Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)

7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)
Discussion pertaining to the flagship BMW here.

Old 10-23-2009, 02:02 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 745I
02 745i - Navigation map stuck in different state

I recently bought a 2002 745I and the navigation screen keeps showing my location as if I was in Ohio. I guess this would be ok except that I am currently in Virginia. The car has the CD based navigation system with the split screen and came with the # 5 CD map(Midwest & Ohio Valley, 2001.2 ). I have come to reallize that this navigation system takes several different CD map disks each specific to the different regions where you are traveling. With this in mind I purchased the full 2008.1 CD disk map set. The dealer assured me this set would work with my car's navigation and that it would have the most up to date maps currently avalible for this system. Unfortunately, after I put the new # 6disk in (New England & Mid Atlantic), nothing really happened or changed. After poking around for a bit, I was finally able to find my house street under one of the choices (I think it was "location") and find things in the POI section (local gas stations and stuff), however when it goes back to the main screen that shows the arrow in the circle, it is still showing me in Ohio near lake Erie. The arrow & map are moving but it is not following any roads(just cutting across grassy areas etc...). Is there a simple fix to this issue without taking it to the dealer?
Ads by Google
Old 10-27-2009, 06:33 AM

I am just starting to figure out that this problem is probably not with the CD/DVD unit itself. I bought a used DVD unit (upgraded from the old CD unit) and installed it. The swap seems to have taken fine (I'll post more about it if I ever get the system fully operational) but had no impact on my problem (except that instead of showing that I am in Ohio, it now shows me in New Jersey). I bought this DVD unit out of New Jersey so all I can figure is that each unit must have some sort of internal memory of its last or latest location. I am however on to something that might explain this. It seems that this problem could be caused by either a bad TCU or antenna. I will post more as I find some answers. Any help would be appreciated.
Old 10-27-2009, 03:48 PM
President

Mein Auto: BMW
if u upgrade from CD NAV to the DVD NAV,

u gotta have the car programmed!

'03 745i - modded - GONE -
Old 10-27-2009, 04:39 PM

Thanks for the info and I will have this done as soon as I can figure out the base problem. The issue right now is that this problem has been occurring since the original unit was in the car. I have seen your name on many of the posts I've come across in my search. I have spent considerable time so far searching but thus far have been unable to pinpoint this exact problem. Have you heard of or come across this same problem anywhere before? Any help on this subject from you or anyone would be appreciated.
Old 10-27-2009, 05:13 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2002 bmw 745li
Time to play i would start with dealer programming to car to new dvd unit. What year car did you get the dvd unit.
Old 10-27-2009, 05:51 PM

The DVD unit came out of 2003, but the CD unit that was in the car was the original. It doesn't matter which unit is in the car, the symptoms/problems are the same. It is like the units just can't figure out where they are. Does anyone know if this is or could be related to the TCU (telematics control unit) or possibly the antenna? Has anyone seen or read a post/article on this type of problem before?
Old 10-27-2009, 07:19 PM

Mein Auto: 2002 bmw 745li
Not sure why the telematics would have anything to do with showing different state. But the antenna for the gps could have something do to with it. But i would still start with a software update those solve problems to sometimes and with the new unit you could at least rule that out instead of guessing witch control unit to replace. Your problem does sound like it could be a software issue. And once again whenever you get a new module installed it is always best to have it programmed. You dont know if that unit had the correct softwaqre with your current version or not.
Old 10-27-2009, 08:20 PM

johndade - first let me thank you for all your time in helping me with my problem. In response to your post/question on "Not sure why the telematics would have anything to do with showing different state.". I have read that the TCU on an M3 & X5 could possibly be causing this issue and was wondering if anyone new if this also holds true for the 745i?

For all that are interested I have enclosed this information below.

Question

I have a 2004 M3. One day my GPS starting "acting up" thought I was going North when I was going West. Now it thinks I'm in a different town altogether. BMW dealership did a diagnostic (charged me $60) and says it's fine. Any ideas?

Answer

Did they show you the TSB:

SI B 84 19 06
Phone, Navigation Systems

August 2006
Technical Service

SUBJECT
Navigation System Shows Incorrect Vehicle Positioning

MODEL
E46 (3 Series Coupe) with option 609 (Navigation System and option 639 (TCU)

SITUATION

The Navigation system shows incorrect vehicle positioning or has no GPS signal.

CAUSE

GPS antenna signal interference/distortion caused by the Telematics Control Unit (TCU)

CORRECTION

In NAV Service Mode, check the GPS reception signals (S/N value) of the visible satellites in a known good area and compare the result with a known good vehicle.

