Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > Motorsports, Racing & Track

Motorsports, Racing & Track
From Formula One to Auto-X, discuss everything related to going fast here...

Old 11-02-2009, 03:46 PM
Awesome power!

Mein Auto: 2007 Alpin Weiss 335ci
Formula 1 2010 Season ###SPOILER###

Here we go with another season. Should be interesting with all the rules changes...again. I for one will greatly miss BMW being in the mix. New teams, though, should add some spice, as long as they don't enter the fray entirely as backmarkers. USF1 should add some spice with Peter Windsor at the helm. Also, I hope Kubica gets the ride he deserves.

2007 BMW 335ci, Alpin Weiss, saddle brown, SP, PP (tree trim), Step, hot seats. Mod free. As pictured: on SSR GT1s with Goodyear F1s. AKA "White Lightnin'"
2012 Mini Cooper Hardtop S in chili red with white mirrors, top and racing stripes. AKA "Big Red S."
Euro Delivery pics here: http://picasaweb.google.com/berford/GermanyAndSwitzerland2007?authkey=uGnlSSrqMTY
Ads by Google
Old 11-04-2009, 12:18 AM
Banned

Mein Auto:
Lets start the 2010 Formula 1 spoiler thread with some interesting news (not rumor).

Yesterday, Bridgestone announced that they will quit Formula 1 after 2010.

Today, Toyota quit Formula 1, effective immediately.

There is a strange trend with the Japanese in motor sport these days.

Last year, Honda quit Formula 1, Subaru and Suzuki quit WRC, and Kawasaki quit MotoGP.

Are there any other sports that they can stop being involved with?

As far as Toyota is concerned, earlier this summer, they signed the latest Concorde Agreement, that runs through the 2012 Formula 1 season. By quitting now, they will end up paying NOT to race.

On the other hand, this opens a place up for BMW Sauber to be on the grid next March.
Old 11-04-2009, 12:25 AM
Banned

Mein Auto:
As far as rule changes go for 2010, really the only interesting and slightly stupid change is the banning of re-fuelling during the race. Meaning that cars will start races with up to 300kg of fuel on board.

Then there are slightly narrower front tires, and apparently tire warmers will be banned (not sure of that will actually happen).

Qualifying will be more fun because there will not be any silly rules about fuel loads in Q3 and fuel loads for the start of the race.

Otherwise, all of the new teams plus Williams, will use Cosworth engines. Cosworth is NOT a part of the freeze on engine development (until 2012), so they are free to build their power plants as they like.

We may also see testing on Mondays, after each race. That would be good news for any Formula 1 test driver.
Old 11-04-2009, 05:23 AM
In Heaven

Mein Auto: 2008 535i-2011 B7 Alpina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
Lets start the 2010 Formula 1 spoiler thread with some interesting news (not rumor).

Last year, Honda quit Formula 1, Subaru and Suzuki quit WRC, and Kawasaki quit MotoGP.

As far as Toyota is concerned, earlier this summer, they signed the latest Concorde Agreement, that runs through the 2012 Formula 1 season. By quitting now, they will end up paying NOT to race.

On the other hand, this opens a place up for BMW Sauber to be on the grid next March.
I thought BMW Sauber announced not to return to F1, or is it only after 2010?

2011 B7 Alpina- Dinan Stage 1 -573HP/644lb-ft -Wife car...
2008 535i - daily driver with 2014 chevy
2008 335i - lease - returned
2007 750li - retired
2004 545i - retired
1982 320i - retired
Old 11-04-2009, 06:17 AM
Banned

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeYal View Post
I thought BMW Sauber announced not to return to F1, or is it only after 2010?
A Swiss investment company bought the team a few months ago.

Until today when Toyota quit, there were no open grid positions for a 14th team. 26 cars is the maximum number, as agreed by FOTA.

If Sauber (or whatever it will be called) want to race next season, they now have a place once they sign the Concorde Agreement.
Old 11-04-2009, 06:36 AM
In Heaven

Mein Auto: 2008 535i-2011 B7 Alpina
Quote:

Until today when Toyota quit, there were no open grid positions for a 14th team. 26 cars is the maximum number, as agreed by FOTA.

If Sauber (or whatever it will be called) want to race next season, they now have a place once they sign the Concorde Agreement.
Thanks for the info!

2011 B7 Alpina- Dinan Stage 1 -573HP/644lb-ft -Wife car...
2008 535i - daily driver with 2014 chevy
2008 335i - lease - returned
2007 750li - retired
2004 545i - retired
1982 320i - retired
Old 11-04-2009, 06:45 AM
Awesome power!

