Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Closed Thread

Old 11-03-2009, 08:04 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2009 X3
Rick...no offense meant and no offense taken. San Francisco just has it's own set of ideals that differ from much of the rest of the country. That is fine. To each his own. I have no problem with people choosing not to conceal carry. It is a personal choice and also a choice which is guaranteed by the Second Amendment. I am also open to debate and love to hear other's opinions so don't avoid this thread!

I am not part of any law enforcement agency, but I am an officer in the United States Air Force who is fully trained on how to properly use a weapon. I am glad you trust the police. I'm sure most of the people at Trolley Square trusted the police also. Unfortunately, for six people, the police were not fast enough and another 4 were injured.

Do you really think it would make me "no better" if I were to take out a deranged gunman killing innocent people as you say in your post? By the way, I think you are very unfamiliar with gun laws if you think I would go to jail for killing the Trolle Square shooter while he was killing other people or after for that matter.

Last edited by Glock13; 11-03-2009 at 08:12 AM.
Old 11-03-2009, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evlengr View Post
Don't get me wrong. I am a card carrying NRA member and raised in a Military household. But your link really doesn't give a good reason for a CCW.
Really? A gunman shooting up innocent people in mall isn't a case for CCW? He did not have a CCW permit. Therefore he was not following the laws already put in place. I'm not sure how having more laws would make him follow them.
Old 11-03-2009, 08:23 AM
Ukemi - that's how I roll

Mein Auto: 2013 Audi S4 2010 MT MCS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glock13 View Post
Really? A gunman shooting up innocent people in mall isn't a case for CCW? He did not have a CCW permit. Therefore he was not following the laws already put in place. I'm not sure how having more laws would make him follow them.
No it actually strengthens why we should have better background checks. I can go to just about any gun show in VA and buy anything short of a 50 cal.

This boy was 18 years old and should never have been given access to firearms, let alone a sidearm that is designed for nothing but shooting humans. Better laws would have prevented him from having access to them in the first place.
2005 GC
2000 Jeep Cherokee
1997 Twin Turbo RX-7
1984 GTI Wolfsburg Edition Neuspeed and more
Old 11-03-2009, 08:26 AM

I'm not totally against stricter laws. However, a person bent on shooting a bunch of innocent people would most likely still have found a way to get a firearm to do this. Just out of curiosity, if you were at Trolley Square on that day, would you have not wanted to have a firearm by your side?
Old 11-03-2009, 08:27 AM

Mein Auto: BMW
Fair enough... and you are exactly right, I have absolutely zero knowledge of guns laws, and again I repeat... I have no real need to know. One of my closest friends of 30 years lives in St. Louis and he carries his with him at all times. Just for S n G's, I text him to see what it is, here's his response... "a Kimber Ultra Carry II. It is a 3" .45 cal with night sights and a Crimson Trace laser grips. It rocks. I have it right here, want to see?" So, what does all that mean, anyway? I do know, if there is ever threat of WW3, I'm road-tripping to stl to hide in his basement!

I would tend to agree with evlengr, this is good conversation for a guns and ammo website, of which I know none. And thats fine with me...
Old 11-03-2009, 08:29 AM

Mein Auto: BMW
But seriously... why don't more people mod their X3? I have been modding BMW's for 15yrs and there is very little available in the aftermarket to mod these, makes me crazy...

Last edited by rick chi-town-2; 11-03-2009 at 08:35 AM.
Old 11-03-2009, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick chi-town-2 View Post
Fair enough... and you are exactly right, I have absolutely zero knowledge of guns laws, and again I repeat... I have no real need to know. One of my closest friends of 30 years lives in St. Louis and he carries his with him at all times. Just for S n G's, I text him to see what it is, here's his response... "a Kimber Ultra Carry II. It is a 3" .45 cal with night sights and a Crimson Trace laser grips. It rocks. I have it right here, want to see?" So, what does all that mean, anyway? I do know, if there is ever threat of WW3, I'm road-tripping to stl to hide in his basement!

I would tend to agree with evlengr, this is good conversation for a guns and ammo website, of which I know none. And thats fine with me...
It basically means he has a small enough gun to conceal well with a large caliber along with sights that glow in the dark (for night shooting) and a laser sight as well.

