Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E21 (1975 - 1983)

E21 (1975 - 1983)

Old 09-01-2009, 09:44 PM

Mein Auto: '83 320i
Exclamation I BEG OF YOU, HELP ME: Heater Core location and Removal/instalation

I just bought my 1983 320i, let me start by saying..holy **** I love this car. it's my first bimmer and I can't even express my love for it in words...or actions. anyone who worships these fine automobiles knows what i'm talking about..but i digress, where was i>? oh ya...Heater core

I'm no machanic...meaning I pay for **** to be done on my car(s), but in ownership of such a piece of art, I trust no one to work on my baby.

So my heater core needs replaced and i dont even know where to start. I have some people and tools at my disposal for help and such..i just need to know where to start...my repair manual isnt exactly detailed but i have a Haynes in the mail.

If anyone has some experience (which im sure 'YOU' do) please leave any bit of info or helping comments

we're all share a common love and goal. so, Please, help me. haha

and I'm lookin' around for a thread with this information but i figured posting a new one couldnt hurt.

Last edited by GCe21; 09-01-2009 at 09:45 PM. Reason: change title.
Ads by Google
Old 09-01-2009, 10:13 PM
Banned

Mein Auto:
Its behind and below the stereo in the center console. You have to remove pretty much all the center console to even see it.
Old 09-02-2009, 06:35 PM

is any under-the-hood work required?
Old 09-02-2009, 09:31 PM
Banned

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCe21 View Post
is any under-the-hood work required?
No.
Old 09-04-2009, 09:42 AM

thanks much, although today I saw that my ac knob was only turned to "MIN" and not to off, upon turning it off hot air blew. but after warming up and driving for about 5 miles then sittin at idle for around 7 minutes it started to get hot..not buried in red, but not a normal runnin temp. top hose looked fine, coolant levels were fine. so i guess all thats left is to change/test the thermostat, or replace a water pump!
Old 01-08-2010, 07:08 PM

Mein Auto: 1983 BMW 320i
I love when that happens. I named my car Matilda for the soul purpose she was like magic. The AC went out one summer here in Tucson.. and I didn't realize until after the summer, that it was a fuse that needed to be replaced.. AMAZING and inexpensive.
I replaced the water pump and thermostat two years ago by myself the hardest part about doing it yourself is making sure the gasket stays on straight.

Here's a link to the mechanics manual. Its way better than Haynes.
http://files.me.com/spirited_dream/81j4q2