Mein Auto: 2007 Alpin Weiss 335ci
Quote:

To clarify further, when the investment co. made the purchase, it appeared they were doing a favor to Peter
Sauber so as to preserve Swiss jobs (since the production, testing, etc., is based in Hinwil, Switzerland.) BMW as a company will no longer be in F1, but perhaps some (or many) of the F1 team members/principals will shift to the newly acquired company. If they have a place on the grid, Swiss F1 may be a viable entity. If not, it would appear to be a pretty bad investment.

2007 BMW 335ci, Alpin Weiss, saddle brown, SP, PP (tree trim), Step, hot seats. Mod free. As pictured: on SSR GT1s with Goodyear F1s. AKA "White Lightnin'"
2012 Mini Cooper Hardtop S in chili red with white mirrors, top and racing stripes. AKA "Big Red S."
Euro Delivery pics here: http://picasaweb.google.com/berford/GermanyAndSwitzerland2007?authkey=uGnlSSrqMTY
Old 11-04-2009, 06:47 AM
Banned

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeYal View Post
Thanks for the info!
No problem.

It is quite a confusing situation.

And it has not been 100% confirmed that all of the new teams will actually be on the grid in March. So who knows what will happen with Sauber.

I think that Renault will be the next team to quit.
Old 11-04-2009, 06:56 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Send a message via MSN to mrbelk
Mein Auto: 07 335i/6sp
Quote:
No problem.

It is quite a confusing situation.

And it has not been 100% confirmed that all of the new teams will actually be on the grid in March. So who knows what will happen with Sauber.

I think that Renault will be the next team to quit.
Man, that would really screw over Kubica if they do decide to withdraw after signing him to a contract; although I suppose he could reclaim his race seat at Sauber if he wanted it. There's no one on the grid that's available (besides Raikkonen) who's better than Kubica. I'm happy to see that Sauber will be able to continue next year if they choose to; although since BMW is no longer involved, I will become a sole USF1 fan.

-MrB
(ED 5/7/07) '07 335i/6sp TiAg/Lemon, Trip Journal
(ED 4/18/05) '05 X3 3.0 Blue Water/Black, Trip Journal
(ED 4/28/04) '04 545i Silver Gray/Beige
Old 11-04-2009, 07:08 AM
Banned

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbelk View Post
Man, that would really screw over Kubica if they do decide to withdraw after signing him to a contract; although I suppose he could reclaim his race seat at Sauber if he wanted it. There's no one on the grid that's available (besides Raikkonen) who's better than Kubica. I'm happy to see that Sauber will be able to continue next year if they choose to; although since BMW is no longer involved, I will become a sole USF1 fan.

-MrB
Renault has also signed the Concorde Agreement through 2012. If they quit before that, they will be liable for a big chunk of change - just like Toyota is now (not including their 1000 salaried employees in Köln).

This paying-not-to-race thing is strange. A fine example of that is Ferrari and Santander Bank: paying Räikkönen $45 million US Dollars over the next two years, not to drive for the team, but also to RACE AGAINST THEM.

Alonso managed to "develop" a terrible car for Renault this season, I hope that Kubica fairs better.
Old 11-04-2009, 05:43 PM

Mein Auto: 1999 Z3, 2006 Boxster
What could be the most interesting thing is Bridgestone's withdrawal after 2010. I don't think Michelin will be that interested in coming back. Pirelli has already said they're not interested. That leaves Dunlop, Goodyear, and Continental among the big players. Goodyear's busy enough with NASCAR, so I'm not sure if they'd be interested in spending the money to get back into F1. This could be one instance where Bernie can't dictate terms. He needs a tire supplier much more than any of them need him.
Old 11-04-2009, 05:50 PM

Mein Auto: A big grin
Quote:

The Sauber-Ferrari team should not be considered a lock on a spot yet. The FIA moves in strange and mysterious ways.
BTW Renault's BOD meets tomorrow to discuss their future in F1.
Old 11-05-2009, 02:06 AM
Banned

Mein Auto:
It sounds like Epsilon Euskadi will try to buy what is left of Toyota. But they won't get it as cheap as Brawn got Honda for (£1).
Old 11-05-2009, 03:52 AM

Mein Auto: E39 540i Sport
I'm in for 2010.

Dirrezas (4) @ 275/35-18, Eibach springs & bars, Bilstein Sports, Dinan Stage 2, slotted ATEs, Hi-Temp HTP pads, SS Lines, UUC-SS, White/Tan, Bling-free & Stealthy
Old 11-05-2009, 04:00 AM

Quote:
It sounds like Epsilon Euskadi will try to buy what is left of Toyota. But they won't get it as cheap as Brawn got Honda for (£1).
They announced this AM that they won't be making the grid next year even if a slot opens up (Yahoo News).
Old 11-05-2009, 10:46 AM
Banned

Mein Auto:
Ok, now it sounds like Renault is NOT 100% sure to be on the grid in 2010.

The boss of Renault, Carlos Ghosn, said this afternoon that they will announce their intentions for Formula 1 before the end of this year.

