp off eBay and replace your current one.
__________________

| LCI Msport Conversion | Exotic Tuning Front Lip | H&R Coilovers | M3 Subframe Bushings | Custom Polyurethane Shore A90 Tension Strut Bushings | E93 M3 23.6mm Rear Sway Bar | Whiteline 27mm Front Sway Bar | Custom Heim Joint Rear Control Arms | Apex ARC-8 | Dunlop Direzza ZII Star Spec | Modified Dinan Cold Air Intake | aFe Oiled Drop-in Filter | Custom Hand-Made LED Angel Eyes | Alpine MRP-M500 | Custom LED Reverse Lights | OEM Blacklines | BMW Performance Trunk Spoiler |

Last edited by fdriller9; 06-30-2015 at 06:25 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 06-30-2015, 10:52 AM
H F H F is online now
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Claremont California
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 2,793
Mein Auto: 2005 545i
Quote:
Originally Posted by fdriller9 View Post
The amp does NOT control the chimes and warning bells, etc. The head unit does.

There are ways to remove the OEM L7 amp and integrate an aftermarket one.

The easiest way would be to code the HU to HiFi so it puts out an analog full range signal that can be used with any aftermarket amp.

There are summing modules that can be used with the factory L7 output from the HU but they are stupid expensive and unnecessarily redundant.

It's cheaper just to buy a used amp off eBay and replace your current one.
If the L7 amp is removed and a after market amp is installed the chimes bells and whistles wil Not function ..

I do agree to replace the existing L7 and add and additional amp if you desire more kick .. Is the way to go ..
__________________

Last edited by H F; 06-30-2015 at 10:56 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 06-30-2015, 12:54 PM
fdriller9 fdriller9 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: NJ/Philly
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 5,652
Mein Auto: '06 AW 330xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by H F View Post
If the L7 amp is removed and a after market amp is installed the chimes bells and whistles wil Not function ..

I do agree to replace the existing L7 and add and additional amp if you desire more kick .. Is the way to go ..
That's not how it works with E9x and E6x use the same amp and CCC units more or less.

So you're telling me if you remove the HU and replace it with an aftermarket unit, the car will still chime and give warnings? What about in cars without L7 that use the hifi amp or no amp at all?
__________________

| LCI Msport Conversion | Exotic Tuning Front Lip | H&R Coilovers | M3 Subframe Bushings | Custom Polyurethane Shore A90 Tension Strut Bushings | E93 M3 23.6mm Rear Sway Bar | Whiteline 27mm Front Sway Bar | Custom Heim Joint Rear Control Arms | Apex ARC-8 | Dunlop Direzza ZII Star Spec | Modified Dinan Cold Air Intake | aFe Oiled Drop-in Filter | Custom Hand-Made LED Angel Eyes | Alpine MRP-M500 | Custom LED Reverse Lights | OEM Blacklines | BMW Performance Trunk Spoiler |

Last edited by fdriller9; 06-30-2015 at 12:55 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 06-30-2015, 03:35 PM
H F H F is online now
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Claremont California
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 2,793
Mein Auto: 2005 545i
Quote:
Originally Posted by fdriller9 View Post
That's not how it works with E9x and E6x use the same amp and CCC units more or less.

So you're telling me if you remove the HU and replace it with an aftermarket unit, the car will still chime and give warnings? What about in cars without L7 that use the hifi amp or no amp at all?
Don't know about an e 90 or cars with aftermarket head units or without L7... The OP's car has L7 on a E60 ,,, so lets stay on topic ... Whether the head unit control the chimes or not ,, the signal chimes runs thru the L7 amp is what I'm saying ,,, and they will not work if the L7 is disconnected is my point,,, I know for a fact .. ..

As a matter of fact ,, we had a member who installed an after market amp and unplugged it . By passed the stock L7 . He posted up with the problem that he lost all the bells and whistles after his amp install .... When I asked him if he removed the L7 ,, he said he didn't remove it ,, just unplugged it and was still in the car.

