Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 10-22-2009, 08:16 PM
Not a real doctor.

Mein Auto: 2009 328i Coupe
Aw hell, xtreme. I'm only posting stuff like this in a lame attempt to impress BMW_GAL.

'09 328i Coupe: MT, Monaco Blue, Black Dakota, Dark Burl, ZPP, ZSP, ZCW, CA, Logic7, HD Radio, IPod
Ordered: 14Jan09; Delivered: 24Feb09 from Stratham, NH BMW
Old 10-22-2009, 08:36 PM
Omnes rationi moderatum

Mein Auto: Certified Garage Princess
Hey Prof. Cool!

This is a valuable write-up! Thanks for taking the time to do it. The way you described it, it actually looks easier (or less daunting) than DIY oil changes were on my old Honda. I might have to add this to the "Honey-do's" for BF when I've had the car 6 months. I really have a hard time wrapping my head around the BMW scheduled maintenance -- A yearly oil change seems like an inordinately long time to run on the same oil.

Euro Modded|Split Armrest|Rear Foglight Mod|BMW Performance Exhaust|CDV Delete|Shark Fin Antenna Delete|Front Reflector Delete|LUX H8 Angel Eyes|328i|3 Pedals|Das Fahren im Freien| BMWCCA#445793
Old 10-23-2009, 05:08 AM
Not a real doctor.

Yeah. It's good oil and there's plenty of it, so I believe it lasts longer than oil lasts in other cars, but 15k is a long, long time.

It is easier in our BMWs than in other cars because that xfxuxexlx oil filter sits up high and forward in the engine compartment where you access it from above.

Well, hell, I bet you (or your BF) could even do it in heels.

(How long will heel jokes keep following you 'round, Kat?)

'09 328i Coupe: MT, Monaco Blue, Black Dakota, Dark Burl, ZPP, ZSP, ZCW, CA, Logic7, HD Radio, IPod

Last edited by ProfessorCook; 10-24-2009 at 10:14 AM.
Old 10-23-2009, 05:32 AM
Ego writing cheques that

Mein Auto: Subaru Forester
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessorCook View Post

It seems a little bit longer than the sell by date now...
Also available in Alpine White...
Old 10-23-2009, 07:06 AM
Not a real doctor.

Good point. My apologies.

Old 10-23-2009, 12:21 PM
Omnes rationi moderatum

Mein Auto: Certified Garage Princess
Quote:

(there probably IS a reason people think my middle name is Imelda)

Euro Modded|Split Armrest|Rear Foglight Mod|BMW Performance Exhaust|CDV Delete|Shark Fin Antenna Delete|Front Reflector Delete|LUX H8 Angel Eyes|328i|3 Pedals|Das Fahren im Freien| BMWCCA#445793
Old 10-23-2009, 12:53 PM
Combat Commuter

Mein Auto: 2007 E93 335i
Quote:
Yeah. It's good oil and there's plenty of it, so I believe it lasts longer than oil lasts in other cars, but 15k is a long, long time.

It is easier in our BMWs than in other cars because that fuel filter sits up high and forward in the engine compartment where you access it from above.

Well, hell, I bet you (or your BF) could even do it in heels.

Quit staring at BMW Gal's avatar.
Old 10-23-2009, 01:30 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 Jet Black 328i
I'm used to doing oil changes on American cars, so for a BMW newb like me, this is extremely valuable.

So let me ask you...how do you reset the oil change maintenance indicator? Where can you get an oil filter cap wrench or can I use a strap wrench?

One last thing....my E92's headlights were WAAAYYY low when I bought the car, but I figured out how to adjust them in my garage. Anyone interested in a "how to" for headlight adjustment???
Old 10-23-2009, 01:43 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 87 alfa romeo, 09 328i MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwinter View Post
I have actually heard the contrary. If you think of it, at an automotive shop they will always have the car up horizontally, won't they?

Right, Winter, but that doesnt mean they have your best interest in mind. They have it level cuz they usually use lifts, not jack stands/ramps like us DIY ers. Also, they drain out and plug it up and fill withing about 5 minutes....not enough time for all the sludge to exit by gravity.

The previous poster made a good point of mentioning ramps, or, front jack stands only. Then, drain and walk away to rake your yard for about 15 minutes. THEN, you can plug up oil pan. Also, never drain cold.

Anyway, thanks Prof for your effort!!!!!! I will be doing this next year.
Old 10-23-2009, 05:05 PM
Where do we go from here?

Mein Auto: '08 E90 335i
That's a very nice DIY. I did mine with front wheels on low rising ramps. I think I put in about 6.75 quarts of oil. Hope that wasn't too much. It was really tight under the car.
Old 09-17-2010, 12:49 PM
California Über Alles

Mein Auto: 328CiC and 328iT
The OP doesn't state when he changed his oil. This observation about the oil used is based on the assumption it was around the date of his post, i.e., 10/18/2009. And mostly posted because sometimes on Friday I'm bored and have a short attention span.

The only version of a list of BMW recommended/approved synthetic oils (http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Conte...ngineOils.aspx) I have ever seen was published in January 2008.

The list specifies "BMW High Performance SAE 5W-30 Synthetic Oil* (BMW part number 07 51 0 017 866)". The last picture in the original post shows the back of the oil bottle, with the correct part number clearly visible. Not quite as clear, but still quite visible is the text "Meets API Service SL/CF".

Per the list, this oil part number meets the BMW LL-01 "long life" rating. But the list also states "Use only oils with an API rating of SM or higher." SL is lower than SM.

