Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > Motorsports, Racing & Track

Motorsports, Racing & Track
From Formula One to Auto-X, discuss everything related to going fast here...

Old 11-17-2009, 05:32 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: E39 540i Sport
Even worse

Raikkonen to take a sabbatical in 2010

By Jonathan Noble Tuesday, November 17th 2009, 23:55 GMT

Former world champion Kimi Raikkonen will take a sabbatical from Formula 1 next year, his manager has revealed, following the collapse of talks with McLaren about a deal for 2010.

Raikkonen said last month that, in the wake of being released from his Ferrari contract, his only option to remain in F1 was with McLaren - because he wanted to be guaranteed a top-line grand prix car.

However, amid increasing speculation that Jenson Button is on his way to the British team, Raikkonen's manager Steve Robertson revealed on Tuesday night that discussions with McLaren had come to an end.

"The options in F1 were with McLaren next season or not at all," Robertson was quoted as saying by respected Finnish newspaper Turun Sanomat, which has close links with the Raikkonen camp. "Kimi and McLaren were unable to reach an agreement, so he will not drive at the F1 level - at least not next year.

"A gap year means nothing for Kimi. He is more interested in fighting for wins and the world championship. F1 will miss Kimi. He worked hard over the summer - doing things in a Ferrari that only the best drivers are capable of."

AUTOSPORT understands that there were several stumbling blocks to a deal being completed with McLaren prior to the team finding out that Button was available and interested.

As well as a difference of opinion about wages, Raikkonen and McLaren were believed to not be in agreement about the number of sponsorship appearance days he should do, or about how free he was to do rallies.

With Raikkonen only interested in returning to F1 in a race-winning car, his best option for 2011 would appear to lie with Red Bull Racing - which has a theoretical vacancy for 2011 with Mark Webber currently only contracted until the end of next year.

Although it is not clear what Raikkonen will do next year, it is possible that he will focus his efforts on the World Rally Championship – while he sorts out an F1 return. Red Bull could be involved in his rally plans too.

Dirrezas (4) @ 275/35-18, Eibach springs & bars, Bilstein Sports, Dinan Stage 2, slotted ATEs, Hi-Temp HTP pads, SS Lines, UUC-SS, White/Tan, Bling-free & Stealthy
Old 11-17-2009, 08:44 PM
racer wannabe

Mein Auto: '12 X5,'08 535i, '03 325i
It looks like the crash didn't stop Kubica from continuing his rally adventures and he will contest another rally. He is on the list of entrants for the 55 Rallye du Var, last round of French championship. Loeb will also drive in the rally with his wife as a co-driver in a C4 WRC. Kubica will start in a simpler FWD Renault Clio R3.
Old 11-18-2009, 06:28 AM
Banned

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by F1Crazy View Post
It looks like Kovalainen will be out as well so it means no Finnish driver in F1?!!!
I think that Kovalainen will drive in Formula One.

Now that Glock has gone to Manor, Kovalainen has a shot at the vacant Renault seat.

Also, Sauber is a possibility.
Old 11-18-2009, 06:31 AM
Banned

Mein Auto:
The bottom line with Räikkönen not getting the McLaren seat is MONEY.

McLaren could not pay what they were asking.

So, Räikkönen will take the 11.8 million Euros that Santander is paying him not to drive, and he will go and do something else. Like WRC with either Petter Solberg's team, or in a third Citroën for Red Bull.
Old 11-18-2009, 06:48 AM
Here comes trouble!

Mein Auto: 2009 328i E90 :)
It's official, Button to McLaren. Very surprised and somewhat disappointed in that move. Finally Button has the success everyone always thought he was capable of and then he leaves the team after it just secured more money through Mercedes Benz? Odd...

http://www.formula1.com/news/headlin.../11/10228.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by furby076 View Post
You will rue this day, RUE THIS DAY
Old 11-18-2009, 06:51 AM

Mein Auto: A big grin
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwinter View Post
It's official, Button to McLaren. Very surprised and somewhat disappointed in that move. Finally Button has the success everyone always thought he was capable of and then he leaves the team after it just secured more money through Mercedes Benz? Odd...