I mentioned the same as I am saying now . I suggested ,,,, to hook it back up because that was the reason for for the loss of the chimes bells an whistles .. So he did ,, Hooked it back up and and sure enough the bells and whistles were back on and worked .
__________________

Last edited by H F; 06-30-2015 at 04:44 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 07-01-2015, 08:19 AM
fdriller9 fdriller9 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: NJ/Philly
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 5,652
Mein Auto: '06 AW 330xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by H F View Post
Don't know about an e 90 or cars with aftermarket head units or without L7... The OP's car has L7 on a E60 ,,, so lets stay on topic ... Whether the head unit control the chimes or not ,, the signal chimes runs thru the L7 amp is what I'm saying ,,, and they will not work if the L7 is disconnected is my point,,, I know for a fact .. ..

As a matter of fact ,, we had a member who installed an after market amp and unplugged it . By passed the stock L7 . He posted up with the problem that he lost all the bells and whistles after his amp install .... When I asked him if he removed the L7 ,, he said he didn't remove it ,, just unplugged it and was still in the car.

I mentioned the same as I am saying now . I suggested ,,,, to hook it back up because that was the reason for for the loss of the chimes bells an whistles .. So he did ,, Hooked it back up and and sure enough the bells and whistles were back on and worked .
Chassis doesn't matter. The system is the same and shared across multiple chassis'.

An amplifier is just that, an amplifier. It does not create sounds, it amplifies them.

I find it hard to believe that removing the L7 amp and integrating an aftermarket amp removes the chimes. To integrate an aftermarket amp, the HU needs to be coded to Hifi so there is a full range signal coming out of the HU.

Have a link to the thread? I'm curious how he set it up and if any sound was working at all.
__________________

| LCI Msport Conversion | Exotic Tuning Front Lip | H&R Coilovers | M3 Subframe Bushings | Custom Polyurethane Shore A90 Tension Strut Bushings | E93 M3 23.6mm Rear Sway Bar | Whiteline 27mm Front Sway Bar | Custom Heim Joint Rear Control Arms | Apex ARC-8 | Dunlop Direzza ZII Star Spec | Modified Dinan Cold Air Intake | aFe Oiled Drop-in Filter | Custom Hand-Made LED Angel Eyes | Alpine MRP-M500 | Custom LED Reverse Lights | OEM Blacklines | BMW Performance Trunk Spoiler |
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 07-01-2015, 09:26 AM
H F H F is online now
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Claremont California
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 2,793
Mein Auto: 2005 545i
Quote:
Originally Posted by fdriller9 View Post
Chassis doesn't matter. The system is the same and shared across multiple chassis'.

An amplifier is just that, an amplifier. It does not create sounds, it amplifies them.

I find it hard to believe that removing the L7 amp and integrating an aftermarket amp removes the chimes. To integrate an aftermarket amp, the HU needs to be coded to Hifi so there is a full range signal coming out of the HU.

Have a link to the thread? I'm curious how he set it up and if any sound was working at all.
You can believe what u want ,, and are entitled to your opinion . I'm not going to play wack a mole back n forth ,,, and argue with you . Unplug your L7 amp on your e60 and see what happens . Then come back and let's talk about it ...

I'm not saying that the L7 amp creates the sound , but it does process the the chimes and they will not work with it unplugged ..

And no ,,, you don't have to code the head unit on a L7 system to intergrate additional amps . I know this for a fact ... I installed and I'm running two amps plus the L7 and a additional Eq . I didn't need to code the head unit and not having any problems , works and sounds great .

