Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)

X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)
The X5 SAV Forum

Old 01-22-2012, 01:39 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2007 X5 4.8i
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmorgan_260 View Post
I think Hans and BMW dealership make a living fixing broken transmissions. They might not be the best source for advice on this subject.

I have heard the BS about how changing the fluid can cause problems but I don't believe it. I have owned over a dozen cars and the ones that I neglected to change the ATF in caused me problems. The ones that I changed the fluid/filter every 40K miles went for years without a problem. It just makes sense. Of course you have to use the correct type and amount of fluid or you can cause problems.

Good luck.
That's exactly what it is. I changed the transmission fluid in my 2001 X5 at 108K miles. I had zero issues with the transmission when I traded it in at 126K miles last October. That's 18K miles over 18 months without a problem.
Old 01-22-2012, 01:40 PM

Mein Auto: 650 ic
Thank you
Old 01-22-2012, 03:05 PM

Mein Auto: '08 328 E93 '12 X3 28i
I've done an awful lot of reading on this subject over the years and have also come away without a definitive answer. Seems to be a 50/50 split of opinions.

However, knowing that new fluid has a detergent effect, it makes too much sense (to me) to avoid doing a complete change on a high mileage vehicle. I'm afraid of a piece of gunk breaking off and creating problems by lodging in a valve orifice. An AT is just too sensitive to that.
But, I'm old school. I'd much rather do the changes every 60K or go with partial changes at higher mileages. Is it overkill? Perhaps. But I tend to keep my vehicles a long time and it helps me sleep a little better.
Old 04-14-2012, 04:13 PM

Mein Auto: BMW X 5 4.4i
BMW barely can't stated that the engine oil is also life time fluid. Everyone knows what is the color of the engine Oil in the bottle at fill up,
And so what is the color of the same Oil at Oil change??? (Same for the Transmission, while everyone knows exactly the color of the ATF.
which is a (LIGHT RED SYRUP). And what is the color of it when it comes out of the transmission pan??? (Same as motor oil).
I hate when people keeps saying that: The New ATF Oil will shock or cause problem in the future; this is a dozen pieces of metals running all alone.
Nearly the same like the engine components running all together with Oil spilled all around them. So if you think twice to change your engine Oil,
Why not thinking as twice to change your Old transmission fluid?
While some people still talking (CRAP) about NOT to change the Transmission fluid, this going to be my 2nd. time fluid change on my (01 X5 4.4i)which is now:122,126miles.
And the 1st one was done at: 75,000miles ago. Every since, I haven't notice anything except more power.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	gadon coco (884).jpg
Views:	64
Size:	140.5 KB
ID:	320944  
Old 04-14-2012, 05:53 PM

Mein Auto: E53 X5, E86 Z4MC
The synthetic transmission fluid used on the X5 or any BMWs is NOT the light red syrup concoction. If it is, then you are using the wrong ATF. The ATF used on the X5 is straw in color (similar to the color of engine oil).
Old 04-23-2012, 03:36 PM
We want the Lion!

Mein Auto: 03 ZHP, 01 X5, 73 MGB
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkl View Post
The synthetic transmission fluid used on the X5 or any BMWs is NOT the light red syrup concoction. If it is, then you are using the wrong ATF. The ATF used on the X5 is straw in color (similar to the color of engine oil).
+1. The original fill Texaco 8072B fluid is brownish straight out of the bottle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast Bob View Post
JUST...LOOK...UNDER...THE...CAR....for Chrissakes....it`s like checking to see if a dog is male or female....
Quote:
Originally Posted by smolck View Post
A bimmer with forced induction should have a proper manual gearbox. Anything less is like french kissing your sister.
Old 04-24-2012, 05:11 PM
Propellers Up Front

Mein Auto: Some Bavarian car outside
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkl View Post
I concur. I had the ruby red color in mine and I changed it twice since I had a transmission repair at 102,000 miles. I was putting (the correct fluid) in there when I changed it as the (wrong fluid) was pouring out. Here at 170,000 Miles my baby is now in the shop with a slipping tranny caused by an apparent ring that came loose and caused damage. The clutches are worn which leads me to believe the fluid wasn't doing a great job. $2900 later it will be out at the end of the week when parts come from california. Breaking My Wallet yet again. I still love this thing though. Just did an engine clean up, getting this tranny fixed now then ill update the rear suspension to conventional springs. Should be rocking like new. Here's to 270,000 miles.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1810.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	125.1 KB
ID:	322319   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1811.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	164.6 KB
ID:	322320   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1812.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	157.3 KB
ID:	322321  
Old 04-25-2012, 06:24 AM