How to enter the NAV Service Mode:

^ Switch on the Board Monitor

^ Press the "MENU" button

^ Select "Settings"

^ In "Settings", press and hold the "MENU" button for approx. 8 seconds

^ Select "GPS"

^ Press "Function"

^ Press "GPS - Tracking Function"

If the displayed S/N value is 4 or less, pull fuse # 39 (behind the glove box) to disconnect the TCU and recheck the S/N value.

^ If the displayed S/N value stays at 4 or less, troubleshoot the Navigation system and the GPS antenna

^ If the S/N value increases significantly (10 or higher) on the majority of the visible satellites, install a separate GPS antenna in the area behind the instrument cluster (same as on E46 Convertible)

PROCEDURE

1. Remove the instrument cluster, refer to RA 62 21000 (Removing and installing complete instrument cluster).

2. Remove the trim panel for the pedal assembly, refer to repair instruction RA 51 45 185 (Removing and installing/replacing trim for pedal assembly).

3. Remove the side trim panel on the A-pillar, refer to repair instruction RA 51 43 070 (Removing and installing/replacing side trim panel, footwell, on A-pillar, left).

4. Remove the entrance cover strip on the driver side, refer to repair instruction RA 51 47 000 (Removing and installing/replacing front left or right entrance cover strip).

5. Remove the rear seat, refer to repair instruction RA 52 26 005 (Removing and installing/replacing rear seat).

6. Remove the trim on the rear seat backrest (driver side), refer to repair instruction RA 51 43 (Removing and installing/replacing trim on rear seat backrest side section).

7. Remove the side section of the rear seat (driver side), refer to repair instruction RA 52 26 008 (Removing and installing/replacing left or right side section of rear seat backrest).

8. Remove the left rear light (bulb holder, driver side).

9. Remove the trunk floor mat and the left trunk trim, refer to repair instruction RA 51 47 151 (Removing and installing/replacing trunk wheel housing trim, left).

10. Remove the Navigation computer, refer to repair instruction RA 65 90 510 (Removing and installing/replacing navigation computer).

11. Disconnect the original GPS antenna cable (2) from the Navigation computer and tie it back to the wiring harness. Cover the cable and the connector with a tape (1).
12. Mount the GPS antenna to the plastic bracket in the area behind the instrument cluster (above the air duct).
13. Connect the end of the GPS antenna cable (1) to the coax extension cable (2), fix it to the body (with a tape) and run it down along the A-pillar on the existing wiring harness. Make sure that the coax extension cable doesn't get damaged when re-installing the instrument cluster.
14. Run the coax extension cable (2) along the left side of the body all the way back into to trunk area to the Navigation system and tie it to the existing wiring harness (1).
15. Connect the coax extension cable to the Navigation system (1) and tape it to the existing wiring harness.

16. Re-install all interior parts in the opposite order they got removed, make sure that the cables do not get damaged.

17. Re-install the instrument cluster.

18. Re-install the Navigation computer.

19. Test the Navigation system for proper function and re-check the GPS reception signals of the visible satellites in a known good area (refer to the procedure described in Correction).

WARRANTY INFORMATION

Covered under the terms of the BMW New Vehicle Limited Warranty.

Also TSB:
SI B 84 07 06
Phone, Navigation Systems

April 2006
Technical Service

This Service Information bulletin supersedes S.I. B84 07 06 dated March 2006.

[NEW] designates changes to this revision

SUBJECT
BMW Assisttrade; Location Unknown or Inaccurate, TCU Fault Code # 0x6B

Question

my bmw x5 navigation is giving incorrect position. How can I fix that?

Answer

This Service Information bulletin supersedes S.I. B84 07 06 dated March 2006.

[NEW] designates changes to this revision

SUBJECT
BMW Assisttrade; Location Unknown or Inaccurate, TCU Fault Code # 0x6B

Models

SITUATION

[NEW] The customer complaints that when placing a BMW Assist(TM), the vehicle's location is unknown or inaccurate, according to the BMW Assist Response center. However, the Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) is received. The Telematics Control Unit (TCU) has fault code 0x6B, "GPS Communication Fault" stored in memory.