If I can find the thread ill post it , it's been a long time and have to go thru hundreds of threads to search for it ... He had sound and it was working fine ,, chimes were out . Plugged it back in and chimes were on ... Maybe the OP of that thread is still with us and will post up with it .
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 07-01-2015, 10:23 AM
fdriller9 fdriller9 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: NJ/Philly
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 5,652
Mein Auto: '06 AW 330xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by H F View Post
You can believe what u want ,, and are entitled to your opinion . I'm not going to play wack a mole back n forth ,,, and argue with you . Unplug your L7 amp on your e60 and see what happens . Then come back and let's talk about it ...

I'm not saying that the L7 amp creates the sound , but it does process the the chimes and they will not work with it unplugged ..

And no ,,, you don't have to code the head unit on a L7 system to intergrate additional amps . I know this for a fact ... I installed and I'm running two amps plus the L7 and a additional Eq . I didn't need to code the head unit and not having any problems , works and sounds great .

If I can find the thread ill post it , it's been a long time and have to go thru hundreds of threads to search for it ... He had sound and it was working fine ,, chimes were out . Plugged it back in and chimes were on ... Maybe the OP of that thread is still with us and will post up with it .
Of course there will be no chimes with the amp unplugged lol there is nothing to drive the speakers

You HAVE to code the HU if you completely remove the L7 amp....unless you want to use a summing module for the MOST bus. But Like I mentioned earlier, that is redundant and unnecessary.

You ADDED amps, you did not remove the factory L7 one. That is always possible with LOCs.
__________________

| LCI Msport Conversion | Exotic Tuning Front Lip | H&R Coilovers | M3 Subframe Bushings | Custom Polyurethane Shore A90 Tension Strut Bushings | E93 M3 23.6mm Rear Sway Bar | Whiteline 27mm Front Sway Bar | Custom Heim Joint Rear Control Arms | Apex ARC-8 | Dunlop Direzza ZII Star Spec | Modified Dinan Cold Air Intake | aFe Oiled Drop-in Filter | Custom Hand-Made LED Angel Eyes | Alpine MRP-M500 | Custom LED Reverse Lights | OEM Blacklines | BMW Performance Trunk Spoiler |
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 07-01-2015, 11:04 AM
H F H F is online now
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Claremont California
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 2,793
Mein Auto: 2005 545i
Quote:
Originally Posted by fdriller9 View Post
Of course there will be no chimes with the amp unplugged lol there is nothing to drive the speakers

You HAVE to code the HU if you completely remove the L7 amp....unless you want to use a summing module for the MOST bus. But Like I mentioned earlier, that is redundant and unnecessary.

You ADDED amps, you did not remove the factory L7 one. That is always possible with LOCs.
Well ,,,, there you have it,,, and proved my point ... if you add the amp it will power the speakers ,, and If u unplug the L7 amp you will loose the chimes ..

Ok what's the benefit of having to change modules and code the head unit . So I agree with you there , its a waste of time and money not worth the hassel and totally unnecessary .

Which takes us back to my original response . Not the way to go . Keep the L7 amp , add an amp ...
Its the easiest , cost effect , most efficient way to go ...
__________________

Last edited by H F; 07-01-2015 at 11:06 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 07-01-2015, 01:35 PM
fdriller9 fdriller9 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: NJ/Philly
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 5,652
Mein Auto: '06 AW 330xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt_ View Post
Not the way to go ... Because the L7 amp controls all the chimes bells and whistles in the car . You can run an additional amp in conjunction with the L7 amp ...?
Quote:
Originally Posted by H F View Post
Well ,,,, there you have it,,, and proved my point ... if you add the amp it will power the speakers ,, and If u unplug the L7 amp you will loose the chimes ..

Ok what's the benefit of having to change modules and code the head unit . So I agree with you there , its a waste of time and money not worth the hassel and totally unnecessary .

