Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 10-25-2009, 07:29 PM
Not a real doctor.

Mein Auto: 2009 328i Coupe
Hood Pad Installation with Pictures

Thanks to a good thread (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=393092) and encouraging information there, I decided to get a hood pad.BMW lists the thing as an insulation pad. 'Haven't driven it yet to see if things sound different. I rather doubt they will. I do think the pad will keep the hood cooler. I've noticed how quickly water steams off the hood after a drive.

I was able to buy the pad directly from my dealer at the same cost that Tischer would have charged, but of course without the shipping.

The pad feels like a strange sort of sandwich: two stiff pressed fibrous layers sandwiching different regions of soft foam. It's about 4.5' by 2.5'. (The yard stick shown is, oddly, a yard.)

You'll also need six plastic rivets, but I'd order eight, just in case.

When you look under your hood, there are some pre-existing slots (red arrows) into which tabs on the hood pad will slip. Closer to the windshield, there's a long slot (red line) into which the back of the pad slips. There are also six holes, roughly 1/4" in diameter (green arrows) in the ribs under the hood into which will go the rivets.

You install the pad by simply fitting the tabs into the slots. When that's all set, you press the rivets into the holes being careful to push them in by their flanges, not the push pin style head.

Only when everything is right, should you push the heads home thus locking the rivets.

So what can go wrong? Well, if you look at the previous picture, or the next one, you'll see that I installed the pad with the rib troughs facing me. That's a mistake. Those troughs are molded into the pad, of course, to fit around the ribs and allow the pad to fit flat up against the hood. I had unfortunately pushed home all the rivets before realizing this and slapping myself on the forehead with a sharp, Homer Simpson "doh!"

If you have a pair of diagonal cutters or one of those shown in the next picture (as I was lucky enough to have handy), you can grasp the inner part of the rivet and pull it out and then remove the rivet body.

However, great care must be taken! If you squeeze the pliers, you'll cut the inner part of the rivet. You'll then have to drive the pin out the backside and pull out the flange. Fortunately, I didn't do that. What I did do though, is drop a rivet into the engine where I heard it rattle down to the pan below. With a stick and a loop of duct tape, I was able to retrieve it. But I got extremely lucky. That's why, for something like 50 cents each, I recommend you get a couple of extra rivets.

When it's all done, it the hood pad fits something like this.

If you're careful not to install the thing upside down, not to lose little plastic rivets, and are not taking pictures, you can probably do the whole installation in five minutes or so. You could probably even do it in the dealer's parking lot.

For less than $80, it's an easy mod that just might make a difference to the longevity of your paint.

'09 328i Coupe: MT, Monaco Blue, Black Dakota, Dark Burl, ZPP, ZSP, ZCW, CA, Logic7, HD Radio, IPod
Ordered: 14Jan09; Delivered: 24Feb09 from Stratham, NH BMW

Last edited by ProfessorCook; 10-26-2009 at 04:06 AM.
Advertisement
Old 10-25-2009, 08:58 PM
Tastes like chicken

Mein Auto: '09 328i E93 SGM/CR
Nice DIY write-up!
Old 10-25-2009, 11:39 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2010 335i E90 M-Sport
Good explanations and nice pictures. I like your DIY posts.

One question: How big is the package? Could I take it with me in an airplane as checked-in luggage?

I am going for Performance Center Delivery and was wondering if I could take the hood pad with me in the plane to install it when I pick up the car.

Thanks!
Old 10-26-2009, 03:46 AM
Hang up and drive.

Mein Auto: 2009 328i (E90)
Oh, great...mine's upside down.

Guess I've gotta find some of those cutting pliers and order some more rivets from Tischer.
Old 10-26-2009, 04:05 AM
Not a real doctor.

fernande,

I don't think there's any way in hell you could get that thing through as checked in luggage without folding it. Twice. I wouldn't worry about it though. Most of our cars will never have this pad at all, right? The drive home without it shouldn't hurt anything. If you really want to get radical, order it from Tischer and have it delivered to your hotel in South Carolina. If you let the hotel know ahead of time, there should be no problem.

