Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - E38 (1995 - 2001)

7 Series - E38 (1995 - 2001)

Old 10-21-2009, 02:06 PM

Mein Auto: 2001 740 il
Question 01 740il - OSV - Burning oil, smoke in exhaust

My 01 740il has been burning through oil and Smokes Sometimes..
I get a great big plume of smoke when I start it in the morning, sometimes.
Or when drive it then park it then drive it later, sometimes.
I get a great big plume of smoke when I open it up, WOT on the freeway entrance, but then it goes away.
Or Ill be driving and it will be fine but when I take a hard turn I get a great big plume of smoke, but only sometimes.

I did the OSV replacement a couple of months ago, and it seemed to work for a while.
But now I am still getting a lot of oil build up in my Intake Manifold.
And my Check engine light came on, I ran the codes and it was a misfire in cylinder #1 and #8. My 4-month old spark plugs were all fouled up, replacing those made the light go off.

Did I do the OSV wrong?
or
Did it just go bad again?
or
Is there something else wrong?

Any Help would be appreciated
Advertisement
Old 10-22-2009, 02:23 AM

Mein Auto: 1999 740iL
740iL Smokes

My '99 7 is doing almost the exact same thing, however mine only smokes for a brief period when I first crank it in the mornings and when it's been sitting for an hour or so. Did you ever find out the problem(s)? If so, please let me know....I've replace the air mass, crankcase ventilator (this seemed to eliminate the problem but then it came back again less than two months later!?), spark plugs, ignition coils, gaskets etc to no avail! Thanks.
Old 10-22-2009, 10:32 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2001 740i
i wish i knew what the correct name of the part was, because when i bought my E38 back in february it did the same thing. the dealership fixed it though so i havent a clue on its exact name. from what i remember its something to the effect of a Lambda valve. i should go ask them, this would likely help you guys out. i may visit the dealership tomorrow, i'll ask them what was replaced. i just know its not smoke from oil, its from too rich a mixture of fuel and the cloud is basically vaporized fuel. hope this helps yall

*Der E38*
manufactured: 7/01
color: anthrecite metallic
wheels: style 89 E66, 19X9F 19X10R
ext. lighting: 8000k D2S & LED plate light
*want to get sport rear diff*
Old 10-23-2009, 10:55 AM
vmijjg91

Mein Auto: 2001 BMW 740IL
The first OSV valve I put on my car was bad and I had to replace it again along with my valve cover gaskets. This eliminated my smoking on start up.
Old 10-26-2009, 02:08 PM

Mein Auto: Bmw 740il
You may need to change your valve cover gaskets.......they could be leaking oil into the spark plug compartment causing the miss fires and burning oil. Do it soon or your coils will go bad due too the oil. Mine had the same issue and that fixed everything. I had to buy new spark plugs coils and spark plugs though. When I changed it the rubber gaskets shatters like glass
Old 04-23-2011, 05:50 PM

Mein Auto: 2001 BMW 740il
BMW 740IL Smoke on start

Has anyone resolve the issue of smoke on start and then goes away? I'd love to know what the fix was as I've spent a ton of money trying to figure it out.

I took mine to the shop and they flushed the engine, removed the oil pan and cleaned, replaced right valve cover gasket. When I got it back it was worse than before and leaks oil. Took it back and they said they replaced left valve cover. I didn't believe them since they didn't touch left and didn't leak before oil pan and right valve cover, remove and replace.

The smoke on start continued as before, but as before it was random. About 1,000 miles later it began running real rough when I started it and got a huge plume of smoke. I turned it off and took off the left valve cover and plugs. From front to rear, plugs 2,3,&4 had oil on the threads and 4 was fouled. There was also oil in the chamber outside the plugs. I examined the inner valve cover gasket and could see partial penetration but not all the way through. Unless the oil in the inner chamber was left there by the shop, I have no explanation how it got there.

I took off right spark plug cover after noticing condensation on the left. Both covers had droplets of condensation but not sure if it's water or oil.
Old 05-21-2011, 09:07 PM

Mein Auto: United States
i too have a similar problem with my 97 740 il

plugs getting fouled, keeps causing misfire. all i know is its definitly not any of the coils. What do you guys go after first. i keep reading somthing about a osv? is that oil separator valve? i dont work on these bmws much as you can tell. Im prety certain cuz its been sitting fora while but when i last worked on it, once i cleaned the plugs it wouldnt miss, but within a week it would be missing again, plugs very oily. Somewhat oily on the plug and boot side, but even more oily on the electrode side. I cant run the vehicle yet because the water pump is shot, so i have to replace that before i can really begin diagnosing. Once i get the pump on there, what would you guys look for first..crank case ventilation? oil seperator?
Old 05-21-2011, 09:53 PM
E38 E91 (R56 E30 E39)

Mein Auto: The E38
OSV is the oil separator valve and it's often the problem for a white puff of smoke on start up.

www.e38.org has a few posts about it. The general test is to pull the oil dip stick while the engine is running - if it makes a sucking noise, and/or if put your finger on the hole and feel suction, it's the OSV.

