Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E60 (2004 - 2010)

E60 (2004 - 2010)
BMW 5-Series (E60 chassis) was first seen in the Unites States in the fall of 2003 with a 2004 Model Year designation. The E60 is now available as a 528i, 528xi, 535i, 535xi, 550i and a 535xi sports wagon! -- View the E60 Wiki

Old 05-06-2014, 06:44 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 550i sport
I think my new thermostat was defective

Purchased a new thermostat for my 08 e60 550i and installed it myself sunday afternoon. Today my car over heats cracking the expansion tank. DAMN!!!! I know i installed that damn thing correctly!!! It wasn't a hard install. Has anyone else installed a faulty thermostat before? is that common? Not sure what to do!! NEED ADVICE!!! is there a chance i damaged something else?
Ads by Google
Old 05-06-2014, 08:02 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2005 545i
Is it a oem thermostat ? I hear aftermarket thermostats are not very good . I really dont think that it cracked the expansion tank.. It probably was ready to go out and maybe thats why it overheated. A cracked expansion tank is a common thing with our cars.

I had a bad expansion tank cap. The coolant was like a boiling tea pot several times before I figured it out . The tank didn't crack..
Old 05-07-2014, 03:52 AM

Yes, it was a wahler OEM part. I haven't thought about the expansion tank would be the cause of overheating. I feel like i would have seen steam before it overheated if that was the cause though right? My computer started saying drive moderately to cool engine, then like two minuets later it started sayin stop the vehicle and turn off to avoid damaging your engine...or something to that extent. But the weird thing is my computer says all systems are OK although the service engine light is on?
Old 05-07-2014, 04:47 AM

Do you guy know if I should have bleed the coolant system?
Old 05-07-2014, 06:21 AM

Mein Auto: 09 528i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marine550i View Post
Do you guy know if I should have bleed the coolant system?
Of course you should have bled the cooling system. Why did you replace the thermostat in the first place?
Old 05-07-2014, 06:42 AM

Mein Auto: 2008 550i Manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1tech View Post
Of course you should have bled the cooling system. Why did you replace the thermostat in the first place?
You don't have to bleed the V8 motors, just fill and check level and fill until at correct level.

2008 BMW 550i Carbon Schwartz Metallic, 6 Speed Manual, Sport Package, Cold Weather Package, Logic 7, Comfort Access, Active Steering, Sat and HD Radio, Navigation, Comfort Seats and custom coding. Mods - 20 Watt AE, LED License plate lights and HID Fogs, StopTech drilled rotors.
Old 05-07-2014, 07:01 AM

Mein Auto: 545i
Self bleeding system.These overflow tanks become fragile eventually.You could have cracked it just doing the work.Yes a big enough crack would reduce system pressure and cause an overheat.After a refill I always bring up the hidden OBC menu for engine temp and watch for the next couple of days.
Old 05-07-2014, 09:05 AM

Installing a new expansion tank is easy , I suggest a new cap to go with it . If your coolant is older than 2 years might as well drain it . If u only drain the radiator , you'll only get if your lucky 2 gallons. You have to drain the block to get the rest of the coolant out. I can say that the block drain plug is a real pain to get back on .

As dolfan and KLR stated no need to bleed the system there is no bleeding nipple on the water pump, so can't do it even if you wanted to.. Thats only for electric water pumps , just filler up and go.
Old 05-07-2014, 09:41 AM

Mein Auto: BMW
It's actually called burping the system rather than bleeding. If there's a pocket of air somewhere, it will overheat the car.
Old 05-07-2014, 10:58 AM

Reckon bleeding is not the correct word I guess . It is like burpng though.. But still not neccessary on a n62 v8 .. It's a self purging system ,, I guess is the right terminology
Old 05-07-2014, 11:52 AM

Mein Auto: 545i
The top small hose to the expansion tank bleeds the system.One end is at the top of the rad and the other at the top of the tank.

