Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Old 10-23-2009, 09:17 AM

Mein Auto: Audi A3
Test drove the X3 and thought it was perfect. We were worried that an SUV would be too large as both of us detest large vehicles. But other than being higher off the ground than we're used to, it didn't feel too bad. I practiced parking it a few times, (salesman gave me a weird look when I did this) to see what it felt like, and I thought it was like driving a taller version of my A3.

The handling is definitely stiffer than what I thought it was going to be, but the last SUV I've driven in was a Suburban, so my perception was way off. I didn't really want it to be too soft though. May be an odd thing, but I hate it when I can't feel the car or when there's any degree of chassis sway. It's unnerving to me.

Power and brakes were good, not great (last BMW I drove was a 135i, again, perception off), but it didn't seem to be a slouch either, so good enough for us.

Overall, I'm sold on it, but not at their price. There's another X3 nearby that has a premium and sports package for the same price, so we'll most likely be going with them.

BTW, we've changed our boy in the back of our A3. It works pretty well, as long as you have something soft to kneel down on the ground with.
Old 10-23-2009, 09:39 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2005 BMW X3 3.0i
Quote:
Originally Posted by edub98 View Post
BTW, we've changed our boy in the back of our A3. It works pretty well, as long as you have something soft to kneel down on the ground with.
You won't have to kneel down with an X3.

(OO \ (|||) (|||) / OO)
Old 10-23-2009, 12:20 PM

Mein Auto: BMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evlengr View Post
Ok, I tried to defend your right to express dissatisfaction with the X3, but this is getting ridiculous.

My family has a saying, "You can b@#$h all you want if you have exhasuted all options.

Have you talked to an attorney? If so what have they advised that they can help you or

not?

Let stick to the OP's original thread.

One of the thngs I do like about the X3 is that it is really easy getting babys in and out. Also, the back hatch area has great little wells to hold wetnaps, extra diapers, and even change of clothes. Throw in an all weather mat and you have a waterproof great place to change your baby in a pinch.

Ergonomically and safety wise (barring the dreaded AT) its great for little ones.

God, PPXWY sure has some issues with his car... as if complaining on forum mostly populated by X3 enthusiasts is going to get him anywhere, funny the way some people handle things.
To the OP, I just picked up an '06 X3 with sport package and absolutely love, love the car! I have 2 small children and you know what? the utility of the vehicle is nice. The ride is great... its got the sport suspension so its got the characteristic BMW-ride. Love it... you will not go wrong with whatever X3 you buy... well, u might steer clear of PPXY's if he tries to sell it to you, his sounds broken. But everyone else on here, by in large, are pretty damn happy.
Old 10-24-2009, 12:40 PM

Mein Auto: BMW X3 2009 AT
Quote:
Originally Posted by edub98 View Post
I didn't really want it to be too soft though. May be an odd thing, but I hate it when I can't feel the car or when there's any degree of chassis sway. It's unnerving to me.
Chassis sway = another good piece of verbage.

My X3 has a large degree of chassis sway. It sways side to side right behind the driver's seat, front to back and corner to corner. It is bad enough that I wonder if there isn't a problem in the actual frame itself.

It is much easier to feel this when riding slowly over paved roads. It isn't as pronounced when accelerating strongly or at highway speeds. It is intermittent but when you feel it, it is...yowza what was that! At its worst, it induces sea sickness.
Old 10-24-2009, 07:44 PM

Mein Auto: BMW
Hey PP, I got an idea... you should save yourself the agony and torture of having to drive such a miserable car and sell that bad ride. There are alot of cars out there that may just fit the bill of what you're looking for, but clearly the BMW you're driving doesn't. In fact, save us all the agony of having to listen to you...
Really not trying to start sh*t with you, just my humble take. If I had a buddy that was that unhappy with a car, I would tell him the same thing. So, I guess that makes you my buddy.
Old 10-24-2009, 08:42 PM

Mein Auto: 2 2004 X3's
Now just what are "real SUVs"? Just curious. Want to know what is being compared to mine which must be fake based on the comment.
Old 10-24-2009, 10:23 PM
Drink the koolaid or else

Send a message via Yahoo to kjboyd
Mein Auto: 2009 MINI Cooper Clubman
as much as i hated the transmission, the ride was NEVER a problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPXYZ View Post
IMO I don't see how you could put a newborn into the X3. The ride in my brand new 2009 is the worst I have ever experienced in any car including real SUVs. It bucks, it rocks, it bounces and it jerks when accelerating and decelerating.

Why don't you look for a station wagon?

-----
2009 MINI Cooper Clubman - "Oxley"
Nightfire Red/NFR, Tuscan Leather, CP, PP, CW, Roof Rails & Aero Kit, 16" Bridge Spokes, Xenon, Auto, English Oak Trim & Wood Wheel, Alarm, Hi-Fi

-------

2007 Volvo S60 2.5T
2007 X3.0si PlatBronze/Beige
2006 X3 3.0i, Flamenco Red/Beige
1997 528iA, Oxford/Tan
1994 318iS, Black/Gray
1979 528iA, RubyRed, Tan
1971 2002, Sahara, Saddle
Old 10-24-2009, 10:27 PM
Drink the koolaid or else

Send a message via Yahoo to kjboyd
Mein Auto: 2009 MINI Cooper Clubman
Quote:
Originally Posted by PPXYZ View Post
Yes that was a quip.

The real point is that even the family dog no longer goes into the X3 due to the head banging treatment from the excessive bouncing on one trip. Maybe that is not as big a concern for an infant strapped into a child seat but that doesn't mean it is a good idea if his X3 does what mine does.

The family dog will require cargo holds in order to return to the X3 and then only in a pinch.

I still say that a station wagon is a much better idea for an infant or young child. If BMW station wagons are so great to drive then a 3 or 5 series wagon is a much better idea.
same boat as Ev here... NO ONE ELSE'S X3 does what yours does. so do something about and stop complaining till you do.

-----
2009 MINI Cooper Clubman - "Oxley"
Nightfire Red/NFR, Tuscan Leather, CP, PP, CW, Roof Rails & Aero Kit, 16" Bridge Spokes, Xenon, Auto, English Oak Trim & Wood Wheel, Alarm, Hi-Fi

-------

2007 Volvo S60 2.5T
2007 X3.0si PlatBronze/Beige
2006 X3 3.0i, Flamenco Red/Beige
1997 528iA, Oxford/Tan
1994 318iS, Black/Gray
1979 528iA, RubyRed, Tan
1971 2002, Sahara, Saddle
Old 10-29-2009, 07:32 AM

Mein Auto: '06 X3
As much as I hate the ride the transmission was never a problem, but then I have the 5 speed automatic!