Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Old 10-21-2009, 09:31 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: BMW X3 2009 AT
Sandpaper noise

OK so now it sounds like it is riding on sandpaper. The noise comes up through the floor boards and is so loud inside the car that it competes with the radio at times.

This is just at 30 mph or thereabouts.
Ads by Google
Old 10-21-2009, 09:49 PM
I hate doing dishes

Mein Auto: '05 X3 3.0i
Are you sure it's not just tire noise? Some roads paved with a rough surface can create quite a noise in the cabin. I just did a 600+ mile trip and rode on many different type surfaces. They each had their own distinct sound. The worst was a rough blacktop, it was composed of regular asphalt with somewhat larger rocks in it to either (A) increase traction in bad weather, or (B) cut the cost of re-paving that stretch of road.
Old 10-21-2009, 11:31 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 X3 2.5i
I'm a bit concerned that PPXYZ never seems to get his new X3 above 30 mph.

Could it be that the car needs a good road trip to get the tightness out of the suspension,
establish some appropriate wear patterns in the tires,
bed the brakes in, and make some progress toward the 8 to 10K miles point for better fuel economy?

BMWs and their owners are not likely to be happy if they are restricted to driving in urban gridlock.
Old 10-22-2009, 06:54 AM
Aficionado

Mein Auto: '05 X3, '95 M3, '89 MkI
Quote:
Originally Posted by PPXYZ View Post
OK so now it sounds like it is riding on sandpaper. The noise comes up through the floor boards and is so loud inside the car that it competes with the radio at times.

This is just at 30 mph or thereabouts.
Are you sure you don't have the HDC on?? Seriously, I think your X3 is possesed. Or she just doesen't like you.
Old 10-22-2009, 03:22 PM
BMW Enthusiast!

Mein Auto: 2007 Z4+X3, 2006 530Xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supercourse View Post
I'm a bit concerned that PPXYZ never seems to get his new X3 above 30 mph.

Could it be that the car needs a good road trip to get the tightness out of the suspension,
establish some appropriate wear patterns in the tires,
bed the brakes in, and make some progress toward the 8 to 10K miles point for better fuel economy?

BMWs and their owners are not likely to be happy if they are restricted to driving in urban gridlock.
I agree - BMW's are meant to be driven. 30 mph is not much of a drive!

But, 500 miles at 30 mph = almost 17 hours behind the wheel!

My garage: 2007 BMW Z4 3.0si Manual, 2007 BMW X3, 2006 BMW 530xi

Retired: 1998 BMW Z3

Member of BMWCCA!
Old 10-22-2009, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ishniknork View Post
Are you sure it's not just tire noise? Some roads paved with a rough surface can create quite a noise in the cabin. I just did a 600+ mile trip and rode on many different type surfaces. They each had their own distinct sound. The worst was a rough blacktop, it was composed of regular asphalt with somewhat larger rocks in it to either (A) increase traction in bad weather, or (B) cut the cost of re-paving that stretch of road.
I agree that it is probably the tire noise but it is really loud inside. I can also feel the vibration underneath the pedals. On rougher pavement the entire steering column vibrates. The grinding noise comes from just regularly paved roads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by madurodave View Post
I agree - BMW's are meant to be driven. 30 mph is not much of a drive!

But, 500 miles at 30 mph = almost 17 hours behind the wheel!
The reason my new 2009 X3 doesn't see much gas mileage is because it is so uncomfortable and unnerving to drive it gets left behind in the garage most of the time.

Last edited by PPXYZ; 10-22-2009 at 06:03 PM.
Old 10-22-2009, 06:13 PM
BMW Enthusiast!

Mein Auto: 2007 Z4+X3, 2006 530Xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by PPXYZ View Post
The reason my new 2009 X3 doesn't see much gas mileage is because it is so uncomfortable and unnerving to drive it gets left behind in the garage most of the time.
So PPXYZ, have you gotten an attorney yet to get this settled? If the X3 is as bad as you say, and if the dealer is doing nothing to resolve your issues, take BMW and the dealer to court to get it settled!

My garage: 2007 BMW Z4 3.0si Manual, 2007 BMW X3, 2006 BMW 530xi

Retired: 1998 BMW Z3

Member of BMWCCA!
Old 10-23-2009, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madurodave View Post
So PPXYZ, have you gotten an attorney yet to get this settled? If the X3 is as bad as you say, and if the dealer is doing nothing to resolve your issues, take BMW and the dealer to court to get it settled!
What are you talking about? Really, I paid extra to have the following features included in my 2009 X3. The sand paper like grinding noise under the floorboards was just an extra thrown in for goodwill.

From early on in the sticky which I am reviewing page by page.

"Dear SM:

Thank you for your time last night. Could you share with your shop foreman (sorry his name escapes me) the information below and have him verify that what I experience with the transmission of the X3 is explained as he did last night.

Lack of immediate throttle response - this is an electronically controlled transmission (as opposed to a cable) and the brain needs a second or so to think and send an instruction to the transmission for a response

Lack of acceleration or feel of not getting out of the way during corner or turn (binding feeling) - this is the stability control taking over and not allowing the car to accelerate so that the driver does not experience under or over steer

Feeling every gear change as the car up shifts - BMW engineers their cars so that the drivers "feel" the car. They could program this out but its a conscious choice to give a feel to the vehicle

Hard shifting and binding feel when in traffic - BMW has a 1-2 1-2 transmission lock that if it senses consecutive shifts from 1st gear to 2nd, back to 1st and into 2nd it will lock into 2nd gear as a way to "save fuel" during stop and go traffic.

Binding and noticeable down shifting when rolling to a stop - this is a characteristic of the AWD. You feel things because the front transmission mechanisms are still turning. "
Old 10-23-2009, 10:45 PM
Drink the koolaid or else

Send a message via Yahoo to kjboyd
Mein Auto: 2009 MINI Cooper Clubman
the last one is total BS cause the 128 i test drove did it too as well as the 128 i had as loaner for 4 days.

-----
2009 MINI Cooper Clubman - "Oxley"
Nightfire Red/NFR, Tuscan Leather, CP, PP, CW, Roof Rails & Aero Kit, 16" Bridge Spokes, Xenon, Auto, English Oak Trim & Wood Wheel, Alarm, Hi-Fi

-------

2007 Volvo S60 2.5T
2007 X3.0si PlatBronze/Beige
2006 X3 3.0i, Flamenco Red/Beige
1997 528iA, Oxford/Tan
1994 318iS, Black/Gray
1979 528iA, RubyRed, Tan
1971 2002, Sahara, Saddle