What does this all mean? I have no effen clue and I'm too uninterested to speculate on the implications. This observation is more a product of sheer boredom than any attempt to impart useful knowledge to B'festers.

Regardless of the lack of any readily apparent relevance of this information for any purpose, I didn't want to share it earlier as the stated raison d'etre of the exceedingly well drafted DIY was to impress another poster, of a presumably (this is the internet, after all) opposite gender.

Last edited by Wihelm G; 09-17-2010 at 12:51 PM.
Old 01-30-2012, 11:45 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 335i
Ramps instead of 4 jack stands

Will all of the oil drain using ramps instead of lifting at all four points?
Old 01-30-2012, 12:00 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 328Xi Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsoto View Post
Will all of the oil drain using ramps instead of lifting at all four points?
It seemed like it did for me...considering the oil drain was on the back half of the pan...

After draining, I was able to get just over 6.5qts back in the crank case and remain under the MAX line on the digital gauge. My guess is that all the old oil drained...
Old 01-30-2012, 12:29 PM
Non compos Mentos

Mein Auto: 335i E92 TiAg 6MT ED
Gotta admit, it's good to see Cookie's posts, even if they are years old.
Old 01-30-2012, 12:41 PM
Don't Judge Me!

Send a message via Yahoo to GiaGiaJa
Mein Auto: Sedan 328i iDrive AT
Oh Professor.. You are fantastic!

Ohhhhh.... The ultimate attraction
"Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves." Albert Einstein
Old 01-30-2012, 01:26 PM

Mein Auto: 335i Sport,Premium & Navi
Nice job. I always wanted to know what that was in the front of my engine. Its the filter! Great location and looks very easy to do.
Old 01-30-2012, 04:42 PM
Chairman of the Bored

Mein Auto: 2014 M5
Excellent write up. While I understand some people like to do stuff like this I would never do it. I have my oil changed every 7,500 mi by the dealer who is charging $79.95 plus tax. For me to put a car on jack stands and crawl under 2 tons and fool with wrenches then figure out what to do with the old oil an oil change would have to cost more, a lot more.
Also, the dealer may see something that needs fixing under warranty or fill up some fluids.

2014 M5
Old 01-30-2012, 04:47 PM
(formerly SD 335is)

Mein Auto: '06 Z4 MR | '11 335is E92
Quote:
Originally Posted by mclaren View Post
Excellent write up. While I understand some people like to do stuff like this I would never do it. I have my oil changed every 7,500 mi by the dealer who is charging $79.95 plus tax. For me to put a car on jack stands and crawl under 2 tons and fool with wrenches then figure out what to do with the old oil an oil change would have to cost more, a lot more.
Also, the dealer may see something that needs fixing under warranty or fill up some fluids.
If my dealer could do it for that price I wouldn't bother doing it myself either!
Hers: 2011 335is Coupe (E92) | Le Mans Blue Metallic | Black Dakota Leather | Dark Glacier Aluminum | 6MT | ED 5/12/11

BMWCCA #444696 - Click to join and a chance to win a 1-Day M School at the BMW Performance Center!

Old 01-30-2012, 05:38 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 335i Sedan
Nice thinking with the wood under the tires. When I read the first part before looking at the picture, I thought you were crazy for getting under the car on only jack stands.

I talk to an indy mechanic by my house a lot and he says when he changes oil after 9k miles, the oil is very dirty. My car only has 1k miles on it, but i'm going to do a break in oil change at 1200. Stopped by the dealer today to get the kit. The guy asked how many miles my car had and when I told him he gave me a look like I was insane. Makes me want to do it ever more.
Old 01-30-2012, 07:08 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 328Xi Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by mclaren View Post
I too would not do mine if I could get the dealer to do it for $79.95...that's a great price. Lowest I've seen OEM filter and oil is about $70.

I use wheel ramps...which probably aren't much different but they seem a bit more stable to me.

WRT the old oil...I just take it down the street to Auto Zone and they gladly accept all my old/bad fluids for free
Old 01-30-2012, 08:23 PM
Non compos Mentos

Mein Auto: 335i E92 TiAg 6MT ED
Quote:
Originally Posted by usernamehere View Post
I too would not do mine if I could get the dealer to do it for $79.95...that's a great price. Lowest I've seen OEM filter and oil is about $70.

I use wheel ramps...which probably aren't much different but they seem a bit more stable to me.

WRT the old oil...I just take it down the street to Auto Zone and they gladly accept all my old/bad fluids for free
By law anyone who sells oil retail MUST take an equivalent amount in return and not charge for the service.
Used oil is actually of value now. With fuel oil well over $3/gal, used oil sells for .50/gal.
Old 01-30-2012, 08:33 PM

Mein Auto: 335ic
diy is best. kragen has 0-40 mobil one on sale for 5$ a qt...so i can do a change for 45$....beat that...as far as ramps do the rhinos work but race ramps are the way to go.. the rhinos hit my lip the race ramps dont slide are wider and have a better approach angle...
Old 02-03-2012, 12:33 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 X5, 2012 MINI ALL4
Awesome post. Thanks for all your effort.
Old 02-03-2012, 04:53 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 335i Sedan
I took my car to an indy for my 1200 mile break in oil change. I bought the oil and filter from the dealer. My indy guy said, "did you get the synthetic filter." I told him this is what they gave me and he said that is fine but there is a better one from the dealer. Does this make sense to anyone?
Old 02-03-2012, 05:09 PM

Mein Auto: 335ic
Not to me... One type of filter...