Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Old 10-21-2009, 03:57 AM

Mein Auto: 2003 330i, 2007 X3
New Owner '07 X3

We just purchased a CPO '07 X3 for my wife recently after the lease was up on the Mazda CX7. Jet Black with black leatherette interior. Auto, Cold Weather Pkg, Xenon, and Privacy glass are the only major options. It seems the previous owner took really good care of this X3 as it looks brand spanking new inside and out.

We found this lease returned X3 at our local BMW dealership. It was "just" turned back in only a couple days and was not even detailed. I spent two hours on a Sunday afternoon carefully inspected the car at the dealership's parking lot. I'm pretty picky about my car, but i can't believe I only found total of 3 small rock chips on this X3! Carfax came back pretty clean. A total of 4 services were done. 3 oil changes at 6k, 12k, and last one at 17K before it was turned back in. Only warranty repair was it had an amplifier (I assume its related to radio) replaced at 2k.

We've spent about two months looking for the CX7 replacement. We've looked at and test drove a new Toyota Highlander, RAV4, Honda CRV, Pilot, Saturn Outlook, Subaru Forester, Outback, Ford Flex, Edge and even thinking another CX7. Finally both of us were ready to settle on a black Highlander Sport before we found this X3.

Wife really liked the look of X3. We've both test drove the '06 and '09 X3 briefly and I found '06 has a sportier ride (w/o SP), better engine/exhaust sound which is similar to our ’03 330i; however, this ’07 was in such perfect condition we did not bother to look further.

The X3 was perfect…or so we thought…

Unfortunately I made two mistakes when I bought this car.
1. I didn't find this website before buying
2. I didn't do an extensive test drive on this X3

This X3 has the dreaded transmission as described by many members here. I couldn’t believe it drove so differently than the ’06 and even the ’09’s. I went online, found this site, spent 2 nights reading all the treads. I was freaking out and seriously thought I’ve made a big mistake buying this X3.

The next day I immediately made an appointment with BMW service 2 days after I bought the X3 to have the engine/transmission reprogrammed. I took it in, waited 2 hours, and voila, it was done.

The X3 drove completely different like night and day. No more “pulling” and “sling shot launch” effect, the transmission shifted much much better. Not 100%, but 90%. Which is good enough for me. I could not believe the previous owner could drive 2 years 17k miles in the old condition .

After about 500 miles later, its still golden. I hope this means the reprogram is a success.

Anyways, hope this X3 will be a keeper like my ’03 330i. I’d like to thank everyone contributing to this forum and sharing the ownership experience which have helped me tremendously. Better late than never!

Attached is a shot of our X3 freshly washed.
Cheers!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PA180184small.JPG
Views:	105
Size:	190.1 KB
ID:	205385  
Ads by Google
Old 10-21-2009, 05:27 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: bmw 2007 x3
HI chp

We have a 07 since new and had the Tranny reprog. with success for the last 2 yrs. Great car, have fun and if you maintain it on sked I am sure you will enjoy it for a long time.
Geo Allan
Old 10-21-2009, 03:22 PM
BMW Enthusiast!

Mein Auto: 2007 Z4+X3, 2006 530Xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHP2SZH View Post
We just purchased a CPO '07 X3 for my wife recently after the lease was up on the Mazda CX7. Jet Black with black leatherette interior. Auto, Cold Weather Pkg, Xenon, and Privacy glass are the only major options. It seems the previous owner took really good care of this X3 as it looks brand spanking new inside and out.

We found this lease returned X3 at our local BMW dealership. It was "just" turned back in only a couple days and was not even detailed. I spent two hours on a Sunday afternoon carefully inspected the car at the dealership's parking lot. I'm pretty picky about my car, but i can't believe I only found total of 3 small rock chips on this X3! Carfax came back pretty clean. A total of 4 services were done. 3 oil changes at 6k, 12k, and last one at 17K before it was turned back in. Only warranty repair was it had an amplifier (I assume its related to radio) replaced at 2k.

We've spent about two months looking for the CX7 replacement. We've looked at and test drove a new Toyota Highlander, RAV4, Honda CRV, Pilot, Saturn Outlook, Subaru Forester, Outback, Ford Flex, Edge and even thinking another CX7. Finally both of us were ready to settle on a black Highlander Sport before we found this X3.

Wife really liked the look of X3. We've both test drove the '06 and '09 X3 briefly and I found '06 has a sportier ride (w/o SP), better engine/exhaust sound which is similar to our ’03 330i; however, this ’07 was in such perfect condition we did not bother to look further.

The X3 was perfect…or so we thought…

Unfortunately I made two mistakes when I bought this car.
1. I didn't find this website before buying
2. I didn't do an extensive test drive on this X3

This X3 has the dreaded transmission as described by many members here. I couldn’t believe it drove so differently than the ’06 and even the ’09’s. I went online, found this site, spent 2 nights reading all the treads. I was freaking out and seriously thought I’ve made a big mistake buying this X3.

The next day I immediately made an appointment with BMW service 2 days after I bought the X3 to have the engine/transmission reprogrammed. I took it in, waited 2 hours, and voila, it was done.

