Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)

7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)
Discussion pertaining to the flagship BMW here.

Old 11-23-2009, 10:33 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: E70 X5, F10 535i
Sitting at the dealership. They've replaced the bulbs and sockets again... Still does it. They are changing the headlight now. If that doesn't work they are going to order a new light control module, possibly a new turn signal stalk. They also mentioned a new steering angle sensor as a possibilty as well. I'm assuming this would be somehow linked to the increase in frequency of the issue with the wheel turned to or past the auto off point.
Old 11-23-2009, 05:00 PM

Well, so far so good. The headlight may have been the issue.

Now I've noticed there is no sound coming from the LF door speakers. Son of a...
Old 11-29-2009, 06:38 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 Chevy Corvette z06
headlight was my issue as well !!!! so far so good as well ...
Old 11-30-2009, 06:52 AM

Good deal.

I drove the car about 600 miles this week and no more turn signal malfunction even with putting the invisibulbs back in. The headlight housing definitely seems to be the culprit.

I also got them to good will the ASK unit for the speaker issue. Although if the SA didn't mess up and do the work with out telling me it wouldn't be CPO'd I don't know if they would have. It's kind of scary that it would have been about $3K just in parts for relatively insignificant issues/ annoyances. They kind of have you trapped with the unique design of these cars. It's not like you could just chuck an Alpine head unit in there like most cars and be on your way. Yay german engineering!
Old 11-19-2011, 11:04 AM

Mein Auto: 2006 750i
So after all this, it was the left front headlight housing? Has this problem happened since?
Old 11-19-2011, 12:42 PM

Mein Auto: Chrysler 300
I have that same issue. The dealer told me it was a short in the actual socket. Told me it would be $120 or so to fix so I just left it alone.
Old 11-19-2011, 12:56 PM

Well according to some here, they have replaced the bulb and sockets with no success. I wonder if the dealer replaces the part with no success, will they still charge you? I've narrowed it down to the exact bulb that goes out at times and to get at it, it looks like you have to take other things apart just to get at it. I haven't tackled it yet but so far, it looks like I'll have to get the air cleaner out of the way. If I have to take more than that off, I may as well change/upgrade the angel eyes too but just changing the angel eyes doesn't mean the headlight housing though does it?
Old 11-19-2011, 02:05 PM

Mein Auto: 745i
I've replaced everything including the headlight assembly. Still no fix! Sh!t it very aggravating.
Old 11-19-2011, 03:28 PM

So, I've managed to take the air cleaner box out and was able to pop out both amber lights on the drivers side. I put the right in the left and left in the right and I still get the error message. So it's not the bulb or the socket. It's the housing that holds the socket. As far as I can tell, nothing looks out of the norm in there.
At one point, after reinstalling the bulb and socket back into the housing, I put some pressure downwards on the back of the socket and it turned on the bulb and it started to flash fast then slow like it should. As soon as I let off on the pressure, the bulb went out again and the bulb next to it started blinking fast again. Is there a post that shows how to get that headlight housing out?

Last edited by red1KRR; 11-19-2011 at 03:33 PM.
Old 11-19-2011, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by collins912 View Post
I've replaced everything including the headlight assembly. Still no fix! Sh!t it very aggravating.
Where did you get the housing from? Dealer or privately?
Old 11-19-2011, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by red1KRR View Post
Where did you get the housing from? Dealer or privately?
Dealer
Old 11-25-2011, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Do you have the same problem that I'm having with the front left signal light?
One of the two front left bulbs stop working causing all remaining front, back and side marker left signal bulbs to flash quickly. This is happening more frequently now so in the parking lot at work, with the hood up, I turned on the left signal and sure enough it started normally then all of the sudden it started blinking fast with the front bulb in the farthest position out(not working). I slapped the flat bar that's just above the bulb in question and it went on and started blinking at a normal pace. That tells me that there is something loose down there. Can you try this with yours and let me know if it starts to work? Will have to dismantle by the looks of it to find the loose connection.
Old 11-26-2011, 08:59 AM

The crazy thing with mine is I hooked it up to the right side and it works fine. Haven't tried pressing down on it or anything yet. I will go out and try it to see and let u know. I'm trying to find out if there is anything else
between the light module and the lights like some type of relay or something. Just doesn't seem right you know.
Old 05-06-2012, 02:58 PM

anyone have any updates on this matter?
I've recently taken both headlight housings out, plugged in the working housing to the non working side and it did the same thing. So that rules out the housing. Had a friend check the voltage on the slide plug and it seems that one of them is putting out lower than normal voltage. Is there a fuse panel in the engine compartment? All I can find is the one in the trunk and the glove box. Where does this lower voltage wire go to? Light module? Is there anything servicable in the light module? or do you just have to replace it?
Old 05-06-2012, 04:51 PM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Mein Auto: POS Honda
I have the same problem on my right side. I have taken the bumper off and removed both lights, flipped the lights and git the same results.

I started looking at all of the lights and noticed 2 other problems.

