Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Old 03-10-2014, 06:35 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 BMW X3 MSport
Exclamation P0031, P0051, P0037, P0057 Errors

Hi All,

I was wondering if someone could help me with my issues that i have been having..

I currently have a 2007 BMW X3 3.0si and absolutely love the car. It has around 130K.

My check engine light came on so I went a borrowed my friends Autel Maxiscan. I had five error codes when I went to retrieve them. The first one I fixed which was a misfire in cylinder 1. Easy fix, I just replaced the ignition coil.

The next ones have me a little stumped.

P0031 - H02S Heater control circuit low Bank 1 Sensor 1
P0051 - H02S Heater control circuit low Bank 2 Sensor 1
P0037 - H02S Heater control circuit low Bank 1 Sensor 2
P0057 - H02S Heater control circuit low Bank 2 Sensor 2

So these are all related to the O2 senors, I never realized it but there are 4 O2 sensors. I also found that it was odd that all four sensors could have failed at the same-time.

So I did some research and found that in the O2 they pre-heat the sensors I believe to get them up to operating tempatures quickly. I think heaters are powered from a fuse in the front engine compartment F4 30A.

I went and checked and found that the fuse was blown so I replaced it with a new one. I then turned on the ignition to the 3rd pos and I could hear a relay click and POP went the fuse.

I then went ahead and disconnected all the O2 sensors and tried then above again. POP went the fuse.. I then realized that off the same harness a cable went to transfer case. I also disconnect that and the same thing happened.

So I have now determined that I have a short somewhere else or another sensor that is off the same F4 circuit that i have missed.

I was wondering if someone has a electrical drawings that they would be willing to share or if anyone else has has similar issues that could shed some light.

Your help is much appreciated!

Chad H
Advertisement
Old 03-10-2014, 11:36 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 08 e83 LCI
Replace the relay? Start poking around to find the short with a multimeter?
Old 03-11-2014, 05:47 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 BMW X3 MSport
Thanks Joylove,

Would you know what relay it would be? and where its located? Tonight I will start to look for that short.
Old 09-22-2014, 01:15 AM

Mein Auto: E46 330CI 2001
Hi all,

Did you manage to sort it out?.
It seams I have the same issue...