Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Old 10-23-2009, 08:24 AM

Mein Auto: Jeep
Ccv diy??

Anyone ever changed the ccv on a 3.0L? Finally got my car into the shop. That was his diagnosis. I feel like I can probably do this one myself considering it was 480 with parts and labor.

Any tips or help would be appreciated.
Ads by Google
Old 10-23-2009, 08:41 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2006 330i / 2007 X3
its a pain in the butt
Old 10-23-2009, 08:46 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: e46 ZHP, e90 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmwoodall View Post
Anyone ever changed the ccv on a 3.0L? Finally got my car into the shop. That was his diagnosis. I feel like I can probably do this one myself considering it was 480 with parts and labor.

Any tips or help would be appreciated.
Get him to change all the hoses around it and yes, it is a pain - too little room to work on!
Old 10-23-2009, 08:46 AM
Aficionado

Mein Auto: '05 X3, '95 M3, '89 MkI
Go figure. I just did that on the 325 three weeks ago. It is not a terrible job but VERY time consuming, I think I did it in about 6 hours, taking a lot of breaks and taking it slow since it was my first time, and gets kinda frustraiting at times because of the tight space and all the parts you have to remove to get to that valve that as I say is in the deeps of the sea! You don't have to take the intake mani to do it.
Let me tell you, $480.00 with parts and labor is a REALLY good price, taking in account that the CVV kit (with all hoses) is about $200.00. The funny part is that it didn't solve my problem, wich was a whistleing noise, that NOW I discovered is the alternator pulley (after I got an stethoscope...). I considered that job as a part of my DIY training! lol. On the positive side, I found a CVV kit for sale on the classifields on bimmerforums, and the guy sold it to me for $60.00 shipped, so that was basically my cost.
But if you ask me, I would still do it my self to save 300 bucks. Here's the instructions I followed, they are for a 2.5 but all M54 motors are the same, the only difference I can think of is that you need to remove the strut bar on the X3, whick is held by 4 bolts IIRC.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=323335
Old 11-01-2009, 06:04 PM

I totally spaced out when ordering parts and realized a day or two ago that the parts listed in that writeup are not all (if any) transferable to the X3. Does anyone happen to have a parts list for this job on the X3.

I realized it when I pulled out the new intake boot and saw it was much smaller than ours is.

Is the CCV at least the same?
Old 11-01-2009, 08:16 PM
Aficionado

The actual CVV hoses and valve should be the same, just verify on realOEM.com. Regarding the intake boot, you don't have to change it unless is cracked.
Old 11-02-2009, 11:45 PM

after 8 hours, 2 unnecessary Autozone trips, and halfway redoing the whole job because the ICV electrical connector did not completely seat, the car is FINALLY running good. Thanks for all the help guys, especially x-3terrestial.
Old 11-03-2009, 07:26 AM
Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmwoodall View Post
after 8 hours, 2 unnecessary Autozone trips, and halfway redoing the whole job because the ICV electrical connector did not completely seat, the car is FINALLY running good. Thanks for all the help guys, especially x-3terrestial.
Good to see you got it running fine. Fun job isn't it? The two screws for the actual valve to the block were a biotch to me, they tight an noisy like they were gonna brake on me, then the shield that separates the DSC/brake bboster from the engine bay was hard to get back in, but again this was in a 3 series so not sure if the x3 is a little easier because of more room. What I jnow the engine tight spaces are the same and not fun!
Old 11-03-2009, 01:43 PM

That was a misreable job, I got everything off in 2.5 hours and was looking forward to bragging about my 4 hour total time, then it doubled (actually it was 7 hours as I have not changed my clocks yet in the house I was off an hour).

The same job on my Jeep = $7 and about 2.5 Minutes of time. This thing better last a loooong time