By the way to me bleed is fine.Never use burp or any other certified mech I know.
Old 05-07-2014, 04:34 PM

These are not self bleeding/burping or whatever you want to call them systems. When you fill the cooling system and start the cart you are supposed to turn the heater on high and run the car with the cap off. This allows the coolant to circulate through all the lines and then the air finds it's way to the coolant reservoir. if you don't do this you will almost certainly end up with an air lock in the system somewhere which can and will lead to overheating problems.
Old 05-07-2014, 06:42 PM

Quote:
These are not self bleeding/burping or whatever you want to call them systems. When you fill the cooling system and start the cart you are supposed to turn the heater on high and run the car with the cap off. This allows the coolant to circulate through all the lines and then the air finds it's way to the coolant reservoir. if you don't do this you will almost certainly end up with an air lock in the system somewhere which can and will lead to overheating problems.
I can respect your knowlage and 25 years of experience. But you are incorrect Sir.

A n62 is indeed a self air bleeding self purging system. I copied and pasted a sentence below from page 43 for a N62 engine PDF file ... I have attached as well ,, for anyone who is interested ..

Coolant Expansion Tank

[Note: The expansion tank should never be filled above the Max marking. Excess coolant is
expelled by the pressure relief valve in the cap as it heats up. Avoid overfilling the expansion
tank because the cooling circuit design ensures very good "self bleeding.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 01_N62 Engine.pdf (954.3 KB, 14 views)

Last edited by H F; 05-07-2014 at 06:52 PM.
Old 05-07-2014, 07:04 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 550I (N62TU) V8
A common problem is that guys don't make the filler the high side of the system and have issues. Jack it up if you have to - the expansion tank needs to be higher then the engine and all hoses. Then squeeze the upper hose to "burp" the air bubbles past a closed t-stat.

I've even drilled small bleeder holes in new t-stats that come without to allow the trapped air to escape.

Last edited by A B Able Truck; 05-07-2014 at 07:11 PM. Reason: info
Old 05-07-2014, 07:09 PM

Based on your post above all it is able to expel is excess coolant. All cars can expel excess coolant from the expansion cars. However, if an air pocket is lodged in the engine, the system is not able to burp this system as the system is a closed system. It only opens up and expels the excess coolant.
Old 05-07-2014, 07:14 PM

The self bleeding of the expansion tank is different than burping the rest of the cooling system. The self bleeding of the expansion tank will only function properly if the rest of the cooling system is properly "burped" of any excess air in the system.

When you install a new thermostat the system is for the most part empty. When you fill the cooling system you end up with air trapped in front of and also behind the thermostat and also before and after the valves that allow coolant to the heating system. If you were to just fill the system to the proper level, put the expansion tank cap on and drive as normal the excess air that is trapped in the system has no place to go because the cooling system is sealed off from atmosphere. Only if the pressure in the cooling system becomes to high does the expansion tank cap vent to atmosphere. If this were to happen and excess air was expelled then there is no coolant to take it's place so the system becomes low on coolant and obviously overheating can occur.

Now if you fill the cooling system and turn on the heater the valves for the coolant to the heating system open up all the way and allow the coolant to flow without any restriction through the heating system which burps the air that is trapped there. As the engine runs and comes up to operating temperature the thermostat opens and allows coolant to flow without restriction to the radiator and thus purging any excess air. now for this to be accomplished the expansion tank cap has to be off so the excess air can escape to atmosphere. Once this all has happened then you can adjust the coolant to the proper level and then the expansion tank will be "self bleeding".
Old 05-07-2014, 07:59 PM

According to page 39 it says' ' self bleeding " thru ports in the cylinder heads which is clearly in the coolant circuit on the engine side of the closed thermostat ... Again I copied and posted the note

Note: The ventilation ports in the front of the cylinder heads provide quicker "self bleeding"
during a routine coolant exchange.
Old 05-07-2014, 08:13 PM

Let me make sure I am understanding you correctly.

