Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > M Series > E46 M3 (2001-2006)

E46 M3 (2001-2006)

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 10-22-2009, 09:33 AM
bmwM305 bmwM305 is offline
Registered User
Location: Miami
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 1
Mein Auto: 2006 BMW M3 Cabriolet
can tinted windows cause noise with convertible tops

my 06 M3 cabriolet sounds like an old buggy when driving down the street with the top and windows up. i've been to bmw service and they tell me that the noise is due to the tint on the windows causing rubbing on the seals. i spoke with several compaines that do both convertible top replacement and tinting who say that it's unlikely causing the creaking noise.

has anyone else experienced this? if so please post or email me directly. thanks
Reply With Quote
Ads by Google
  #2  
Old 11-03-2009, 06:48 PM
sunsational sunsational is offline
Registered User
Location: FL
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 33
Mein Auto: 03 M3 Vert 27k Miles
Yes, I have the same exact problem with mine and it's driving me crazy!! I have an 03 with 33k on it an one layer of limo on it. It makes all kinds of creaking noise. I always wondered if that was the reason, do you think that's it?
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 11-12-2009, 10:42 AM
Steve1961 Steve1961 is offline
Registered User
Location: San Diego
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 1
Mein Auto: M3 Convertible
I also have that issue with my 2004 M3. It is really annoying and makes me crazy. I too was told by BMW that it was due to my tinting. I doubt it though. My friends say it isn't that bad, they say it's just me. By the way, I'm selling the car for $25,900. It's in excellent condition. I bought it from Autobahn West as only the 2nd owner. Steve
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 11-15-2009, 05:36 AM
EddieB's Avatar
EddieB EddieB is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Woodland Hills
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 703
Mein Auto: '13 335i M-Sport 6sp
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwM305 View Post
my 06 M3 cabriolet sounds like an old buggy when driving down the street with the top and windows up. i've been to bmw service and they tell me that the noise is due to the tint on the windows causing rubbing on the seals. i spoke with several compaines that do both convertible top replacement and tinting who say that it's unlikely causing the creaking noise.

has anyone else experienced this? if so please post or email me directly. thanks
You might try some gummiphlege on the rubber seals. My 06 Coupe and 325i 4 door all had a bit of that window rubbing and gummi helps quite a bit.
__________________
F30 Sapphire Black 335i 6MT|2PE|4AB|ZDH|5AC|LCSW|ZMM|ZPP|ZCW|ZDA|ZDB|ZTP|4 15|688
Previously - F30 335i, E46 M3, E39 530i, E46 325i
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 11-15-2009, 07:34 AM
1love 1love is offline
No more M
Location: KY
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 226
Mein Auto: C6 GS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve1961 View Post
I also have that issue with my 2004 M3. It is really annoying and makes me crazy. I too was told by BMW that it was due to my tinting. I doubt it though. My friends say it isn't that bad, they say it's just me. By the way, I'm selling the car for $25,900. It's in excellent condition. I bought it from Autobahn West as only the 2nd owner. Steve
I hope you are not selling solely due to this noise
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 12-04-2009, 06:12 PM
20ducks's Avatar
20ducks 20ducks is offline
totally obssed
Location: Shawnee Mission, KS
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 188
Mein Auto: 2007 M6 Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieB View Post
You might try some gummiphlege on the rubber seals. My 06 Coupe and 325i 4 door all had a bit of that window rubbing and gummi helps quite a bit.

Okay, as long as you supply me with some gummiphege...I'll pay for what you have.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 12-25-2009, 04:27 PM
ADL ADL is offline
Registered User
Location: Potomac, MD
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 1
Mein Auto: 2002 M3 Conv SMGII
I have the same problem with my M3 and my window are NOT tinted. It seems that the rubber seals between the front and rear side windows wear out and start squeeking. I put a bit of oil on the seal and it works temporarily. May have to replace the seals.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 12-25-2009, 04:45 PM
20ducks's Avatar
20ducks 20ducks is offline
totally obssed
Location: Shawnee Mission, KS
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 188
Mein Auto: 2007 M6 Coupe
Hey EddieB, where is my Gummiphlege?
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > M Series > E46 M3 (2001-2006)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:04 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms