Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Old 10-16-2009, 05:03 PM

Mein Auto: 05' X3 3.0I/05' Honda S2k
Rear passenger footwell soaking wet?

Dam it rained like hell early this week in SF bayarea. Just found out my rear passenger footwell is soaking wet for unknown reason. i vaguely remember someone posted here with the same issue before but no practical cause/solution found. Can someone chime in with a possible reason and DYI instructions on fixing this?

Car is out of warranty so I prefer to fix this issue without taking to dealer. Thanks in advance.

SY
Ads by Google
Old 10-16-2009, 06:02 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2004 X3 2.5i
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyyan View Post
Can someone chime in with a possible reason
Car parked outside, upwards on a SF hill, during the rainstorm?
Sunroof drains cleaned since last winter?

Window regulator or speaker replaced on right rear within the last year?
Vapor barrier replaced properly?
Old 10-16-2009, 06:19 PM

Mein Auto: BMW X3 2009 AT
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyyan View Post
Dam it rained like hell early this week in SF bayarea. Just found out my rear passenger footwell is soaking wet for unknown reason. i vaguely remember someone posted here with the same issue before but no practical cause/solution found. Can someone chime in with a possible reason and DYI instructions on fixing this?

Car is out of warranty so I prefer to fix this issue without taking to dealer. Thanks in advance.

SY
Seems to happen to lots of cars (not just BMWs) with pano roofs if that is indeed the problem. Seems like soaking wet means lots of water coming in from above?

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...d.php?t=641399

Last edited by PPXYZ; 10-16-2009 at 06:30 PM.
Old 10-16-2009, 09:43 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 X3
panarama roof! I had the same problem last month. fortunately, My X3 is still under warranty. The dealer took care of it and gave me a brand new 328i during the weekend.
Old 10-17-2009, 04:46 AM

Mein Auto: 5
I've brought my 05 in three times during the last three months (I first noticed this two weeks left on the orig warranty)

The dealer said first it was clogged sunroof drains, then the 2nd, 3rd times vapor barrier problems. The roof is always dry, and there was window regulator repair done to one of the rear windows (first owner). Waiting for the next heavy rain then I'll call BMWNA.

I'm not sure if it is just dealer incompetence (big dealer in Boston), or BMWNA is giving me the run-around and not authorizing the dealer to truly fix the problem because of the high cost to repair (the revised sunroof cassette part is $3k alone). Maybe they're hoping I'll trade the car in to another dealer.

My first service receipt actually listed the sunroof cassette part as special order. It was never actually replaced - the SA hinted something about BMWNA not authorizing the replacement.

Anybody know if I have any legal recourse for BMW refusing to authorize a repair while the car is still under warranty?

XSOGO what did they do to your pano roof to repair the problem and what year is your vehicle?
Old 10-17-2009, 04:53 AM
Banned

Mein Auto:
Have a look (a long one) here:

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=259095

Good luck.
Old 10-17-2009, 10:21 AM

Mein Auto: 2006 X3
Quote:
Originally Posted by codog2 View Post
I've brought my 05 in three times during the last three months (I first noticed this two weeks left on the orig warranty)

The dealer said first it was clogged sunroof drains, then the 2nd, 3rd times vapor barrier problems. The roof is always dry, and there was window regulator repair done to one of the rear windows (first owner). Waiting for the next heavy rain then I'll call BMWNA.

I'm not sure if it is just dealer incompetence (big dealer in Boston), or BMWNA is giving me the run-around and not authorizing the dealer to truly fix the problem because of the high cost to repair (the revised sunroof cassette part is $3k alone). Maybe they're hoping I'll trade the car in to another dealer.

My first service receipt actually listed the sunroof cassette part as special order. It was never actually replaced - the SA hinted something about BMWNA not authorizing the replacement.

Anybody know if I have any legal recourse for BMW refusing to authorize a repair while the car is still under warranty?