Mein Auto: E60, E71, E92
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysweetx5 View Post
BMW barely can't stated that the engine oil is also life time fluid. Everyone knows what is the color of the engine Oil in the bottle at fill up,
And so what is the color of the same Oil at Oil change??? (Same for the Transmission, while everyone knows exactly the color of the ATF.
which is a (LIGHT RED SYRUP). And what is the color of it when it comes out of the transmission pan??? (Same as motor oil).
I hate when people keeps saying that: The New ATF Oil will shock or cause problem in the future; this is a dozen pieces of metals running all alone.
Nearly the same like the engine components running all together with Oil spilled all around them. So if you think twice to change your engine Oil,
Why not thinking as twice to change your Old transmission fluid?
While some people still talking (CRAP) about NOT to change the Transmission fluid, this going to be my 2nd. time fluid change on my (01 X5 4.4i)which is now:122,126miles.
And the 1st one was done at: 75,000miles ago. Every since, I haven't notice anything except more power.
And you are on your original trans and transfer case?
OK, I guess there is hope for some of us owner of E53, I flushed my trans twice now and hitting 80k miles on original trans + xfer case.

BTW, as far as flush if you are @100K on original fluid the concensus seems to be leave it alone, you may make it to 150K w/o flush. but if you are @50K do it right (correct tools, parts and procedure); you'll be fine.

BTW, on X5 if you have 3.0 engine it's GM made and 4.4/4.6 uses ZF, different fluids; so make sure before you flush which trans you have.

Last edited by HPIA4v2; 04-25-2012 at 06:27 AM.
Old 04-25-2012, 07:59 AM
Propellers Up Front

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPIA4v2 View Post
BTW, on X5 if you have 3.0 engine it's GM made and 4.4/4.6 uses ZF, different fluids; so make sure before you flush which trans you have.
Do you happen to know what type fluid is used in the ZF? I really want this thing to go another 100k. I vow to keep up with the fluid changes as I've done before, but my tech said its probably the fluid getting too hot. So based on this thread It seems to have had the wrong fluid installed the last time the tranny was rebuilt. I have an extra bottle at home. I'll post a pic of it when I get home later to see if it's the right one.
Old 04-25-2012, 08:56 AM

Mein Auto: X5 4.6is, M5
HPIA4v2,
I have a 4.6is 02 with 137k on original fluids. But I have noticed that when coming to a stop..there is a thump (like you have been rear ended) from 2-1, and also have noticed power loss when overtaking. Any ideas??? there are no SEL warning.

Does anybody no of a trusted shop where I can take it to get it evaluated in the Chicagoland area?

thanks
Old 04-25-2012, 10:32 AM

Mein Auto: E60, E71, E92
Quote:
Originally Posted by badboyt View Post
HPIA4v2,
I have a 4.6is 02 with 137k on original fluids. But I have noticed that when coming to a stop..there is a thump (like you have been rear ended) from 2-1, and also have noticed power loss when overtaking. Any ideas??? there are no SEL warning.

Does anybody no of a trusted shop where I can take it to get it evaluated in the Chicagoland area?

thanks
The 5HP24 on 2000-2003 4.4/4.6 V8 are ZF-lifeguard5. Green label on the trans pan.
http://www.thectsc.com/index.php?p=p...d=14&parent=57

As far as rough shift from 2-1 on stop, that is the telltale sign of torque-convertor problem. I heard from ZF master tech that if you replace the TC now you can save the trans, if something break in TC it'll send sharpnel of metal and the trans need to be rebuilt as well. I'll say look for a good shop specializing in ZF trans, don't go to dealer for TC only replacement. GL.
Old 04-25-2012, 10:47 AM

Mein Auto: X5 4.6is, M5
Thanks HPIA.., I will search for a reputable shop b4 I do anything. what is a SE code 048 or 042? do you know?
Old 04-25-2012, 02:03 PM
Propellers Up Front