I like the conversation here though. Nothing wrong with having a little debate on firearms. I think it's very interesting to see differing opinions and hear other's points of view!

P.S: Just for your info, in case you were ever in a dangerous situation, it is legal to use lethal force in most states if your life is in danger.

When's the next Chicago-G.B game?

Last edited by Glock13; 11-03-2009 at 08:42 AM.
Old 11-03-2009, 08:43 AM

Quote:
But seriously... why don't more people mod their X3? I have been modding BMW's for 15yrs and there is very little available in the aftermarket to mod these, makes me crazy...
They make holsters specifically for cars...does that count??
Old 11-03-2009, 09:13 AM
Beimer Bum

Mein Auto: X3
Ill keep my gun the pizza man wont come to my neighborhood after 9PM bc they get robbed hand gun in the car and pump in the house. When i get home late at night id rather not get killed by some crackhead trying to get some cash.
Old 11-03-2009, 09:19 AM
zeddy

Mein Auto: '06 330cic ZHP / '07 M35x
Quote:
Just wondering...and if so, do you store it in the X3 or keep it on your body. Just got a new X3 and our CCW permits are on the way! Looks like there are a few good places to store the firearm in the X3.
I understand BMW's coming out with the new "X3 X-terminator".

No need to conceal, she'll have machine guns built right into the A pillars

2000 Mercedes Benz E320 (daily driver)
2007 Infiniti M35x (wife's)
2006 330 cic ZHP 6sp (current)
2005 Z4 3.0 sp nav x-leather (retired)
2000 323i PP (best car, ever - retired)
Old 11-03-2009, 10:43 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 335d ZMP
Quote:
By the way, here is why I need a gun in the car....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trolley_Square_shooting
I certainly don't need a Wikipedia article to give me a reason to protect myself...all I have to do is open the paper or turn on the local news

Quote:
And I am also hopeful that you serve in some sort of law enforcement that you would feel the need to carry a concealed handgun...
Why would a LEO feel the "need" to be armed any more than a regular citizen? Do criminals only go after LEO's?

Quote:
In this country, we have a police force for a reason, I will leave my life and my trust in them to do their job...
You might trust them now, but unless you can carry a cop on your belt everywhere you go I doubt they will be there when you need them. Maybe 5-10 minutes after you need them, if you can still get your phone out and remember where you are before you bleed out.

Quote:
and in a case like you quoted, do you really believe your the man to "take out" some deranged suicidal gunman?
That wouldn't be my goal in choosing to arm myself, there are much more real violent crimes happening daily that the case of a suicidal gunman is very low on the list of threats

In this thread we have two people opposed to the idea of carrying a handgun..one from San Francisco and one from Chicago. lol. I guess the people from these cities are quite content with their local laws.
ED 24.05.2006 X3
ED 27.07.2005 X3

Last edited by lilskel; 11-03-2009 at 10:48 AM.
Old 11-03-2009, 01:16 PM

I think it's one of those issues where you never really see the need for it until you are in a situation that you do need it. Hopefully, none of us will ever have to be in that situation, but as lilskel said, just take a look at the news every day. I think it also has to do with having a significant other and children. Each one of these makes life more precious. I can't even imagine being in a situation with my wife where her life was under someone else's control. That being said, I fully respect other's opinions not to conceal carry. It is a tough decision either way and there are plus's and con's on both sides. It is something each person must weigh.
Old 11-03-2009, 08:09 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 X3 3.0
Ive been reading this string since it was introduced and biting my tongue. I can't bite it no longer. Chi town, really? You have no need to know the laws of the country you live in? Really? Really? Ignorance is never bliss, especially when it comes to laws and your rights. Education is power my friend. Then cracking back on a member on this forum for calling out San Fran? Have you had your head in the sand? San Fran is the epitome of WTF on any issue??!! All I have to say is WOW. Sorry for my rant but I couldn't hold it back. If you don't want to conceal, don't. I don't like carrots so, I don't eat them. Thank god for the 2nd amendment!! I'll go and take my meds now.
Old 11-03-2009, 08:48 PM

BMW's not Guns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock'n R View Post
Ive been reading this string since it was introduced and biting my tongue. I can't bite it no longer. Chi town, really? You have no need to know the laws of the country you live in? Really? Really? Ignorance is never bliss, especially when it comes to laws and your rights. Education is power my friend. Then cracking back on a member on this forum for calling out San Fran? Have you had your head in the sand? San Fran is the epitome of WTF on any issue??!! All I have to say is WOW. Sorry for my rant but I couldn't hold it back. If you don't want to conceal, don't. I don't like carrots so, I don't eat them. Thank god for the 2nd amendment!! I'll go and take my meds now.