XSOGO what did they do to your pano roof to repair the problem and what year is your vehicle?
First, they told me that they might have to clean the clogged sunroof drains. But in the receipt ,they just replaced the sunroof frame seal with updated part. Too much rain in texas recently helped me test it. It has been fixed.
Old 10-18-2009, 02:19 PM
Long LIVE ZFHP22!

Mein Auto: 2006 330i 6MT Sport
Ok I have delt with that before!! It took my dealer over 7 Repair attempts to fix it, had the car been out of warranty, I would have done it myself. If it is JUST in the floorboard I am 99% POSITIVE it is the vapor barrier. The design of your door allows water to drain through the door and out a weep hole in the bottom. The vapor barrier keeps the moisture out of your car during this process. If there is ANY hole at all in the barrier, no matter how small you will get pools of water in your foot well. After a hard rain look in your door seal, and see if you see a small stream of water. It is hard to see however so look close.

Even though they said they fixed it, I doubt they did. What they do is try to re-seal it. This is lunacy. The only way to truly fix it is to replace the vapor barrier inside the door. You can use the OEM barrier, OR have an aftermarket trim shop acustomed to working on BMW's do it for you. The aftermarket route should only cost around 150 for both rear doors as they do not use the OEM barrier but an aftermarket vapor shield which does the same thing at a fraction of the cost. I have done this myself on an e46 (same design) but alas I do not have pictures to show. There should be a DIY write up somewhere on this board or the net as it is a VERY common problem with these cars. I even heard of a guy who made his own barrier out of materials found at home depot! This is not a difficult procedure, with the proper research etc, you should be able to pull it off.

Good luck to you! Dont trust the dealer on this one, this is something many of them routinely muck up because they generally do not have the barrier in stock and they just want to throw some sealer on there and get you out the door.

Cursed plastic impailor waterpumps, plastic bleeder screws, m20 timing belts, anti rattle clips, window regulators, CDV valves, digital odometer displays, evaporative emissions circuit, aux cooling fan, sunroof drains, heator cores, door seals, control modules, M62 cam covers and of course GM autos.... (more to come)
Old 10-18-2009, 03:41 PM

Mein Auto: 5
bmwadam,

Should I see this stream with the door closed? I've tried going in the front door and climbing in the back when its raining. Is a vapor barrier leak visible this way?

It rained pretty hard today - I've got to go check and see how it held up this time
Old 10-18-2009, 03:55 PM
Ukemi - that's how I roll

Mein Auto: 2013 Audi S4 2010 MT MCS
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwadam View Post
Ok I have delt with that before!! It took my dealer over 7 Repair attempts to fix it, had the car been out of warranty, I would have done it myself. If it is JUST in the floorboard I am 99% POSITIVE it is the vapor barrier. The design of your door allows water to drain through the door and out a weep hole in the bottom. The vapor barrier keeps the moisture out of your car during this process. If there is ANY hole at all in the barrier, no matter how small you will get pools of water in your foot well. After a hard rain look in your door seal, and see if you see a small stream of water. It is hard to see however so look close.

Even though they said they fixed it, I doubt they did. What they do is try to re-seal it. This is lunacy. The only way to truly fix it is to replace the vapor barrier inside the door. You can use the OEM barrier, OR have an aftermarket trim shop acustomed to working on BMW's do it for you. The aftermarket route should only cost around 150 for both rear doors as they do not use the OEM barrier but an aftermarket vapor shield which does the same thing at a fraction of the cost. I have done this myself on an e46 (same design) but alas I do not have pictures to show. There should be a DIY write up somewhere on this board or the net as it is a VERY common problem with these cars. I even heard of a guy who made his own barrier out of materials found at home depot! This is not a difficult procedure, with the proper research etc, you should be able to pull it off.

Good luck to you! Dont trust the dealer on this one, this is something many of them routinely muck up because they generally do not have the barrier in stock and they just want to throw some sealer on there and get you out the door.
That is absoultely insane to try to reuse the vapor barrier considering they cost all of $17 and change. They spent more in man hours scractching their behinds.
2005 GC
2000 Jeep Cherokee
1997 Twin Turbo RX-7
1984 GTI Wolfsburg Edition Neuspeed and more