Note: Fault code 0x6B is only relevant to Global Positioning System

(GPS) location related issues.
PROCEDURE

1. Check the BMW Assist(TM) account status on DCSnet. The BMW Assist(TM) services expiration date and the TCU activation status can be checked on DCSnet under Service/Vehicle History Inquiry. Refer to Service Information bulletin B02 01 06 (Updated DCSnet Vehicle History Inquiry information on BMW Assist(TM) for more information. If the BMW Assist(TM) services contract has expired, the customer must renew their BMW Assist services. Do not proceed until these services are renewed.
2. Test the BMW Assist(TM) service for proper operation by placing a test call (press the Roadside Assistance "Wrench" button). Make sure the BMW Assist Response Center received the following information: ^ Correct Mobile Identification Number (MIN) / Mobile Device Number (MDN)
^ Correct Vehicle Identification Number (VIN)
^ Location for the vehicle

3. If the customer complaint cannot be duplicated and the fault is "sporadic" and "not currently present", clear fault memory. Ask the customer for more detailed information: ^ Does the problem only occur at a specific location? Attempt to duplicate the problem at the location where the customer stated the problem occurred.
^ Was the BMW Assist(R) response center representative able to perform a retransmit to obtain the location of the vehicle?
^ If a specific area is identified as a problem:
^ Review the attachment to SI B84 15 03 named "B841503Centers_Outside_of_Verizon_Coverage". If the area where the customer complaint falls within an area outside of Verizon's coverage, please explain to the customer that this is a restriction in the wireless network and there is nothing wrong with their vehicle.
^ [NEW] The following disclaimer was extracted from the BMW Assist(TM) subscriber agreement. "GPS and underlying wireless services must be available and functioning; vehicle ignition must be turned on (except for stolen vehicle recovery services), battery charged and connected and vehicle's electrical system operational; services may be limited to certain geographic areas".
^ If the area is not listed as an out of network area, create a PuMA case with detailed information about the specific location where the problem occurs.

4. If you can duplicate the complaint and the fault is "currently present", check the following: ^ Blue FAKRA connector at the TCU.
^ On E83 vehicles, check the blue FAKRA connection at the shark fin antenna.
^ On E46, E53 and E85 vehicles check the coax cable connection located approximately 100 mm from the GPS antenna.
^ Check the GPS antenna cable with an ohm meter. ^ Disconnect the coax cable from the GPS antenna.
^ Check the coax cable core from end to end. You should have approximately 0 ohms of resistance~
^ Check the coax cable core to the shield. The ohm meter should display high resistance / open circuit.
^ If the desired reading are not obtained the coax cable must be replaced.
^ Reconnect the coax cable.

^ With the vehicle outside and a clear line of sight, using the GT-1 check via "Diagnosis" in "Control Unit Functions" if the TCU has 3-D positioning (3 or more Satellites).

5. If step four does not resolve the concern, plug in a known good GPS antenna and check to see how many satellites the TCU is seeing.
6. If the connections are good and the GPS antenna does not resolve the concern, the TCU should be replaced. Refer to SI B84 23 05 (Enhanced Support for BMW Assist(TM) Telematics Control Unit (TCU) with Bluetooth(R) & CPT9000 Phone Systems) prior to replacing the TCU.
7. [NEW] Refer to SI B01 10 05 (TCU ESN Registration via DCSnet) for new TCU registration information.
8. [NEW] Test the BMW Assisttrade; service for proper operation by placing a test call (press the Roadside Assistance "Wrench" button). Make sure the BMW Assist Response Center has received the correct MIN/MDN, VIN and location for the vehicle. Have the representative update their records as needed.
Old 10-27-2009, 08:23 PM

Mein Auto: 03 745Li
I dont know if you've tried this, but the manual says it can take quite a while for the GPS to start working after disabling the system, I read that it was similar to the TPS in taking about 15-20 minutes to initialize...
Old 10-27-2009, 08:51 PM

Thanks Blue Bimmer. I have driven the car for days with both units in. Even tried a battery reset (now I am wondering if I need to have the battery recognized) . Still no luck. I know where I am most likely heading with this problem (of course the Dealer) however, I would like to go in with as much knowledge on this issue as possible. As I have repeatedly read on this forum, with these complex 745i cars, even the dealers have problems correctly identifying the problems. It seems there is a individual called BMW_Tech that seems extremely versed in the issues of these cars. Anyone know if he is still around? I would love to run this one by him.
Old 08-06-2010, 10:04 PM

Mein Auto: M3, 760LI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Time2Play View Post
Thanks Blue Bimmer. I have driven the car for days with both units in. Even tried a battery reset (now I am wondering if I need to have the battery recognized) . Still no luck. I know where I am most likely heading with this problem (of course the Dealer) however, I would like to go in with as much knowledge on this issue as possible. As I have repeatedly read on this forum, with these complex 745i cars, even the dealers have problems correctly identifying the problems. It seems there is a individual called BMW_Tech that seems extremely versed in the issues of these cars. Anyone know if he is still around? I would love to run this one by him.
Were you able to fix this? I am having the same issue. I have done searches, but no one has said what the fix was.
Old 08-09-2010, 02:30 PM