1. The rear center brake light does not work, but no report.

2. My high beams, passing lights so not stay on, theses are the center lights, not the high beams.

I have come to the conclusion to replace the LCM. I have read other accounts of this being the problem.

Only time will tell......I also think the LCM has to be coded to the car.

Sent from my PC36100 using Bimmer App

Old 05-06-2012, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirstopher View Post
I have the same problem on my right side. I have taken the bumper off and removed both lights, flipped the lights and git the same results.

I started looking at all of the lights and noticed 2 other problems.

1. The rear center brake light does not work, but no report.

2. My high beams, passing lights so not stay on, theses are the center lights, not the high beams.

I have come to the conclusion to replace the LCM. I have read other accounts of this being the problem.

Only time will tell......I also think the LCM has to be coded to the car.

Sent from my PC36100 using Bimmer App

No Sir! LCM does not have to be coded to car. I replaced mine and no issues. everything works just fine.
Old 05-27-2012, 11:31 PM

Quote:
No Sir! LCM does not have to be coded to car. I replaced mine and no issues. everything works just fine.
Good to hear you've solved the issue. What did the LCM cost you? Dealer or used? I had a friend check out one of the plugs that plug into the headlight housing and found that the output voltage to the bulb in question is quite a bit lower than the working ones. Guess it's the LCM also. Where abouts in the drivers footwell is this located and how do you get to it? I was quoted $460 CAD for the LCM from the Dealer Tried to search ebay for the same part # with no luck. Dealer part # 61-35-9-283-082 Light Module.
Old 07-08-2012, 01:11 AM

One of my front left signal lights don't work. I've switched bulbs, headlights housing from left to right, sockets from left to right. Traced it to low voltage output to that particular socket. Assumed the wires in question went to the light control module"LCM". Ordered a used one online from a reputable dealer and still the same malfunction. Not sure where to go from here. One of the two front drivers side signal light still work but when I signal left, all working left turn lights blink faster than normal.
Old 07-08-2012, 06:57 AM

Mein Auto: 2008 Chevy Corvette z06
Quote:
One of my front left signal lights don't work. I've switched bulbs, headlights housing from left to right, sockets from left to right. Traced it to low voltage output to that particular socket. Assumed the wires in question went to the light control module"LCM". Ordered a used one online from a reputable dealer and still the same malfunction. Not sure where to go from here. One of the two front drivers side signal light still work but when I signal left, all working left turn lights blink faster than normal.
while i dumped my 750 a few years ago... the steering angle switch sensor ( think thats what it called) was the ultimate culprit and eventually caused almost my entire car to fail / computer to crash
Old 07-08-2012, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Maybe the one you brought might have been faulty as well...I actually tested one out of my cousins 7 before I purchased one. That really sucks bro. I know how aggravating that can be.
Old 02-15-2014, 03:58 PM

Mein Auto: 750i
a

Last edited by fab72; 02-16-2014 at 10:18 AM.
Old 02-15-2014, 04:04 PM

a

Last edited by fab72; 02-16-2014 at 10:19 AM.
Old 02-15-2014, 04:10 PM

Hereís how I fixed mine (a 2006 750i). There is a blue wire to the turn signal that was rubbing against the frame of the Xenon bulb. One will find this inside the access panel for the xenon bulb (a big rectangular one). I attached a picture. I found the wire going to one of the bulbs rubbing against the metal frame for the xenon with a visible spot where it had rubbed through the insulation. I suppose on could try to add a new layer of insulation to the wire, but with the size of the access hole, and no apparent way to disconnect and reconnect the wire, that seemed to be a real challenge. Instead, I just repositioned the wire. There is a plastic clip near this location that holds that wire in place, and to remedy the situation, I simply pulled on the backside of the wire to remove the slack. Hereís a picture of the wire and what one would be looking for. For this repair, I removed the bumper so I could remove the headlight assembly (I have a model where this is required to remove the headlights). It might be possible to do this without removing the headlights, but Iím certain it would be tough. If someone is interested in giving that a try, I would recommend removing the air box and the cover to the bulb. The wire is going to be located at the top of the interior of the assembly. You might be able to see and correct the issue with a mirror, a flashlight, needle nose pliers and a whole lot of luck. That being said, Iím certain the best one could do would to be to reposition the wire as I had done. Adding any insulation to it would be an exercise in frustration. Iíve included a picture of the screw locations to remove the bumper. It can go quickly. . . probably only takes about 15 minutes with the right tools (torx drivers and a socket set) and from there, only four nuts to remove the headlight. I did have to reposition the headlamp washers to get the headlights out though. All told, one can likely disassemble, reposition the wire, reassemble in about 2 hours or less if one really knows what they are doing.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Rubbing wire.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	87.9 KB
ID:	422988   Click image for larger version

Name:	Front Screws.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	108.4 KB
ID:	422989   Click image for larger version

Name:	Side Screws.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	91.1 KB
ID:	422990  
Old 02-15-2014, 09:05 PM

Fab72, had the exact same issue in mine. Fixed it this afternoon. Same blue wire hitting the bulb bracket. A lot of the wiring inside my headlight assembly is in bad shape.