Passed on to new families:
E30 1987 325i Royal Blue
E39 2003 540i/6 Sterling Gray
R56 2010 Mini Cooper S British Racing Green

Old 06-23-2011, 03:01 AM

Mein Auto: Your mom.
What if I already replaced the OSV about a year ago. Is it possible that it got messed up again if the engine still had sludge from before? It was in really bad condition the dirties oil ever. Everytime I start the car a white ploom of smoke blows out. Someone told me it could be the Valve seals under the front manifold behind the timing chain. But could it be the OSV again. It's only been about 9 thousand miles roughly. If it is the front crank case ventilation valve is it necessary to removed the timing chains? and does anyone have a guide?
Old 06-23-2011, 08:28 AM

Mein Auto: 97 740il
EtherHunt

Help yourself by providing more information about your car.
Year....m60....m62.....m62tu.???

Last edited by Brummel; 06-23-2011 at 08:31 AM.
Old 06-23-2011, 04:53 PM

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brummel View Post
EtherHunt

Help yourself by providing more information about your car.
Year....m60....m62.....m62tu.???
M62 the one before Vanos but after Nikasil.

Basically It's an engine with 270,000 miles. Did OSV on it and then after two oil changes I decided to use Engine sludge cleaner. It was dripping oil prior to that though.
Then One day I start the car and smoke blows out the back it's done 4 times so far. I haven't drove it since. It can't be OSV. It might be gaskets and leaking into combustion chamber maybe? or crank case ventilation, if its the ccv then will I have to removed the timing chains? is that hard to do? are there any guides?
Old 06-23-2011, 10:24 PM

Mein Auto: 1998 740il & 1987 325 is
It's the ccv. Save yourself a lot of time & money & replace it with genuine bmw. The ccv (crank case ventilation valve) will go bad because of a leak n a gasket so find it or them too. U will also most likely need ALL of the intake manifold gaskets. Good luck. I just went thru this, it was very stressful.

Sent from my VM670 using Bimmer App
Old 06-24-2011, 08:09 AM

Mein Auto: 97 740iL
sleepymartini, if you didn't already state that you changed the OSV, I would have recommended replacing it, but since you already did, I don't know. Did you have this issue before replacing the OSV? Did it get better after replacing it? Maybe you got a defective OSV that failed in less than a year.

Heartboy, sounds like valve stem seals. Mine has 207k miles right now, and if I don't start the car for a few days, it will smoke and run rough for a few seconds.

BM740il, I was thinking valve cover gaskets as well, but if the oil is in the intake, and not on the valve cover, then this cannot be the problem.

Hawk73ku, from reading your post, I'd imagine that your original problem was due to either valve stem seals starting to go bad, or a bad OSV. But now that the shop touched it and the problem got worse, I don't know. I'd buy the gaskets and try to take on the OSV, valve cover gaskets, and oil pan gasket myself if I were you, as these jobs are not really that hard to do, and there are lots of write-ups and people out there that should help you out if you try to do this yourself. These jobs just take time and patience.

monk46, I'd start with the valve cover gaskets.

Etherhunt, I believe it is your valve stem seals as well, but they are in the heads themselves surrounding each of the 32 valves in the motor. I don't know how to diagnose a bad CCV (the part behind the timing chain with a pipe that connects to the OSV) in these cars, but I've heard that it is hard to get to as well as being time consuming, just like the valve stem seals. My 740iL has 207k miles right now, and my valve stem seals are starting to go. At 270k miles, I'd imagine that I'd get smoke at every start-up as well. If anyone knows how to diagnose a bad CCV, please let me know.

taralynn, are you talking about the OSV behind the intake manifold, or the CCV behind the timing chain? I have heard one name used for the other and vice versa. Honestly, I don't know if these are even the names that BMW uses to classify these parts.
Old 06-24-2011, 10:17 AM

Mein Auto: 2001 740 il
I did the OSV replacement 2 years ago, and I still get a big plume of smoke when I start until I give it WOT. So my question is; Are the OSVs going bad because the parts themselves are faulty, or is it a design flaw in the OSV system that causes the OSV to go bad, and it doesn't matter if you replace it it will eventually go bad again.