Which takes us back to my original response . Not the way to go . Keep the L7 amp , add an amp ...
Its the easiest , cost effect , most efficient way to go ...
lol your original point was that the amp controls the chimes. That is not the case and that is what I was arguing the entire time

So YOU have proved my point...
__________________

| LCI Msport Conversion | Exotic Tuning Front Lip | H&R Coilovers | M3 Subframe Bushings | Custom Polyurethane Shore A90 Tension Strut Bushings | E93 M3 23.6mm Rear Sway Bar | Whiteline 27mm Front Sway Bar | Custom Heim Joint Rear Control Arms | Apex ARC-8 | Dunlop Direzza ZII Star Spec | Modified Dinan Cold Air Intake | aFe Oiled Drop-in Filter | Custom Hand-Made LED Angel Eyes | Alpine MRP-M500 | Custom LED Reverse Lights | OEM Blacklines | BMW Performance Trunk Spoiler |
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 07-01-2015, 02:33 PM
Kurt_ Kurt_ is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Ontario
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 367
Mein Auto: 2007 E60 530XI
For the record I never said that

The OP's Logic 7 amp is shot. It uses fiber optics from the head unit. Can the fiber optic cable be swapped out for the basic sound system cable, or is a new head unit required? RealOEM isn't really helping me. If it's the same head unit, you can probably buy the cable and cut the end off to adapt to any amp you want.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 07-01-2015, 02:41 PM
H F H F is online now
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Claremont California
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 2,793
Mein Auto: 2005 545i
Quote:
Originally Posted by fdriller9 View Post
lol your original point was that the amp controls the chimes. That is not the case and that is what I was arguing the entire time

So YOU have proved my point...
In essence it does will the chimes work with unplugging the amp ? No they won't . I clarified what I meant as far as the amp processing the signal ,, no L7 amp no chimes bottom line .. It's needed for the chimes to work . That's my point ..
__________________

Last edited by H F; 07-01-2015 at 04:02 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 07-01-2015, 10:07 PM
RachelAnn RachelAnn is offline
RachelAnn1love
Location: Memphis,TN
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 3
Mein Auto: 530xi
What was the answer to this? Re-code the HU, replace the amp, or add an amp and Re-code? Ive had to pull a fuse from the glovebox every time I start my car for almost a year now just to hear any sound at all. Any help or link to the post would be much appreciated!
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 07-01-2015, 11:43 PM
H F H F is online now
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Claremont California
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 2,793
Mein Auto: 2005 545i
Why are u having to pull a fuse ? And which fuse are you taking out .
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 07-02-2015, 12:44 PM
H F H F is online now
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Claremont California
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 2,793
Mein Auto: 2005 545i
Quote:
Originally Posted by eliastfk View Post
I know it might might take a bit, but my logic 7 unit is dead and I figure it would be cheaper if I could have it replaced by an aftermarket unit. Any input is appreciated, thanks. Car is an 05 545i.

If your interested there is a place called Factory Radio Service & repair ( 909)944-8844 . In SO Cal , that fixes L7 amps .. Heard good review over from the 7 series side ..
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 07-05-2015, 12:03 PM
RachelAnn RachelAnn is offline
RachelAnn1love
Location: Memphis,TN
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 3
Mein Auto: 530xi
I figured out that by pulling fuse #18 in the glove box, it resets the iDrive and allows me to have sound. Without pulling it, I have no sound from the speakers or the chimes. I live in Memphis, TN, so Cali is a little far to go to repair an amp. I really wish I could just repair it myself or have it covered by a BMW factory recall.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 07-05-2015, 12:09 PM
H F H F is online now
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Claremont California
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 2,793
Mein Auto: 2005 545i
Quote:
Originally Posted by RachelAnn View Post
I figured out that by pulling fuse #18 in the glove box, it resets the iDrive and allows me to have sound. Without pulling it, I have no sound from the speakers or the chimes. I live in Memphis, TN, so Cali is a little far to go to repair an amp. I really wish I could just repair it myself or have it covered by a BMW factory recall.
You can mail the equipment to them ... Give them a call and talk to them , maybe they can help .. Having to pull the fuse every time would drive me nuts ...
__________________
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E60 / E61 (2004 - 2010)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:22 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2015 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms