Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 06-29-2013, 05:33 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 01 540i/6
Which is better for the interior?

The part of SoCal I live is somewhat dusty. The dust my car accumulates in a day would probably take anyone else a good week to reach. So I always keep the windows shut when parked. And now because of limited garage space, my precious E39 is now left out by the driveway. and with the heat of the summer, most people would leave their sunroof open. Mine as expected is always shut.

so now the question - which is worse for the interior, to keep everything shut and keep the interior clean but have the cabin bake like an oven? or crack a window and keep the interior cool but let the dust/humidity to enter the cabin? I have tinted windows if that helps
Old 06-29-2013, 06:10 PM

Mein Auto: 1997 540i
The E39 interior holds up amazingly under sun. I wouldn't worry about leaving windows up and parked in the sun, I've never seen any plastic melt or anything like that and my car hasn't seen a garage in 5 years. Dust on the other hand is insidious and impossible to completely remove. It may get in the worst places in the interior, even down vents and in all kinds of places.

I say no to dust.
Old 06-29-2013, 08:06 PM

Mein Auto: 2003 530i 5spd Manual
Tint it with a good quality ceramic or metallic tint. Use a custom fit windscreen shade. Keep everything closed. Use lots of quality leather and vinyl care products when you detail to keep things from getting crispy. FL feller here.

Garage queen: '07 335i Sedan, base pkg, 6spd Manual, Procede 3 V5 w/NLS, staggered 18" 313's w/Conti DWS's, OS Giken TCD LSD, VAC Street Diff Cover, Akebono Euro Pads, CDV Removed, Black BMW Grilles, Interior & Exterior white LED lighting, LUX Angel Eyes, Debadged, Llumar ATR Tint.
Old 06-29-2013, 08:09 PM

Mein Auto: 540/6, S60 Volvo, Tribeca
Keep it closed up and get a car cover. You can put it on and take it off in 2 min or less. It will keep the sun out and the dust off the body.

2000 540/6 Slightly tweeked...everywhere
Old 06-29-2013, 08:25 PM

Mein Auto: e39 530i e28 535is(Sold)
Agree. Given I am not sure the heat is that much of an issue, even if you are really worried about the heat, cracking a window or the sunroof is not going to keep it significantly cooler that it would make a difference.

I would also do some preventative steps just to be safe.
Invest in a good sunshade for the windshield
I personally like the ones made by covercraft (pretty sure they make the ones for BMW so if you want the BMW lettering you can get that version).
Bav auto makes a pretty nice one too the Bavarian Autosport Ultimate Reflector Windshield Sunshade
Condition the dash
I highly recommend Aerospace 303 Protectant. It has an excellent reputation. It also has an SPF 40 rating which I believe is the highest in the industry
Clean and condition the leather seats
Lexol makes good stuff, but I have not really tried much else
Maybe check out some of the other products at autogeek (Pinnacle, Leatherique both might be worth a look)
Tinting your side and rear windows might be helpful
Yes the tint might keep it a few degrees cooler, but I was thinking new high quality tints might filer out some of the UV rays that may damage your interior over time
Old 06-30-2013, 08:46 PM

Mein Auto: 01' 540 M-Sport cdn, F355
The interior can take a pretty good beating from the heat, but the rear headrests will shrink up...good idea to treat them and the rest of the interior every few months with Leatherique Rejuvenator Oil, AND use a car cover...
Factory M-Sport package with factory installed M-tech bumpers, factory Bluetooth, factory M-Audio 10" dual voice coil subs, Homelink, M5 rear stabilizer bar, Bilstein B14 PSS coil overs, Stop Tech ss brake lines, Akebono Euro Ceramic brake pads, oem Brembo and Zimmerman rotors, Dinan Stage 1 software, Strong Strut front upper stress bar.
Old 07-01-2013, 05:58 AM

Mein Auto: '02 530i Sport auto
If you are in SoCal, that "dust" is actually very fine particles of sand that can be very abrasive. That is bad for both interiiors and exteriors. While the car cover is the best idea to keep heat out and dust off, there is a tradeoff. It can cause very slight scratching of your clear coat when you put it on or take it off, after your car is dusty from driving. Those scratches can be removed with a thorough buffing but that's a bit of labor. If you intend to use a car cover, I suggest:
1. Wash and wax your car. Dust comes off much easier on a waxed car.
2. Use compressed air (if available) or a dust brush to remove dust prior to putting the car cover on.
Old 07-01-2013, 07:44 AM

Mein Auto: 01 540i/6
Thanks for the input - great to know Im doing the right thing. Thats a good idea to use a car cover especially since I dont drive the e39 on weekends. And thats a good point regarding the light scratching putting a car cover on and off. Good news is I have a roof rack which is almost always on anyway so that would also help lessen the scratches on the roof