Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Old 08-22-2015, 01:56 PM

Mein Auto: 2000 540i
Weird Shifting Noise / Vibration

2007 BMW X3 with M package
47,000 miles

Here is the challenge .... it shifts weird. When we bought it we would be driving it along and hit a bump you would hear/feel something in the rear end that sounded like a gear disengaging for a brief period of time. After a few seconds it would reengage and go on about its merry way. Never paid much attention to it because it never got any worse.

Today though we had to climb a really steep hill. In auto it felt like the trans was slipping but it sounded like it was further back, maybe in the rear end. I changed to manual hoping to control it somewhat but to no avail. It literally felt like it was searching for a lower gear and not finding it but it kept climbing. On the way down the hill it was fine.

I then took it out on the highway and stomped on it it get around someone. The same thing happened. It felt and sounded like it couldnt find whatever it was looking for but it did accelerate. Normally driving doesnt cause any of these symptoms, its only when its trying to accelerate abnormally or is under some heavy stress like climbing a hill.

I had a guy tell me that all M series vehicles were like this due to the way they made the rear end but I had an M3 and dont remember it having these kinds of challenges when climbing hills.

Any ideas?
Advertisement
Old 08-23-2015, 05:37 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2001 540i/6 Tisilver/gray
Quote:
Originally Posted by flagshipone View Post
2007 BMW X3 with M package
47,000 miles

Here is the challenge .... it shifts weird. When we bought it we would be driving it along and hit a bump you would hear/feel something in the rear end that sounded like a gear disengaging for a brief period of time. After a few seconds it would reengage and go on about its merry way. Never paid much attention to it because it never got any worse.

Today though we had to climb a really steep hill. In auto it felt like the trans was slipping but it sounded like it was further back, maybe in the rear end. I changed to manual hoping to control it somewhat but to no avail. It literally felt like it was searching for a lower gear and not finding it but it kept climbing. On the way down the hill it was fine.

I then took it out on the highway and stomped on it it get around someone. The same thing happened. It felt and sounded like it couldnt find whatever it was looking for but it did accelerate. Normally driving doesnt cause any of these symptoms, its only when its trying to accelerate abnormally or is under some heavy stress like climbing a hill.

I had a guy tell me that all M series vehicles were like this due to the way they made the rear end but I had an M3 and dont remember it having these kinds of challenges when climbing hills.

Any ideas?
Flagship.....I don't think i can be of much help but, I looked up the Sports option & BMW didn't change the drive train for that option. It did come with stiffer springs & suspension & bigger wheels. Your issue may be the same that others have posted with the transmission software. One suggestion I would try is to clear your adaptive transmission memory. I personally feel that the transmission gets corrupted sort of like the new phones & laptops & need to be "rebooted". This is my opinion only. Try this. Disconnect both positive & neg. Battery terminals & touch them together to remove all stored energy/current, for about 15 minuets. I don't really know if this is too long or too short, so you be the judge. Then hook back up, positive 1st, then neg, taking care to make sure that the neg end is insulated & not touching any ground. Then turn the key to position 2 for about a minute so the servotronics motor can recalabrate, then restart the the car. You will see the yellow brake light & 4x4 lights on in the dash cluster but they will reset when you drive.
now your transmission adaptive driving memory will be cleared & will start the adaptive process from scratch. Hope this helps.
do you know if the car had the latest software update? I have read where bmw tried a software update to help this. Keep us posted.

BMW CCA #132981 Tarheel Chapter,
Old 08-24-2015, 05:07 AM

Mein Auto: 2000 540i
I will give it a shot. As for the software this is all news to me but it makes sense. Dealership is over an hour away but I will give them a call and see what the procedure is.
Old 08-25-2015, 01:38 PM
Gearhead

Mein Auto: 2007 X3
Sounds like what happened to me when I changed my tranny fluid, and didn't get enough back in.

I have an 07 auto as well.