Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 01-22-2015, 08:20 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '02 530i Toledo blue
update on my tranmission

About 2 months ago, I had a big bang accompanied by trans failsafe. I didn't have a code right away, but I started monitoring the car more carefully. Code 48 and 49 would show on INPA. Excessive TC slip and symptom gear check. My tranny never slipped, as far as I can tell from previous experience of slipping in different cars.

Symptoms were random slamming at low speed. I can replicate this just by driving slow and holding the rev at around 1500. I hold it there, and the transmission doesn't know what to do, and bang! she goes. So, I avoid holding the throttle at low speed, and try to keep the rev higher than 1500.

When driven in manual mode, I would get a slam in 4th gear pretty consistently. It never really felt like a slip, but weird.

I felt that my idle was a bit high at around 750 rpm, so I started looking around for small vacuum leaks I might have missed. Engine doesn't misfire, and runs pretty smooth. Tracked down some leaks, and I ended up replacing the oil filter housing gasket, vanos oil line and dipstick O rings. Erased all the adaption values in the engine and tranny module.

I was pleasantly surprised that my car shifts much smoother, and the banging went away for good. I've been driving for 2 months without the problem coming back. Code 48 and 49 never returned. No more low speed and 4th gear bang.

I don't expect cheap fixes for big problems, but I decided to check the maf and clean it for the hell of it.It was quite dirty inside, covered with dust. Cleaned it, popped it back on.

I guess it's fixed for now. I was putting money aside for a new tranny, but I guess I dodged the bullet this time.
Advertisement
Old 01-22-2015, 08:36 AM

Mein Auto: 525i station wagon
Good news..might advise though,,to check the out put of your alternator..alts can make weird things happen to these trannies as well Good Luck
Old 01-22-2015, 09:03 AM

Thanks for the suggestion. Will check the alternator.
Forgot to mention I replaced the vacuum caps in the back of the intake manifold. 7mm cap was very loose. I think I still have more vacuum leak somewhere.

Last edited by HolyToledo; 01-22-2015 at 09:04 AM.
Old 01-22-2015, 12:15 PM

Need to replace those hoses back there as well,,they may look fine,,but dry rot and will let air by them anyway...the plastic hose that goes over to the secondary air injector valve..should inspect it also. Cheers
Old 01-22-2015, 01:00 PM

I replaced all the hoses and intake boots last summer. My idle is still slightly high, but at least my transmission is behaving better.
Old 01-24-2015, 10:05 AM

Spoke too soon... P0741 code popped up as I pulled into the driveway from a 200mile trip. Replaced the TC this past summer, and it's back.. I was cruising at 80mph and the TC seemed to lock up fine.
Old 01-24-2015, 01:10 PM

Mein Auto: 2003 530i
Quote:
Originally Posted by HolyToledo View Post
Spoke too soon... P0741 code popped up as I pulled into the driveway from a 200mile trip. Replaced the TC this past summer, and it's back.. I was cruising at 80mph and the TC seemed to lock up fine.
where did you get the TC ? Any warranty ?
Old 02-16-2015, 05:20 PM

Another update.

Cleared the codes and the check engine light didn't come back on until I went on the same trip as last time. Check engine came on while cruising on highway. It showed p0171, p0174. All too familiar with these lean codes by now. I could have confused p0174 with p0741 last time. No transmission codes pulled via INPA. I have a new ccv to drop in, but the weather has been too cold to work on the car. It's been almost 3k miles since last oil change, and I added 1 1/2 quarts so far. I can live with it for now. I know I still have a vacuum leak, as it's still burning oil, and my idle is slightly higher than it should be. Transmission behavior seems to correspond with how the engine is running. As I patch up newly found leaks, transmission behavior improves. No banging issues for a couple of months now, and I'm quite happy with how the car is driving. It's been handling the winter freeze well so far. I'm just waiting for the weather to get better, so I can replace the thermostat and ccv system.
Old 02-16-2015, 05:47 PM
Under the lift arms

Mein Auto: E39 540, E36 328is, E83x3
sounds like you got a good handle on..

Keep fighting !

"Burning 2nd is a lot like vitamin tonic. Overly harsh, tastes like crap, but somewhere in all that there's good intent......just have to learn to read between the lines, actually you have to squint really hard to see the good, but its there somewhere"

15486372<-----
Old 02-23-2015, 05:47 PM

Plugged in INPA to check codes today. No transmission codes returned. Still have to replace the ccv..
Old 02-24-2015, 01:47 PM

In most cases with the CCV system going out,,it's from 2 things,,the valve itself freezes up, or the lower hose that goes from the CCV to the dipstick has worn , and you have a hole in it. That is an easy hose to change however,,and if it is indeed that the hose is worn, you might get many more miles out of the CCV that you have. You can get to it pretty easy , and if you replace it , and still have a problem, still use that hose later when you replace the whole system.
Old 02-24-2015, 05:13 PM

Thanks for chiming in. I've done the ccv job on my previous 530. It wasn't so bad, except snaking one of the tubes through the intake manifold. I actually replaced the drain tube not too long ago, because it was all gunked and clogged up in the other car. To my surprise, the tube was clear, but I replaced it anyway. I'm just glad my tranny stopped acting up! Im hoping this car will reach 200k miles.