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPIA4v2 View Post
The 5HP24 on 2000-2003 4.4/4.6 V8 are ZF-lifeguard5. Green label on the trans pan.
http://www.thectsc.com/index.php?p=p...d=14&parent=57
Thanks a lot HPIA, never seen this fluid before. Looks promising. Ill be sure to give them this to put in there.
Old 09-11-2013, 03:26 PM

Mein Auto: x5
hi guys, been reading up a lot about different fluids for our cars.
do you guys recommend Mobil dexron VI atf for our GM trannys? or should i go a little higher in grade/brand
(04 x5 3.0i)

thanks!
Old 09-12-2013, 11:03 AM

Mein Auto: x5
anyone?
Old 09-18-2013, 08:26 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 750i | 2010 X5
I sold my 2001 X5 with 202,000 miles on it. I had zero issues with the transmission and never had the fluid replaced...
'10 E70 X5 xdrive30i sport | rear shades | rear climate | iPod/USB | Sat Radio | DVD in Motion activated
'03 E53 X5 3.0 | Premium | Rear Climate | Xenons | Privacy Glass
Old 09-19-2013, 09:48 AM
Resident Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimwad View Post
I sold my 2001 X5 with 202,000 miles on it. I had zero issues with the transmission and never had the fluid replaced...
My grandfather smoked a pack a day for 60 years and died at 75 when he was hit by a bus. Smoking clearly has no ill health effects.
Old 09-20-2013, 07:31 AM

Mein Auto: 1997 740iL / 2006 X5 4.4
Quote:
Originally Posted by s14DK View Post
hi guys, been reading up a lot about different fluids for our cars.
do you guys recommend Mobil dexron VI atf for our GM trannys? or should i go a little higher in grade/brand
(04 x5 3.0i)

thanks!
Dexron VI is usually associated with the ZF trannys...transmission pans that have the black label on them.

Click this link for more info...and take note of the info and links that steer you toward data/info about recommendations for the tranny mfg you have (green label or black label): http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...74&postcount=2
Q {BMW CCA Member #191509}
2006 E53 X5 4.4i (Sterling Gray) 12/05 mfg date <<~>> 97 740iL (Arctic Silver) 3/97 mfg date
(SOLD)
99 540iT (Orient Blue) <<~>> 95 525IT (Alpine White)
91 735iL (Schwarz Black) <<~>> 85 325e (Bronzit)

http://imageshack.com/scaled/grid240/822/e38e532ndsigpic.jpg

Last edited by QSilver7; 09-20-2013 at 07:34 AM.
Old 01-08-2014, 10:51 AM
Big Bobby

Mein Auto: 2001 750 IL
Red face BMW service intervals

I had a similar issue. I bought a 2001 750 IL it had about 110K miles. I had it in for a pre purchase inspection. I was told the car had a good history and was in good shape. I have a habit of changing all the fluids in a car when first purchased just for the piece of mind of knowing everything has been serviced. I asked the BMW inspection shop about servicing the transmission and was told the same thing, "it's a sealed unit and the transmission does not need servicing". "Lifetime fluid". I said " are you sure" as I hadn't heard that one before.

Over the next year I had the car in and out a few times for some front end work that was needed and was identified in the pre purchase inspection. I continued to ask about the transmission servicing, I just didn't feel comfortable not servicing the transmission especially with the temps involved with Las Vegas summer driving.

Sure enough the transmission failed at 120K miles. it was $5,500 to replace with a rebuilt ZF tranny. I had asked a AAMCO guy the price and he said $3,500. I asked him about the fluid servicing interval and he said "that reply from BMW service is a scam. There is no transmission made that never needs servicing. Every transmission should be serviced at max 60-80K miles if you want it to last, especially in the super hot Las Vegas driving conditions. replace the filter and clean the pan and (as mentioned in a earlier post about) 30-50% of the fluid".

Point blank I was told by a few people afterward "every transmission needs servicing at some point or it is going to fail prematurely".

I feel duped and mislead! It this what BMW tells the to tell the customers???
Old 01-08-2014, 12:41 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Bobby View Post
I feel duped and mislead! It this what BMW tells the to tell the customers???
Well, you were duped and misled.

But recognize that YOU are NOT "BMWs Customer".

Only the original buyer is their customer. Subsequent owners in the used car market arent their customers...you may think you are, but they dont think you are.

Dont use BMW dealers for service- they arent really the best place to get accurate advice once you are out of warranty.

