Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series

7 Series / 8 Series
The BMW 7 series and 8 Series Forum

Old 10-24-2009, 11:45 AM

Mein Auto: 740IL
Red face 98 740 iL Catalytic Converter

Apparently the drivers side CC is going out on my '98 740IL. The shop I use tells me the best price they can get the unit for is about $900 and the install will bring the bill to around $1600 (if memory serves me).

Thoughts on an aftermarket unit that could replace the original, cost of replacement, where to buy and what's involved with the changeover?
Advertisement
Old 10-25-2009, 06:21 AM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Mein Auto: rescued bmw's
i suggest checking out e38.org. here's one link i found via google, though.
http://www.bmwpartsweb.com/BMW-Parts...EC-E38740.aspx

also, e38.org has some info on going aftermarket with magnaflows. my experience has been that shops that specialize in exhaust can do a decent job of welding in an aftermarket unit for less than most standard repair shops.

i am not certain if you will be able to either find a direct oe style replacement for cheaper, or if there are shops in your area that will install one that you supply. (aside from some custom exhaust shops)

hope this helps.
df
Old 10-25-2009, 07:12 PM

Cc

It appears that there was a switch in the CC's in 1998. How do I tell which type I would use?
Old 10-27-2009, 01:11 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2001 740i
make sure you get anything else that isnt properly working fixed. like anything that might have caused it. they dont usually just go bad. could have been caused by excessive raw fuel being expelled into the exhaust. you could definately go with a universal type of converter if the price is a concern.

*Der E38*
manufactured: 7/01
color: anthrecite metallic
wheels: style 89 E66, 19X9F 19X10R
ext. lighting: 8000k D2S & LED plate light
*want to get sport rear diff*
Old 10-27-2009, 11:31 AM

Ccc

The car has 130k on it and the check engine light first showed the issue around 120k. I thought I had read that it's not uncommon to replace them around 120k. I am the 2nd owner and got it at 52k. The oil is changed every 5k and only private BMW shops have ever serviced the car. I guess what I'm saying is the maintenance and care has been top tier.

Is there any way via the VIN or other accessible number or code to tell which side of 98 I have so I can determine which direction to go? Not sure if I should replace the entire run or just have a shop weld in a new unit. Do I need to replace the O2 sensor or can it just plug into the replacement unit?
Old 10-27-2009, 03:17 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2001 740i
if your O2 sensors havent ever been replaced, they will likely soon need replacement. its up to you if you'd like to have them changed at the time your exhaust is being worked on. it would be recommended. i just hope my E38 doesnt need the converters replaced, mines an '01.

*Der E38*
manufactured: 7/01
color: anthrecite metallic
wheels: style 89 E66, 19X9F 19X10R
ext. lighting: 8000k D2S & LED plate light
*want to get sport rear diff*