Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 10-24-2009, 07:21 PM
530i, loving it!

Send a message via Yahoo to slackerou
Mein Auto: BMW 530i
Seat twist fix was easy on one side, but hit a snag on the other

Hello,
I seached the forums and did the seat twist reapair on the passenger seat using the fuel lien method (unbolt the seat, rest on it's back, cut away 1/2inch of the cable sheath and splice back with fuel hose). This worked great but now I need to do the drivers seat as well but the seat will not go back far enough to expose the front bolts. Any ideas?

03 530i
Orient Blue
Grey/Black Interior
Wheels - GT1 Hypersilver MRR Design (18x8.5,18x9.5)
Tires - Nexxen N3000 (245/40/18, 275/35/18)
Ads by Google
Old 10-25-2009, 08:20 AM
WTB - your E39 M5

Send a message via AIM to andyffer
Mein Auto: 02 530i, 09 335d
I think you had to make it go forward, unscrew/unhook something then slide it back or tilt it back and unscrew the other ones.
Did you read through the entire seat twist thread? The one with lots of pages

If you're not a ******* at twenty you have no heart, if you're not a ************ at forty you have no brain.
Old 10-25-2009, 12:36 PM
530i, loving it!

Found the trick to getting to the front bolts on the driver seat

I found this trick on www.bmwtips.com that will actually allow me to get to the front bolts for the drivers seat. Yes! no I can continue on with my seat twist repair!!

To gain a few extra inches of drivers seat legroom, do the following:

1. move the drivers seat all the way forward
2. from the back seat, locate the clip attached to the right side drivers seat rail (see pic).
3. lift the clip up using a screw driver or pliers.

The clip is flexible metal and can be removed and replaced without harm.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	seatclip.jpg
Views:	493
Size:	10.4 KB
ID:	205842  

03 530i
Orient Blue
Grey/Black Interior
Old 10-27-2009, 11:20 AM

Mein Auto: 530i 2003
seat bolts are stuck

Trying to do twist fix too but can't budge the seat bolts. Any tips?
Old 10-27-2009, 06:29 PM
530i, loving it!

use a ratchet handle and apply firm pressure slowly. As long as you have the right star socket it should budge.

03 530i
Orient Blue
Grey/Black Interior
Old 10-27-2009, 09:06 PM
Ivan

Send a message via MSN to jieg
Mein Auto: 525i 2003
before removing the motors or messing with the cables, remember to put the backrest in an even position (untwisted).

If you fix the problem with the seat twisted, once both sides move again, the will remain twisted

make sure you work on the right motor, otherwise you will mess with the cables of the seat (ass rest) and get it twisted once the job is supposedly finished
Old 11-02-2009, 05:38 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 528i MSport
Both of my front seats had the twist problem. I fixed the driver side fairly quickly using the fuel hose procedure. It now works well. But I ran out of hose clips on the passenger side so I will need to finish that seat later.

Here are some of my observations. I don't see how it would be possible to do the work by just leaning the seat back and letting it rest on the back seat. For me to be able to get a good look at the underside, locate the correct cable to cut, and then be in a position to cut the cable and install the fuel hose and tighten the hose clips, I had to also unclip the seat belt tensioner and then position the seat on its side with the underside facing outside the open front door. I found that I had to tighten the hose clips very tightly or else the cable would slip.

Also, be careful when re-installing the seat belt tensioner. One of mine fell down the open bolt hole in the floor board. I could not get it out so I'll have to buy another one.

On the driver's seat there is a plastic housing that covers each of the front bolts. They are secured by an Allen head screw (not sure what size). I used an L wrench to remove them. Once the plastic housing is removed the Torx-50 bolts are then exposed. The one on the right (interior) side was very hard to replace because the quarters are so cramped.
Old 01-12-2010, 05:23 PM

Mein Auto: '02 BMW 530i
Cool Thanks!

I used all of the advice on this forum and fixed my seat twist. For that I thank all of you for your great advice.

But after getting everything back together, the airbag light stays on. I didn't see anything in my search were that was a problem. Can anyone give me an idea on how to remedy this problem?

Also, does anyone have a picture of how the clip under the seat for the seat belt tensioner is supposed to be hooked up. I think I got it correct, but when taking the seat out it fell off so I don't know how it looked before.

Thanks again everyone!
Old 01-12-2010, 08:13 PM
Freude am Fahren

Mein Auto: 2003 540i/6 //m-tech
You triggered the airbag light by turning on the key while you had the plug pulled for the seat. To reset, I think you are going to take it to a dealer or an indie who has the equipment to reset it. I don't think a battery disconnect is going to solve this one.
Old 08-30-2010, 05:06 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 1966 Vette 2008 X5 4.8L
I did the Seat twist fix on my 2002 530i recently. I cut the cable housing where it plugs into the electic motors. Worked well and my seats are fixed.

Two things I wish I had read before this fix.

1. Do not turn on the key once you unplug the seat. I now have the dreaded airbag light and no tool to reset it.
2. The front seat belts are very easy to disconnect from the seat. The bolts are in the rear of the seat, just slide the seat forward and unbolt them. Very easy if you know where they are located.
Since I failed to read this I was dumb enough to take apart the door pilar trying to disconnect the belt from the top. Too much work and hard to install correctly. Just take out the rear bolts from the floor board.
Old 08-30-2010, 08:30 PM

Mein Auto: 02' 540i
Not to be lazy..ok I'm being lazy. Could some please post the seat twist DIY here...i'd like one with pics...rookie at your service... I want to get this done this weekend...big date coming, Don't want her to be leaning in the 02 540i

Sent from my MB200 using BimmerApp
Old 08-30-2010, 09:42 PM
Freude am Fahren

Mein Auto: 2003 540i/6 //m-tech
Quote:
Originally Posted by hylyfe View Post
Not to be lazy..ok I'm being lazy. Could some please post the seat twist DIY here...i'd like one with pics...rookie at your service... I want to get this done this weekend...big date coming, Don't want her to be leaning in the 02 540i

Sent from my MB200 using BimmerApp
Click on "search" then type "seat twist". If you are too lazy to do that, you are too lazy to fix your car.
Old 08-30-2010, 09:47 PM
Seek to understand,^Value

Mein Auto: 02 BMW 525i M54 automatic
Quote:
Originally Posted by hylyfe View Post
I'm being lazy. Could some please post the seat twist DIY here
Go to the bestlinks thread. Control-F and type "seat twist". Hit F3 to find all the recommended seat-twist threads.

Clicking rocking and shifting of the front seats and seat twist DIY (replacing fuse 107) & seat twist repair threads (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6)
Old 09-21-2010, 09:10 AM

Mein Auto: 1997 328ic
tagged