Kent, buddy. I feel your pain. That's how I felt when I thought I was all done. With patience, you can probably save the old plastic rivets. I was able to. If your car is cold, I'd throw a blanket over the engine compartment first though so that when you drop a rivet (or worse, a tool), you can find it.

Thanks for the compliments folks.

'09 328i Coupe: MT, Monaco Blue, Black Dakota, Dark Burl, ZPP, ZSP, ZCW, CA, Logic7, HD Radio, IPod
Old 10-26-2009, 04:57 AM

Mein Auto: Nothing
Professor............I put mine in backwards the first time as well!!! My hood still gets hot, but maybe not AS hot.
Old 10-26-2009, 06:57 AM
Not a real doctor.

Doh!

BTW, folks, the part number?

51 48 7 059 260
"Sound Insulating Engine Hood" was written on one of the labels

http://www.trademotion.com/partlocat...&siteid=214672

Don't know what the part number is on the little plastic rivets.

Old 10-26-2009, 07:51 AM

Mein Auto: 1999 M3 Coupe & 2009 335d
Quote:
Originally Posted by professorcook View Post
doh!

Don't know what the part number is on the little plastic rivets.
51 48 1 915 964
Old 10-26-2009, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessorCook View Post
I don't think there's any way in hell you could get that thing through as checked in luggage without folding it. Twice. I wouldn't worry about it though. Most of our cars will never have this pad at all, right? The drive home without it shouldn't hurt anything. If you really want to get radical, order it from Tischer and have it delivered to your hotel in South Carolina. If you let the hotel know ahead of time, there should be no problem.
Yeah, I know. I was not worried about the car being damaged or anything. Just me being obsessive.

I thought about the direct delivery to the hotel. However, I don't know where I am staying or when. The timing will be tight once I find out that information.
Old 10-26-2009, 09:40 AM
Non compos Mentos

Mein Auto: 335i E92 TiAg 6MT ED
How many Professors does it take to install a hood pad?...
Those who can, are mechanics. Those who can't, teach.
Prof, would you believe they actually make a special tool for lifting the centers of plastic rivets while pulling the flange? One of those little gadgets we all buy after we think we have everything else.
Old 10-26-2009, 09:44 AM

Mein Auto: 325
BMW no longer put the hood pad in newer cars? my e90 325i has it already.
Old 10-26-2009, 09:48 AM

Mein Auto: 335i Coupe
What is the purpose of a hood pad?
Old 10-26-2009, 09:50 AM

Nobody knows for sure what this hood pad is for. Some people think is for sound insulation. Other people think it is for temperature insulation. Some people think that it will protect the paint of the hood. Other people think it is completely useless. So, basically nobody knows.

Go to the referred link for details.

Last edited by fernande-bmw; 10-26-2009 at 11:30 AM. Reason: To minimize hurting people's feelings
Old 10-26-2009, 09:50 AM
Not a real doctor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSXMachina View Post
How many Professors does it take to install a hood pad?...
Those who can, are mechanics. Those who can't, teach.
Prof, would you believe they actually make a special tool for lifting the centers of plastic rivets while pulling the flange? One of those little gadgets we all buy after we think we have everything else.
Pictures, or they don't exist.

Careful what you post there, DSX, 'cuz you've done some teaching of your own 'round here. You might end up insulting yourself!

Old 10-26-2009, 09:52 AM
Not a real doctor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fernande-bmw View Post
Oh, please. Let's not start that discussion again. Go to the referred link for details.
Hell, fernande, if we never rehashed stuff, this forum would die.

Winter tires?
Is this a good deal?
HPFP?
Logic7?

Lol... it's par for the course. And let's face it, we were all newbies once. This is our chance to give back, no?

Old 10-26-2009, 09:56 AM
Become the Bull

Mein Auto: 2009 335i Coupe
Quote:
... let's face it, we were all newbies once. This is our chance to give back, no?
That's why the prof's the man

2009 335i Coupe - Delivered 7/23/2009
Old 10-26-2009, 10:08 AM

Mein Auto: 335i Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by fernande-bmw View Post
Oh, please. Let's not start that discussion again. Go to the referred link for details.
The time it took you to be a smart *ss, and write your useless comment, you could have told me. I forgot some of your type linger out there!!
Old 10-26-2009, 10:11 AM

Wow Professor, you're a real DIY-er

2009 335i Coupe, Titanium Silver Metallic, Coral Red Dakota Leather, Gray Poplar trim, Premium package and Sports package with 19s.