Yes please do. I have no idea what the heck that gibberish was.

I live outside DC and was next door to one of the locations the sniper shot and killed someone years back. I have been shot at three times while living in Philly, and have a six inch scar acroos my arm while blocking a knife attack.

I disarmed my assailant and broke his hand, several ribs, and a couple teeth with out a gun. I used a simple baton.

I now have a five year old and would rather run the risk of her not shooting herself or one of her friends because I have a sidearm in my car. I do however have two taser C2's. One for me, and one for my wife. Yes, some people have died from a taser but not like handguns. And please dont tell me that they don't shoot far enough as most handgun battles are under 15 feet. Plus mine needs a key to arm.

After living in a military household with more weapons than you can imagine I fully understand the advantages and disadvantages of having guns close by. Ask my older brother after my younger brother shot him by mistake. Fortunately it passed through the meaty part of his shoulder and not his head.

Lets keep the conversation about BMW's. People are too polarized about this kind of subject.
2005 GC
2000 Jeep Cherokee
1997 Twin Turbo RX-7
Old 11-03-2009, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Yes please do. I have no idea what the heck that gibberish was.

I live outside DC and was next door to one of the locations the sniper shot and killed someone years back.
Lets keep the conversation about BMW's. People are too polarized about this kind of subject.
Aren't guns banned in DC? How did the Sniper get that gun? I'm not sure what you didn't understand about Rock'n R's post. It was pretty straight forward. This X3 board needs a little spicing up. I can only read so many posts about PPWKYZ's car not working.
Old 11-03-2009, 09:03 PM
zeddy

Quote:
Aren't guns banned in DC? How did the Sniper get that gun? I'm not sure what you didn't understand about Rock'n R's post. It was pretty straight forward. This X3 board needs a little spicing up. I can only read so many posts about PPWKYZ's car not working.
There was a huge supreme court case just last year

Old 11-03-2009, 09:05 PM
zeddy

Quote:
We have a political science section, but you'll need 60 some odd posts to get in - so keep those detailing and PP's car not working posts going.

Old 11-03-2009, 09:20 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 X3 3.0

Yep!! BMW's are great. Only solutions or seeking solutions in the future for me.

Last edited by Rock'n R; 11-03-2009 at 10:04 PM.
Old 11-03-2009, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdCT View Post
There was a huge supreme court case just last year
Yeah, but the Sniper shootings were before that.

That's post 25. Do I really need 60 to post in certain forums?

Last edited by Glock13; 11-03-2009 at 10:10 PM.
Old 11-04-2009, 05:37 AM

Quote:
There are a couple of things that I keep away from most conversations, political issues, religon, and guns.

The guns he bought from a gun show in VA with no proper background check..coug cough. And there is nothing scarier than shielding your pregnant wife with your own body not knowing if you are going to be shot while filling up your gas tank. A sidearm would have done very little at that point.

So I have been there. I have been shot at, I held my brothers shoulder as a teen while my little brother freaked out, and I have defended myself and walked away from a life threatening situation. Speaking from all those experiences, I think there are better topics for this board than firearms.

The other problem you have not addressed is that if you miss in a crowded mall and the bullet goes through a wall and kills someone, what then? Unless you have access to fragmentation ammunition (only military and police can carry them) then firing a weapon in a crowded area as you suggest can be just as dangerous.

I do think the board needs some other topics, but talking about shooting people is not one of them. That is essentially what we are talking about since handguns are pretty much made for one thing.

It is too bad we can't talk about changing out the exhaust, tuning the suspension, or upgrading the engine. Maybe they will eventually offer some upgrades now that the X3 is getting older and people will be more prone to make changes on a vehicle out of warranty.