Mein Auto: 745i
Can someone please help with this problem????? I have been searching for a fix for this problem for a month now and have yet to find a solid solution.
Old 08-17-2010, 07:09 PM

Mein Auto: M3, 760LI
The navigation shows me in the wrong state, and going the wrong direction. I have the current discs from the dealer for 2010, that made NO difference. I tried to figure out how to see what satellites the GPS is picking up, but can't figure out how to get the I-drive in that mode. Any input would be great, I know if I take it to BMW it's gonna start at $250.00 go through a few unrelated parts, then 2 or 3k later...it will be fixed.
Old 08-18-2010, 03:15 AM

Mein Auto: 2002 745LI
When this happened to my car they had to replace the GPS antennae on the top of the car..

++ 2002 745 LI ++

MagnaFlow Universal with Dual 4" Tips + MTec V3's + 8000K HID Bulbs + BTU8000 Bluetooth + ACS Roof Spoiler + K&N Air Filter + Akebono Pads ++
Old 05-13-2011, 12:46 PM

Mein Auto: 2002 745i
Time2Play,
Did you ever get this fixed? What had to be done?
TT
Old 05-13-2011, 05:32 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 645Ci & 2007 750Li
There are 2 kinds of Nav DVD. Ones in the trunk, & 1 is in the dash. They both take a different vwersion Nav disk. The one in the dash is a standard DVD, & the 1 in the trunk take a high version DVD. Just to make sure, is the correct disk in the unit. Read the description to make sure it has your state on the DVD. If it does not have your state listed, it will only show the US on the screen. It will not work correctly!

Hope this might help!
Old 01-01-2012, 09:43 AM

Mein Auto: 03 BM760Li, 67 Mustang
My Nav has worked fine for years...then I noticed it was showing me somewhere else - perhaps KY or MI (vs OH). I have not changed anything. Tried removing the disc in trunk and re-installing it - no luck. I am a strong believer in "re-booting" - does anyone know of a way a DIY'er can reset the NAv system. Perhaps remove fuse and re-install?
Old 08-14-2012, 08:03 PM

Mein Auto: 745i
bumping this thread. I would like to know if it's possible to reload all the default settings on a dvd nav unit (clean start)?

///E65 745I///22" Asanti AF128///H&R springs/// 12" JL W7///

///700whp 00 EK///<-----To many mods///
Old 01-28-2013, 09:58 AM

Mein Auto: '06 750i, '01 M3 vert
Bump ... Anyone have an answer to this thread (besides a new shark fin which I already did)??? Seems like a common problem.

To sum up:

- The map sturns correctly as I turn so there is some communication, but the location stays put. In other words, the map indicates I am turning and turning in my own driveway as I drive.

- Have the latest firmware and did a hard reboot but still no dice.

- Did the location reset procedure as detailed in the owner's manual.

Anyone have any advice?
Old 01-28-2013, 10:33 AM
CRISP & CLEAN

Mein Auto: 745LI
Quote:
Originally Posted by the fly View Post
Bump ... Anyone have an answer to this thread (besides a new shark fin which I already did)??? Seems like a common problem.

To sum up:

- The map sturns correctly as I turn so there is some communication, but the location stays put. In other words, the map indicates I am turning and turning in my own driveway as I drive.

- Have the latest firmware and did a hard reboot but still no dice.

- Did the location reset procedure as detailed in the owner's manual.

Anyone have any advice?

Have you tried a different map dvd ?
If not & you don't have an old map dvd .
Maybe you could meet up with another
Member in your area to try his disc.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Bimmer App

If you need a Custom 2014 DVD Navigation Map
East or West for your E65 E66 PM me for price .
Or if you Need an AUX Plug for your car hit me up
Old 01-28-2013, 03:20 PM

Yes, I have tried two map discs and no difference. I would think that the map wouldn't show any area correctly if that were the issue, no? It just shows my "home" location spinning as I turn...
Old 01-28-2013, 03:23 PM
CRISP & CLEAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by the fly View Post
Yes, I have tried two map discs and no difference. I would think that the map wouldn't show any area correctly if that were the issue, no? It just shows my "home" location spinning as I turn...

Try a laser lens cleaner then try the disc again

Old 02-01-2013, 11:57 AM

Tried a CD cleaner -- no dice.

Any other guesses...?

Thx!
Old 02-01-2013, 12:23 PM
CRISP & CLEAN

Maybe try unpluging the antenna behind theNavi unit

Old 02-01-2013, 04:08 PM

I've already replaced the shark fin so that's ruled out...