Finally, there are still plenty of folks that believe no BMW transmission every failed due to fluid failure.... just like there are tobacco companies that dont think their cigarettes caused any one persons lung cancer.

Edit: and just like lung cancer, it will be impossible to say that had you changed your fluid at 50k miles, you would have avoided that failure... but like people who dont smoke I **believe** that as a group, owners that change ATF will get longer service life. A belief

Last edited by ard; 01-08-2014 at 12:43 PM.
Old 01-08-2014, 05:20 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 M3 convertible
I had my 05 X5 tranny fluid changed recently at my Indy place @120,000 a month ago as a PM. No problems, it's running fine but my tranny was shifting smoothly before the flush. Don't have experience in non smooth tranny flush change.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 01-10-2014, 02:05 PM

Mein Auto: X5
My transmission just went **** up due to a failed torque converter. Is now in the garage at the cost of 2600. I have been told by BMW and landrover techs that my GM transmission would have lasted at least 200k if I had changed the fluid on my auto box every 30-50k now at 107k I'm paying for it. My advice is ensure you keep this area healthy or have a slush fund when it does happen.
Old 01-11-2014, 12:54 PM
We want the Lion!

Mein Auto: 03 ZHP, 01 X5, 73 MGB
Just for the record... I see some people using the term "flush". To me, "flushing" is too generic a term for servicing an auto transmission. I'm not a fan of "flushing" using some Quicki-lube machine that replaces fluid while the engine is running, in order to remove fluid from the trans cooler and the torque converter. These things (IMO) stir up latent crud in the bottom of the pan and that leads to problems.

Regular fluid changes, along with filter replacement and a new bottom gasket are a good idea. NEVER use any additional sealant on the bottom pan flange/gasket; I can almost guarantee you will have a leak if you use some sort of sealer. Perhaps most importantly, when the pan is removed to replace the filter, follow these precautions:

- clean the OUTSIDE of the pan thoroughly before you even pickup a socket to remove it. You want to minimize the possibility of introducing dirt.
- always loosen the FILL plug, BEFORE removing the drain plug. You don't want to drain it, only to find you can't get the FILL plug removed.
- remove the pan and clean the inside. It will contain a dense residue/fine sludge, especially around the magnets. You will have to wipe this down to get it really clean. Clean the magnets.
- then clean it again; sterile is your goal. I use a spray can of thinner. Blow it dry with compressed air (or a blow dryer) and inspect if for any lint. Flip the pan upside down and put it somewhere clean until you need it.
- remove the old filter; old fluid will drip from the valve body. Resist the urge to wipe it off. Let it drip. Don't use anything (shop rag, paper towel, etc) to wipe the valve body. You WILL introduce lint. Resist the urge to wipe it down.
- inspect the old filter, be absolutely certain the OLD filter sealing ring isn't stuck inside the valve body. Often times it breaks off and stays put when the filter is pulled down. Make certain it gets removed.
- inspect the new filter and keep it in the bag until you need it. Push it into position, and ensure it's seated properly. Fit the gasket and install the pan. Do NOT overtighten the bolts.

If you're lucky, you might get 50-60% of the fluid out when you service it this way. The remainder is stuck in the cooler, the cooler lines, and the torque converter. Don't worry about it, you'll replace some of it next time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast Bob View Post
JUST...LOOK...UNDER...THE...CAR....for Chrissakes....it`s like checking to see if a dog is male or female....
Quote:
Originally Posted by smolck View Post
A bimmer with forced induction should have a proper manual gearbox. Anything less is like french kissing your sister.
Old 01-23-2014, 09:24 PM

Send a message via AIM to Mike Gardner
Mein Auto: '01 X5 3.0 '00 323CI 540i
I have 204,000 miles on my 2001 X5 and have changed the fluid and filter 3 times. I use the recommended fluid that you can get at O'Reilly's for about $16 per liter. I don't do a full flush because they say a full flush can send the tranny into shock. When draining and dopping the pan and refilling it usually takes around 5-6 liters (depending on how much drained out).

Changed and drained fluid and filter about 2 months ago. Whenever you do a change the system runs a little different for a week or so while the system relearns the shifting patterns (it seems to sense the change and relearns how you drive).

My X5 runs great and I plan to continue changing the fluid and filter every 40k or so. Just check out one of the links on how to do it. Not hard to do but it is easier with access to lift.

Good luck.