The X3 drove completely different like night and day. No more “pulling” and “sling shot launch” effect, the transmission shifted much much better. Not 100%, but 90%. Which is good enough for me. I could not believe the previous owner could drive 2 years 17k miles in the old condition .

After about 500 miles later, its still golden. I hope this means the reprogram is a success.

Anyways, hope this X3 will be a keeper like my ’03 330i. I’d like to thank everyone contributing to this forum and sharing the ownership experience which have helped me tremendously. Better late than never!

Attached is a shot of our X3 freshly washed.
Cheers!

I am sure you will be fine. I had the same feeling of dread when I bought my X3. I saw this board, said "what did I do?" and had the dealer reprogram the transmission. 1.3 years and 25k miles later, I am still smiling!

I am sure you will love your X3! Congrats!

My garage: 2007 BMW Z4 3.0si Manual, 2007 BMW X3, 2006 BMW 530xi

Retired: 1998 BMW Z3

Member of BMWCCA!
Old 10-21-2009, 04:35 PM

Mein Auto: BMW X3 2009 AT
Quote:
No more “pulling” and “sling shot launch” effect, the transmission shifted much much better.
Sling shot effect LOL....good terminology.
Old 10-21-2009, 04:40 PM
Tar Heel Faithful

Send a message via AIM to AzNMpower32
Mein Auto: 2006 325i sport
Congrats on the acqusition, and glad to hear the update worked for you.
Old 10-21-2009, 05:22 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 X3 2.5i
Quote:
Only warranty repair was it had an amplifier (I assume its related to radio) replaced at 2k.
More likely that the amplifier replacement was for the remote locking.
Some owners had problems with poor range, and I think BMW had one or two other fixes before settling on an antenna amplifier for the receiver/transmitter.
The Service Information Bulletin went something like this:

"SITUATION
The remote control range is inadequate or inoperative in specific areas. There are no faults stored in the General Module (ZKE)

CAUSE
Hardware issue in the 315MHz antenna amplifier

CORRECTION
On a customer complaint basis only, install an improved 315MHz antenna amplifier with AI index 05 or higher"

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The oil changes at 6K intervals sounds like the original owner was intending to keep it long-term, so it has probably been well cared for in other ways.
Old 10-21-2009, 06:02 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 330i / 2007 X3
Congrats. The transmission isn't the best. Its not the worse either, when the software update is a success. The rest of the vehicle's dynamics make up for the so so transmission.

N52 Motor is sweet
The Nevada leather in the X3 much better then the Dakota leather in my E90.
The brakes are good and last long
The Scorpion tires are good and last long
The interior is built well and will last long
Rear heated seats =). Oh yes, that is cool
The X3 shares the same suspension design as the E90, so none of the dreaded ball joint and rubber bushing failures of the E46.

Last edited by bluskye; 10-21-2009 at 06:06 PM.
Old 10-22-2009, 06:32 AM

Thank you all for the great feedback and encouragement!! We've REALLY enjoyed driving the X3 even more with the silky smooth I6 engine (compared with the CX7's clunky turbo four), ok transmission, great vehicle dynamics, bright xenon headlights, and of course the butt and back warmer.

Very Much appreciated. This X3 really performed well beyond our expectation. I'm waiting for our first snow fall to experience first hand how well the Xdrive will do.

Surpercourse,
Its interesting to find out that "amplifier" in BMW term means RF receiver.
Do you have additional info on this? Is it the receiver module they replaced or just simply amplifier antenna?

thanks!
Old 10-22-2009, 07:16 AM

Mein Auto: 2004 X3 2.5i
Quote:
Its interesting to find out that "amplifier" in BMW term means RF receiver.
Do you have additional info on this? Is it the receiver module they replaced or just simply amplifier antenna?
Yes, just the amplifier.
(The previous fix was an upgraded receiver module in the form a Homelink UGDO rearview mirror - even for owners that did not initially have that optional item, apparently.
That gave them some new functionality, but did not solve the original problem.)
Old 10-23-2009, 08:04 PM

Mein Auto: X#
What's the exact terminology that you use to ask them to reprogram?

I have the same sling-shot effect issue with 07 X3, when I inquired before on my last service - they told me it didn't need it..don't know if they blew me off because I'm just a girl
Old 10-24-2009, 05:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleshia View Post
I have the same sling-shot effect issue with 07 X3, when I inquired before on my last service - they told me it didn't need it..don't know if they blew me off because I'm just a girl
Hello,

From the fellow X3 forum members' update, I was prepared to show my BMW Service Advisor the following when I went in for the reprogramming:

SIB 240807 EGS update
SIB 121707 DME update

However, when I brought my X3 in, the SA seemed to know exactly what I was talking about and even before I tried to show him these two SIBs, he told me the SIB numbers off his memory He must have done lots of this for other X3's??

You should ask your SA to show you the service history of your '07. If these two SIBs have been done, it will show up. If not, then I really doubt your X3 has the updated programming.

Hope this helps!