Previously Owned: 2006 Audi A4 S-Line Quattro with all the belles and whistles and a B5 Imola Yellow Audi S4
Old 10-26-2009, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhhiep View Post
BMW no longer put the hood pad in newer cars? my e90 325i has it already.
That's correct, E9xs don't have it...

2009 335i Coupe, Titanium Silver Metallic, Coral Red Dakota Leather, Gray Poplar trim, Premium package and Sports package with 19s.

Previously Owned: 2006 Audi A4 S-Line Quattro with all the belles and whistles and a B5 Imola Yellow Audi S4
Old 10-26-2009, 10:32 AM
Omnia moderata ratione

Mein Auto: Certified Garage Princess
Great writeup, Professor. Looks like something else I'm going to have to add to my letter to Santa.

Euro Modded|Split Armrest|Rear Foglight Mod|BMW Performance Exhaust|CDV Delete|Shark Fin Antenna Delete|Front Reflector Delete|LUX H8 Angel Eyes|328i|3 Pedals|Das Fahren im Freien| BMWCCA#445793
Old 10-26-2009, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Hell, fernande, if we never rehashed stuff, this forum would die.
I agree that some topics require rehashing every once in a while. However, this topic was discussed very recently and I just pointed to the link.

Quote:
And let's face it, we were all newbies once. This is our chance to give back, no?
I am all for sharing back personal experiences and help new owners and members. However, it is a waste of time when threads go off topic and evolve into multi-page discussions that have nothing to do with the original topic.

My bad for trying to keep this thread on topic "Hood Pad Installation with Pictures" and not make it a "What is the Hood Pad for and why did it get removed from recent models?".

Anyway, this is your thread. So, make it whatever you want.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christos View Post
The time it took you to be a smart *ss, and write your useless comment, you could have told me. I forgot some of your type linger out there!!
Wow. Grumpy much today? Thanks for wasting your time and mine in providing no useful additional information to this thread. I, at least, pointed you to a place where the answer to your question would be provided.

I did not write a direct answer to your question simply because I don't have an answer. If you bother to read the thread I pointed you to, you will find out that there is no consensus. Rather than give you my personal biased opinion, I thought it would be better if you made your own based on the feedback.

However, if you are so lazy that you need to be spoon fed the answers to your questions, then here is it.

Nobody knows for sure what this hood pad is for. Some people think is for sound insulation. Other people think it is for temperature insulation. Some people think that it will protect the paint of the hood. Other people think it is completely useless. So, basically nobody knows.

Last edited by fernande-bmw; 10-26-2009 at 11:35 AM.
Old 10-26-2009, 11:35 AM
Not a real doctor.

I intended no quip, Fernande. You are right, of course, that the other thread covered this better. You are also right that the other thread is fresh enough to be referred to.

I'm just clumsily trying to keep things friendly 'round here. And I do remember when I first happened across this forum and stumbled as I tried to get my footing.

That last paragraph of yours is right to the point, btw.

Old 10-26-2009, 11:38 AM

And yes. I will install it as soon as I get my car because it used to be there and there aren't any reports that say that this hood pad is bad for the car. (The same way that there are no reports saying that the pad is good either.)

But for ~$70, it is not a big expense.
Old 10-26-2009, 11:53 AM
Chicks dig Wagons!

Mein Auto: E91
Quote:
I intended no quip, Fernande. You are right, of course, that the other thread covered this better. You are also right that the other thread is fresh enough to be referred to.

I'm just clumsily trying to keep things friendly 'round here. And I do remember when I first happened across this forum and stumbled as I tried to get my footing.

That last paragraph of yours is right to the point, btw.

I thought this particular thread was the most useful on the topic of installing the damn pad that I've seen to date. If it weren't for you, I'd probably install the bad with the indentations facing in the wrong direction.

Thanks for taking the time to help out your fellow BMW'ers.
Old 10-26-2009, 12:11 PM
Not a real doctor.

Thanks, Kilgore.

BTW, it's true about chicks digging wagons....