Not good news.
Old 11-05-2009, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Ok, now it sounds like Renault is NOT 100% sure to be on the grid in 2010.

The boss of Renault, Carlos Ghosn, said this afternoon that they will announce their intentions for Formula 1 before the end of this year.

Not good news.
It may be that they're negotiating an exit deal that won't require paying the full penalty.
Old 11-09-2009, 10:09 AM
Banned

Mein Auto:
Buemi and Alguersuari are continuing to race for Toro Rosso.

Martin Whitmarsh however, may not be continuing to be the principle of McLaren.

Ron Dennis is extremely angry (again)...
Old 11-14-2009, 07:13 AM
Banned

Mein Auto:
Lightbulb Have a seat

The latest.

Button to McLaren.

Kovalainen to BrawnGP.

Räikkönen to... CITROËN in WRC.

Comments on this speculation from Finland?
Old 11-14-2009, 07:17 AM

Quote:
The latest.

Button to McLaren.

Kovalainen to BrawnGP.

Räikkönen to... CITROËN in WRC.

Comments on this speculation from Finland?
Both Kimi and Jensen visited Woking last week. FWIW.
Old 11-14-2009, 07:20 AM
Banned

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIZSLA View Post
Both Kimi and Jensen visited Woking last week. FWIW.
Yep.

McLaren's choice are (in this order):

1. Button
2. Räikkönen
3. Glock
Old 11-14-2009, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Yep.

McLaren's choice are (in this order):

1. Button
2. Räikkönen
3. Glock
Even though Kimi is asking the world McLaren can and will pay IF they really want him.
I suspect that Button would have signed with McLaren (or Brawn for that matter) if a decent offer was made to him. After last year's cut in pay Jensen is looking to cash in on his WDC.
What say does Lewis have in the matter I wonder.
Old 11-14-2009, 08:03 AM
Banned

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Even though Kimi is asking the world McLaren can and will pay IF they really want him.
I suspect that Button would have signed with McLaren (or Brawn for that matter) if a decent offer was made to him. After last year's cut in pay Jensen is looking to cash in on his WDC.
What say does Lewis have in the matter I wonder.
McLaren are offering Räikkönen about 4 million Euros for 2010; he will get paid 10 million Euros by Santander if he does NOT drive in Formula 1 in 2010. If he does drive in Formula 1, that figure drops to 5.5 million Euros.

He will get a similar amount of money in 2011 from Santander.

Brawn have not offered Button a pay increase at all. Same salary as 2009, take it or leave it.

Hamilton's father has said that McLaren should take Räikkönen. If he actually means that is anyone's guess.

Apparently, Hamilton himself wants either Kovalainen or... Trulli.

That sort of reminds me of Alonso always wanting a #2, and he sure as hell won't get that from FIAT in 2010.

-----------------

We have some good friends in Italy that are hardcore, diehard Tifosi. They are cheering against Alonso next year... and hoping that Räikkönen drives for McLaren so that he can make Domenicali and di Montezelemo look like idiots.
Old 11-14-2009, 08:09 AM

Quote:
McLaren are offering Räikkönen about 4 million Euros for 2010; he will get paid 10 million Euros by Santander if he does NOT drive in Formula 1 in 2010. If he does drive in Formula 1, that figure drops to 5.5 million Euros.

He will get a similar amount of money in 2011 from Santander.

Brawn have not offered Button a pay increase at all. Same salary as 2009, take it or leave it.

Hamilton's father has said that McLaren should take Räikkönen. If he actually means that is anyone's guess.

Apparently, Hamilton himself wants either Kovalainen or... Trulli.

That sort of reminds me of Alonso always wanting a #2, and he sure as hell won't get that from FIAT in 2010.

-----------------

We have some good friends in Italy that are hardcore, diehard Tifosi. They are cheering against Alonso next year... and hoping that Räikkönen drives for McLaren so that he can make Domenicali and di Montezelemo look like idiots.
Not my definition of a die-hard Tifosi.
So Brawn isn't serious about Button.
Hamilton isn't looking for competition.
As usual dad is out of the loop.
Kimi is still dancing with Ron.

What are the Finnish fans thinking about Kimi? I'll bet a number of them want to see him rally.
Old 11-14-2009, 08:25 AM
Banned

Mein Auto:
Quote:
What are the Finnish fans thinking about Kimi? I'll bet a number of them want to see him rally.
I would say that it is quite even: drive for McLaren or don't drive at all. I for one, highly doubt that he could have any chance in a WRC car next season. When the formula for WRC changes to the turbo charged, S2000 cars in 2011, he might have a chance.

Räikkönen has said himself that he will only drive (any motor sport) if he has a car that he can win in. And he has ruled out NASCAR...

My guess is that he will drive for McLaren, and that we will hear about this in the next two weeks. He wants to beat Ferrari now more than ever.