I think we need to get back to something most of us can agree on--how to improve our BMW experience.
2005 GC
2000 Jeep Cherokee
1997 Twin Turbo RX-7

Last edited by Evlengr; 11-04-2009 at 06:59 AM.
Old 11-04-2009, 06:47 AM

Mein Auto: '06 X3
Wow! Glock started something here. I have to agree that aside from a reasonable question about where a CCW might fit in the X3 it has gotten far afield. Eveyone has an opinion and a right to that, but is this topic really appropriate for this board which deals with the hard riding (I had to get that in somewhere)X3? Since I live in a state which has become "progressive" a CCW is denied me so I make due with my wasp and hornet spray.

Last edited by UncleJ; 11-04-2009 at 06:49 AM.
Old 11-04-2009, 07:15 AM

Quote:
There are a couple of things that I keep away from most conversations, political issues, religon, and guns.

The guns he bought from a gun show in VA with no proper background check..coug cough. And there is nothing scarier than shielding your pregnant wife with your own body not knowing if you are going to be shot while filling up your gas tank. A sidearm would have done very little at that point.

So I have been there. I have been shot at, I held my brothers shoulder as a teen while my little brother freaked out, and I have defended myself and walked away from a life threatening situation. Speaking from all those experiences, I think there are better topics for this board than firearms.

The other problem you have not addressed is that if you miss in a crowded mall and the bullet goes through a wall and kills someone, what then? Unless you have access to fragmentation ammunition (only military and police can carry them) then firing a weapon in a crowded area as you suggest can be just as dangerous.

I do think the board needs some other topics, but talking about shooting people is not one of them. That is essentially what we are talking about since handguns are pretty much made for one thing.

It is too bad we can't talk about changing out the exhaust, tuning the suspension, or upgrading the engine. Maybe they will eventually offer some upgrades now that the X3 is getting older and people will be more prone to make changes on a vehicle out of warranty.

I think we need to get back to something most of us can agree on--how to improve our BMW experience.
True, but this goes to show that most gun laws don't work...even banning them in a state. DC isn't exactly a shining example of low-crime rate even though it had banned firearms.

If I am in a crowded mall and being fired at by an armed gunman, I think the risk of fragging an innocent in an attempt to stop the perpetrator is quite small and a risk most people are willing to take.

This discussion didn't start about the Second Amendment. That being said, framing it as "talking about shooting people" is a little innacurate. It is a right given to us all. Let's not shy away from a topic because certain people don't believe in that right.
Old 11-04-2009, 07:36 AM

Quote:
True, but this goes to show that most gun laws don't work...even banning them in a state. DC isn't exactly a shining example of low-crime rate even though it had banned firearms.

If I am in a crowded mall and being fired at by an armed gunman, I think the risk of fragging an innocent in an attempt to stop the perpetrator is quite small and a risk most people are willing to take.

This discussion didn't start about the Second Amendment. That being said, framing it as "talking about shooting people" is a little innacurate. It is a right given to us all. Let's not shy away from a topic because certain people don't believe in that right.
It does show that gun laws need to be universally applied across all states. I never stated you shouldn't have the right to carry. Personally, I think if you are going to carry it should be fully visible.

And fragmentation ammunition is not "fragging" someone. It breaks up upon hitting any hard surface. It was designed for close quaters combat to prevent shooting friendlies. Most police departments have it as standard issue now. Therefore, it is less risky for a police officer to return fire.

Again, I think we need to get back to a topic we can agree on---BMW's

Now if you would like to talk about building a lock box in your vehicle I can help with that. Police officers are required to keep them in a "locked up" state when not on their person for a reason.
2005 GC
2000 Jeep Cherokee
1997 Twin Turbo RX-7

Last edited by Evlengr; 11-04-2009 at 07:54 AM.
Old 11-04-2009, 07:39 AM

So, can we still talk about where to conceal carry in an X3 or is that not allowed here?
Old 11-04-2009, 08:19 AM

Here ya go. Why bother with wimpy little guns.

Figured a little levity wouldn't hurt here.
2005 GC
2000 Jeep Cherokee
1997 Twin Turbo RX-7
Closed Thread