Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)

7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)
Discussion pertaining to the flagship BMW here.

Old 11-01-2009, 01:56 PM

Mein Auto: 745i
Help! Battery Drain...

Something is draining my battery to the point where car will not start.

It has been in local garage for a week now and all they can point to is the module the covers the electric seats - apparently it should go to sleep as do all the modules at a pre-detrermined time i.e. approx 15mins.

This seems to stay on for about an hour!?!

Thus they have highlighted this as the potential issue!

Your thoughts??

They have suggested BMW as next step but will cost - can the fuse be pulled that covers this area?? to stop drain until i get the funds for repair??
Advertisement
Old 11-01-2009, 02:22 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 760Li
your best bet is to put a mulitmeter in a series with the battery (long enough wires so it can reach out of the trunk.

You will be able to see the draw on the battery, wait about 20 mins and you will see the draw when the car is off. Call your dealer and ask them for the spec. as to what it should be. Remove a fuse to a system of the car, and then repeat. If it doesn't drop, replace fuse and try another one. Repeat until you find the offending system.
Old 11-01-2009, 02:40 PM

is your alternator good?
Old 11-02-2009, 10:57 AM
bbj flt eng

Send a message via Skype™ to west aussie 745
Mein Auto: 745i sapphire black
i had a similar problem. I work overseas and my 745i is parked for 7 weeks at a time with the battery switch in sleep mode without any problems of restarting but when i would park it overnight the battery would drain. My problem was the auto blower would star up at a pre determined time and drain the battery. The fan control module was replaced and all is now ok.Hopes this helps.
Old 11-02-2009, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustar View Post
is your alternator good?
Alternator OK
Old 11-02-2009, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by west aussie 745 View Post
i had a similar problem. I work overseas and my 745i is parked for 7 weeks at a time with the battery switch in sleep mode without any problems of restarting but when i would park it overnight the battery would drain. My problem was the auto blower would star up at a pre determined time and drain the battery. The fan control module was replaced and all is now ok.Hopes this helps.
Thanks...

Just waiting on garage to decide what they are doing, but they will no doubt try and wriggle out of fixing.

Computers = nightmare
Old 11-02-2009, 07:40 PM

Mein Auto: 2002 745i
Quote:
Originally Posted by csmeance View Post
your best bet is to put a mulitmeter in a series with the battery (long enough wires so it can reach out of the trunk.

You will be able to see the draw on the battery, wait about 20 mins and you will see the draw when the car is off. Call your dealer and ask them for the spec. As to what it should be. Remove a fuse to a system of the car, and then repeat. If it doesn't drop, replace fuse and try another one. Repeat until you find the offending system.
+1

EDIT: I should have mentioned I did this way back when my battery was having issues... One tip I found is that you can trick the car into thinking the trunk is closed by clicking the latch/hook on the trunk locking mechanism (if I recall you just press the bottom of the locking mechanism until it clicks). You can then use your key to unlock the hook/lock later to bring it back to normal operation. Once the lock is engaged, the vehicle thinks that the trunk is closed and it will go to sleep (in 16 minutes I believe). Once in sleep mode you can play with fuses in the trunk and also monitor the AMPs on your amp meter as you do it. Of course, I'm sure certain fuses will cause the vehicle to come out of sleep mode if they are removed... so it will take some patience if it truly is a load happening only during sleep.

That said, it sounds as if they have already found the culprit (the seat module?) and that you could directly pull the fuse for that module for now until a dealer could look at it. The diagnostic tools that BMW has (DIS) will allow them to monitor voltage and amperage in real time and force the vehicle and/or specific modules into sleep mode to help diagnose the root cause.

EDIT #2: See attached a PDF with some detailed information I copy/pasted from the WDS and DIS a while back when I was diagnosing my own set of problems (which turned out to be battery related).
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Parasitic Load.pdf (545.1 KB, 493 views)

Last edited by teejaylentz; 11-02-2009 at 08:57 PM.
Old 11-02-2009, 10:36 PM
Master Tinkerer

Mein Auto: 2007 Alpina B7

Black 2007 Alpina B7
Tension strut bushings

White 2007 Alpina B7
Supercharger clutch/bearings, replaced exhaust valve/pulled head, sunroof seal, 6000K angel eyes

Black 2002 BMW 745Li (sold)
KW v3's, blue angel eyes, 8000K headlights & HID fogs, rebuilt alternator & mounting bracket gasket, sunroof seal, CCVs, plugs, sway bar bushings, timing & valve cover gaskets, valve stem seals, guibo joint, mechatronic sealing sleeve, trans fluid, sanded headlights...

Last edited by Keif; 11-02-2009 at 10:37 PM. Reason: BALEETED!!
Old 11-04-2009, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teejaylentz View Post
+1

EDIT: I should have mentioned I did this way back when my battery was having issues... One tip I found is that you can trick the car into thinking the trunk is closed by clicking the latch/hook on the trunk locking mechanism (if I recall you just press the bottom of the locking mechanism until it clicks). You can then use your key to unlock the hook/lock later to bring it back to normal operation. Once the lock is engaged, the vehicle thinks that the trunk is closed and it will go to sleep (in 16 minutes I believe). Once in sleep mode you can play with fuses in the trunk and also monitor the AMPs on your amp meter as you do it. Of course, I'm sure certain fuses will cause the vehicle to come out of sleep mode if they are removed... so it will take some patience if it truly is a load happening only during sleep.

That said, it sounds as if they have already found the culprit (the seat module?) and that you could directly pull the fuse for that module for now until a dealer could look at it. The diagnostic tools that BMW has (DIS) will allow them to monitor voltage and amperage in real time and force the vehicle and/or specific modules into sleep mode to help diagnose the root cause.

EDIT #2: See attached a PDF with some detailed information I copy/pasted from the WDS and DIS a while back when I was diagnosing my own set of problems (which turned out to be battery related).

Thanks for the detail - car still in garage - now in a bit of a dispute with them!>! pain in the rear, no wheels !!!