It seems that Ross was still courting Button right up to the end.
Odd turn of events but then again this is F1.
Old 11-18-2009, 07:10 AM
racer wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwinter View Post

I think it's a good move for Button, he accomplished what every driver sets out to do in F1, his chances of winning another championship are slim and chances of scoring more wins are the same in either team so he took the money that he thinks he deserves.
Old 11-18-2009, 07:16 AM
racer wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
I think that Kovalainen will drive in Formula One.

Now that Glock has gone to Manor, Kovalainen has a shot at the vacant Renault seat.

Also, Sauber is a possibility.
I don't see why any high ranked team would hire him, he already had his chance at Renault. He didn't turn out to be the driver people had hoped he would be after winning that ROC.

Getting a seat at Brawn for Heidfeld would be like winning a lottery, talk about change of luck.
Old 11-18-2009, 07:37 AM
racer wannabe

Patrick, just read that there is information in Finnish media about some Russian investors for 40% of Renault, bringing enough money to secure teams future in F1. There might be a Russian driver in F1 - Vitaly Petrov. ???
Old 11-18-2009, 07:49 AM
Banned

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by F1Crazy View Post
Patrick, just read that there is information in Finnish media about some Russian investors for 40% of Renault, bringing enough money to secure teams future in F1. There might be a Russian driver in F1 - Vitaly Petrov. ???
I can't find anything about this from my sources, but that doesn't mean anything.

Petrov was Ok in GP2, but I am not sure if he would be any better than Grosjean.

Keke Rosberg (who has all of the inside info on Formula One) says that Kovalainen will go to Renault.
Old 11-18-2009, 04:13 PM

[QUOTE=cwinter;4693803]It's official, Button to McLaren. Very surprised and somewhat disappointed in that move. Finally Button has the success everyone always thought he was capable of and then he leaves the team after it just secured more money through Mercedes Benz? Odd...QUOTE]

The way I see it Brawn and Button lucked out in the beginning of the season with a dominant car. Button managed to not f/u and then drove it home. If there were more races Button and Brawn may not have made it to the end in points.

Brawn team is still very new and all the bucks$ in Mercedes can not change that.

Dirrezas (4) @ 275/35-18, Eibach springs & bars, Bilstein Sports, Dinan Stage 2, slotted ATEs, Hi-Temp HTP pads, SS Lines, UUC-SS, White/Tan, Bling-free & Stealthy
Old 11-18-2009, 04:18 PM

Kimi to Brawn/Mercedes.
Old 11-18-2009, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VIZSLA View Post
Kimi to Brawn/Mercedes.
And his team mate is Juan Poblo.

Old 11-18-2009, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by franka View Post
All I know is that its on a number of sites tonight.
Old 11-19-2009, 12:01 AM
Banned

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIZSLA View Post
Kimi to Brawn/Mercedes.
Räikkönen to Mercedes GP.
Old 11-19-2009, 12:01 AM
Banned

Mein Auto:
Quote:
No, Rosberg.
Old 11-19-2009, 04:17 AM
Banned

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Räikkönen to Mercedes GP.
No. Räikkönen is taking a year off.

Now we can end the speculation!
Old 11-19-2009, 04:33 AM

Quote:

Now we can end the speculation!
Yeah, that'll work
Old 11-19-2009, 06:33 AM
Awesome power!

Mein Auto: 2007 Alpin Weiss 335ci
My head's spinning. Think I'll lay down for a while.

2007 BMW 335ci, Alpin Weiss, saddle brown, SP, PP (tree trim), Step, hot seats. Mod free. As pictured: on SSR GT1s with Goodyear F1s. AKA "White Lightnin'"
2012 Mini Cooper Hardtop S in chili red with white mirrors, top and racing stripes. AKA "Big Red S."
Euro Delivery pics here: http://picasaweb.google.com/berford/GermanyAndSwitzerland2007?authkey=uGnlSSrqMTY
Old 11-19-2009, 02:55 PM
Here comes trouble!