I also replaced the Valve Cover Gaskets(which was a pretty easy DIY) and that seemed to fix the plume of smoke on hard turns.
Old 06-27-2011, 12:15 AM

Alright I figured it out sorta. It is not OSV (these cars are built out of plastic and cheap materials on purpose like most cars). It's the Crank Case Ventilation listed as Oil Seperator on realoem dot com (is it really oem bmw genuine 100 percent?) So for sure thing I will be changing all gaskets and bolt gaskets and oil pan gaskets and I will be called Gasket King. Then or before I mean, I will also change the plastic guide rails crap that breaks on purpose so these cars will never exist unless they keep producing extra parts or people maguyver things together. And then I will try to sell it maybe. Oh and I'm also planing on taking pictures of the whole ordeal and posting the first official CCV replacement guide on e thirty eight dot org. best place to order all this stuff? does anyone have any links? whats the best site for purchasing genuine bmw parts?
Old 02-24-2014, 07:35 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 740 il
Hi,
Did you ever figure out the fix for your car? I have the exact same model and I have changed the Mass Air Flow , the PCV and still have the same problem. Very frustrating
Old 02-27-2014, 12:24 AM

Mein Auto: 1999 740il
I have the same issue...doing valve cover gaskets this weekend...ill post the outcome.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using BimmerApp mobile app
Old 02-27-2014, 07:05 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 740 il
i Had to put my car back in the shop. Still smoking. It is not the valve covers, the mass air flow filter or the PCV valve
Old 02-28-2014, 02:16 PM

Mein Auto: 2000 BMW 740I SPORT
could very might be the CYCLONE valve behind the timing chain..That sucker is BRITTLE...like a chocolate bunny u get on EASTER, of course the HOLLOW version
2000 740i Sport , Alpina 21`, Alpina Lip, Alpina Deco Stripe kit,Dinan 7,Dinan TB, DINAN CAI, DINAN Exhaust, Dinan Software Stage 5, Dinan manifold, Highline individual interior,Eibach/Bilstein,Zimmerman Timing guides done
Old 07-20-2014, 10:58 PM

Mein Auto: 740i
new member hello guys
Old 07-20-2014, 11:04 PM

I have the same startup smoking problem and also oil leak from the bottom. has anyone been successful fixing this problem? if you please help thanks
Old 07-20-2014, 11:27 PM

I have 74 0 i 2000 smoking at startup and oil leak from the bottom I change PCV valve valve cover gaskets and it's sealed from the bottom timing cover the car start to shake a lot and I have to change the spark plugs is soaked with oil don't know where is coming from someone please help thanks

Sent from my PC36100 using BimmerApp mobile app
Old 07-21-2014, 12:34 AM

Mein Auto: 2001 740i Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by EtherHunt View Post
What if I already replaced the OSV about a year ago. Is it possible that it got messed up again if the engine still had sludge from before? It was in really bad condition the dirties oil ever. Everytime I start the car a white ploom of smoke blows out. Someone told me it could be the Valve seals under the front manifold behind the timing chain. But could it be the OSV again. It's only been about 9 thousand miles roughly. If it is the front crank case ventilation valve is it necessary to removed the timing chains? and does anyone have a guide?
It is one or the other. From what I understand, the CCVV takes some doing to get at so replace the OSV again. this is relatively painless compared to the CCVV and then you will know your options at that point. Make sure you get a good one not some aftermarket ebay OSV...
Old 07-21-2014, 12:38 AM

Mein Auto: 2001 740i Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by asare40 View Post
I have 74 0 i 2000 smoking at startup and oil leak from the bottom I change PCV valve valve cover gaskets and it's sealed from the bottom timing cover the car start to shake a lot and I have to change the spark plugs is soaked with oil don't know where is coming from someone please help thanks

Sent from my PC36100 using BimmerApp mobile app
You probably have more than one issue...
Old 10-07-2014, 06:43 AM

Mein Auto: 540i, 740i, e320...
Long time forum reader, but new member. I am not and expert, I like to solve problems and need some advice with my current one. Check out this link it give guidance on how to diagnose a failing CCV (or PCV). I found this invaluable in my quest although some of the pics are for a 5-series.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=534005

I have a 2000 740i (sport) and it was having some pressure when I pulled the dip stick out and had sporadic rough idle with a misfire in #5 coupled with howling on start-up. I started to diagnose - in my way - checking/verifying plugs and ingnition coils where good, performed visuals. snoop, and smoke test on all vac system lines. I found a few culprits and decided to change out the CCV and those lines using this nice video (i only posted part 1)

Once installed the CCV did its job, howling gone and good -ve pressure, after a few days once the manifold required the use of the CCV the CEL came on with rough idle again, mind you I did not have +ve pressure from the dipstick and have slight vac from both the tube and oil cap. I now hear gurgling from the dipstick. I suspect a blockage in the jet valve or outlet from the oil separator (inside the block behind the timing chain).

I must note that I did not have smoke, no excessive oil in the spark plug chamber (outside where the coils click into) either. When I pulled the old CCV the diaphragm was torn. My question is are there prone blockage points that I can check, could I have a faulty CCV or are there other diagnoses I can perform to get to the root cause of the rough idle?

My appologies for the lengthy post, any help/direction would be greatly appreciated. Correct me if I am wrong these are my findings only.