Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Old 10-25-2009, 05:32 PM

Mein Auto: 335i
Question Vibration during hard acceleration.

We experience vibration in the steering column during hard acceleration, typically in the 40 to 50 mph range. Had a dealer check it out, and as usual they did not come up with anything, saying the vehicle is just fine. However, there is a pronounced vibration which is repeatable every single time, that was not there before.

I had two questions. Can this be caused by a rim, or would that be noticable all the time, not just during hard acceleration. Would this be caused by some other obvious component. I had the dealer check the motor mounts, and he indicated that they are ok. Thanks.
Advertisement
Old 10-25-2009, 07:40 PM
Tar Heel Faithful

Send a message via AIM to AzNMpower32
Mein Auto: 2014 Mazda3 GT
That's definitely not normal, and unlikely a wheel balance or rim issue because it only occurs under full throttle (right?). Is the vehicle under warranty?
Old 10-26-2009, 07:41 AM
Aficionado

Mein Auto: '05 X3, '95 M3, '89 MkI
What year and mileage? If dealer can't find anything, take it to an independent shop for a second opinion.
Old 10-26-2009, 09:00 AM

The vehicle is under warranty, and it is only noticable under full throttle. The year is 07 and the mileage is 20K. I just find it frustrating that the dealer is not able to come up with anything when there is an obvious problem. I will probably take it to an independent shop. Or shoud I try another dealer?
Old 10-26-2009, 09:13 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '06 X3
mar, take it to another dealer and ask them to fix the problem. You may have to take the SA for a test drive to duplicate the vibration. My bet would be a driveline harmonic problem (the GX470 had one of these that caused a very similar condition to the one you discribe). I also suggest another dealer because once a "there is nothing wrong" decision has been pronounced there is a tendancy to not change because it makes them look incompetent (!!!). Who knows, you might even like the new dealer's shop better. Let us know what you find out. Good luck!
Old 10-26-2009, 09:23 AM

The funny thing about the dealer is that this vibration has been a problem for about six months, and in the last week we had the car rustproofed, and they blamed the rustproofing for the problem! They said that is was probably the source of the problem if there in fact was one. Even after I told them that the rustproofing is only a week old and the problem is six months old, they still reiterated the same line! I figure they either: A) Don't actually listen to the customer B) Don't care what the customer has to say C) Don't really care as long as they send you off on your way, or D) A combination of the prior. Either way, I find customer service to be a -5 on a scale of 0 to 10. Perhaps another dealer will be a bit better.