Mein Auto: 2009 328i E90 :)
Quote:
The way I see it Brawn and Button lucked out in the beginning of the season with a dominant car. Button managed to not f/u and then drove it home. If there were more races Button and Brawn may not have made it to the end in points.

Brawn team is still very new and all the bucks$ in Mercedes can not change that.
A lot of championships have been won like this recently.

Someone comes out the gates faster and the other teams play catchup. Nothing new. Brawn did a fabulous job all season long and this championship is Ross Brawn's crowning achievement. If he wasn't a legend already, he is now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by furby076 View Post
You will rue this day, RUE THIS DAY
Old 11-19-2009, 04:18 PM

Quote:
No, not without my permission is he taking a year off.

Old 11-19-2009, 04:44 PM

I also would not release Button.

Brawn will not release Button early

By Edd Straw Thursday, November 19th 2009, 15:19 GMT

Jenson Button will be blocked from doing any work for his new team McLaren before the end of the year by his current employer Brawn, AUTOSPORT can reveal.

The Mercedes-Benz owned team has Button under contract to the end of 2009, and although in similar cases squads have sometimes released departing drivers to their new teams early by mutual consent, his current employer has no intention of doing so.

Button's current contract expires on December 31, and although he will be free to work with McLaren once that date has passed, Brawn will be "rigorously enforcing" his contract until that time.

"Jenson will not be doing anything at all for McLaren until the end of this calendar year," Brawn chief executive officer Nick Fry told AUTOSPORT. "And if he does, we will be looking on it very dimly.

"He didn't have any obligations to us for 2010, but there are issues with regards to the signing process on which we are in discussion with him at the moment.

"There are clear constraints on what Jenson can do between now and the end of the year, which we will be rigorously enforcing."

Button signed a three-year contract with the defunct Honda team during the 2008 season that tied him to the team until 2011, but when the outfit was reformed as Brawn he signed a new deal for only the 2009 season.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

I can not see Button doing well at McLaren. Right now Button holds the championship but if he goes to McLaren and is not at least equal to Lewis it will always be said that Button wasn't good at Brawn, it was just the car he was in.

I predict that Lewis will have the upper hand over Button and that it will be like that for most of the season. Button does not have killer instinct.

Last edited by franka; 11-20-2009 at 04:15 AM.
Old 11-20-2009, 08:32 AM
Awesome power!

Mein Auto: 2007 Alpin Weiss 335ci
Quote:
-------------------------------------------------------------------

I can not see Button doing well at McLaren. Right now Button holds the championship but if he goes to McLaren and is not at least equal to Lewis it will always be said that Button wasn't good at Brawn, it was just the car he was in.

I predict that Lewis will have the upper hand over Button and that it will be like that for most of the season. Button does not have killer instinct.
Very likely. Shades of Alonso's move to McLaren. I doubt Button will block Lewis from pitting in time to do a final qualifying lap, though.

2007 BMW 335ci, Alpin Weiss, saddle brown, SP, PP (tree trim), Step, hot seats. Mod free. As pictured: on SSR GT1s with Goodyear F1s. AKA "White Lightnin'"
2012 Mini Cooper Hardtop S in chili red with white mirrors, top and racing stripes. AKA "Big Red S."
Euro Delivery pics here: http://picasaweb.google.com/berford/GermanyAndSwitzerland2007?authkey=uGnlSSrqMTY
Old 11-20-2009, 09:22 AM
Banned

Mein Auto:
Lightbulb Now hear this!

I hope that you are all sitting down.

MSchumacher is negotiating a contract with Mercedes Grand Prix, to return to Formula One in 2010.

This is according to the BBC.

Eddie Jordan is assisting with the negotiations.

Old 11-20-2009, 10:35 AM

Quote:
I hope that you are all sitting down.

MSchumacher is negotiating a contract with Mercedes Grand Prix, to return to Formula One in 2010.

This is according to the BBC.

Eddie Jordan is assisting with the negotiations.

E.J.'s involved.
Nuff said