Are you saying that after any repair on the cooling system all you have to do is fill the system to the appropriate level in the expansion tank, put the cap back on and then go about your business without worry?
Old 05-07-2014, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Let me make sure I am understanding you correctly.
Are you saying that after any repair on the cooling system all you have to do is fill the system to the appropriate level in the expansion tank, put the cap back on and then go about your business without worry?
i don't think anyone would agree with that statement and warranty it.
Old 05-07-2014, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIHI View Post
Based on your post above all it is able to expel is excess coolant. All cars can expel excess coolant from the expansion cars. However, if an air pocket is lodged in the engine, the system is not able to burp this system as the system is a closed system. It only opens up and expels the excess coolant.
I would have to disagree,, when it pertains to the N62 engine . Which is a different cooling circuit design then the six cylinder engines with a bleeder port to bleed the air...

The 1st note clearly defines , because '' the cooling circuit design '' ensures very good "self bleeding''. ( not the expansion tank dumping out coolant )

The 2nd note clearly defines, The ventilation ports in the front of the cylinder heads provide quicker "self bleeding" during a routine coolant exchange ..

This is enough evidence that demonstrates that the N62 engine Is a self bleeding circuit design....

Last edited by H F; 05-08-2014 at 12:46 AM.
Old 05-07-2014, 09:38 PM

Quote:
These are not self bleeding/burping or whatever you want to call them systems.
Lets stick to the topic here.. Before we move the discussion to filling procedures.

Since you couldn't take our word from three members that own N62 V8s ...I have demonstrated compelling evidence ,, and provided precise documentation and information,, that in fact,, the N62 engine has a self bleeding cooling circuit system ... Which is contrary to your beliefs and statement . With all due respect ,, is incorrect ,, Sir..

Last edited by H F; 05-07-2014 at 11:19 PM.
Old 05-07-2014, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by klr4life View Post
you don't have to bleed the v8 motors, just fill and check level and fill until at correct level.
+1000 ,,,

Last edited by H F; 05-07-2014 at 11:34 PM.
Old 05-08-2014, 05:59 AM

These systems are so "self bleeding" that BMW thought it was necessary to issue a service bulletin in regards to it.

SI B 17 01 10
Cooling System
March 2010
Technical Service
SUBJECT
Proper Evacuation and/or Filling of Cooling System after Repairs
MODEL
All

SITUATION

It can no longer be assured that all air is bled from a modern cooling system after it has been opened for repairs. This can result in poor performance of the cooling system and also erratic operation of systems utilizing cooling system temperature values. A special tool has been developed that ensures complete evacuation of all air in the system prior to filling, and also validates if the system is free of leaks prior to filling with coolant.

PROCEDURE

The Coolant Vacuum Charger tool P/N 81 39 2 152 470 (SI B04 34 08) must be used after completing major cooling systems repairs, or when the cooling system is drained and needs to be refilled with fresh coolant. Repair instructions for operating the vacuum charge unit are in the attachment below.

WARRANTY INFORMATION

For information only

ATTACHMENTS
Old 05-08-2014, 06:36 AM

Quote:
These systems are so "self bleeding" that BMW thought it was necessary to issue a service bulletin in regards to it.
SI B 17 01 10
Cooling System
March 2010
Technical Service
SUBJECT
Proper Evacuation and/or Filling of Cooling System after Repairs
MODEL
All

SITUATION
It can no longer be assured that all air is bled from a modern cooling system after it has been opened for repairs. This can result in poor performance of the cooling system and also erratic operation of systems utilizing cooling system temperature values. A special tool has been developed that ensures complete evacuation of all air in the system prior to filling, and also validates if the system is free of leaks prior to filling with coolant.
PROCEDURE
The Coolant Vacuum Charger tool P/N 81 39 2 152 470 (SI B04 34 08) must be used after completing major cooling systems repairs, or when the cooling system is drained and needs to be refilled with fresh coolant. Repair instructions for operating the vacuum charge unit are in the attachment below.
WARRANTY INFORMATION
For information only
ATTACHMENTS
Bam - Put an end to that
Old 05-08-2014, 07:02 AM

^ There you go.