Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > Motorsports, Racing & Track

Motorsports, Racing & Track
From Formula One to Auto-X, discuss everything related to going fast here...

Old 11-15-2010, 05:21 AM
Banned

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by F1Crazy View Post
The finale was exciting because of the points situation but the action on the track was nil. The only pass worth watching was Kubica on Kobayashi and it just shows how these new Tilke tracks suck. I hope that Pirelli and ban on double diffusers and F-ducts will improve the show next year.
My wife (F1 fanatic) and I were discussing this on Saturday. Tilke's tracks "look" good, but there is absolutely no racing on any of them. I am not sure which is worse, Yaz Marina, or Valencia. That said, the atmosphere, the layout and non-racing issues make these two of the most beautiful tracks in the world.

KERS is being brought back for some insane reason, and I am not really convinced that we will see any better racing next year. It is unfortunate that there are not multiple tire suppliers in Formula 1. That could make a huge difference.
Old 11-15-2010, 05:27 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: A big grin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
My wife (F1 fanatic) and I were discussing this on Saturday. Tilke's tracks "look" good, but there is absolutely no racing on any of them. I am not sure which is worse, Yaz Marina, or Valencia. That said, the atmosphere, the layout and non-racing issues make these two of the most beautiful tracks in the world.

KERS is being brought back for some insane reason, and I am not really convinced that we will see any better racing next year. It is unfortunate that there are not multiple tire suppliers in Formula 1. That could make a huge difference.
Bernie's (and Herman's by extension) main concern is the TV money. If a track looks good on TV a lot else is forgiven. A real shame.
Old 11-15-2010, 05:34 AM
Banned

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIZSLA View Post
Bernie's (and Herman's by extension) main concern is the TV money. If a track looks good on TV a lot else is forgiven. A real shame.
True. And Ecclestone's solution to this problem is to add "shortcuts" to the tracks.

There was what, one pass after Lap 1 in yesterday's race?
Old 11-15-2010, 05:40 AM

Quote:
True. And Ecclestone's solution to this problem is to add "shortcuts" to the tracks.

There was what, one pass after Lap 1 in yesterday's race?
The fact that neither Renault could be passed by obviously faster cars speaks for itself.
The mods on next year's cars may correct this a bit but the problems with the tracks will remain.
Old 11-15-2010, 06:51 AM
racer wannabe

Mein Auto: '12 X5,'08 535i, '03 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIZSLA View Post
The fact that neither Renault could be passed by obviously faster cars speaks for itself.
The mods on next year's cars may correct this a bit but the problems with the tracks will remain.
Renault's F-duct was second only to McLaren's and with no challenging corners on the track Alonso couldn't set up a pass.

Tires also played a huge role in bringing boredom to the races. How can a "soft" tire last 40 laps with no significant drop off in performance? Bridgestone wanted to leave without any drama and produced reliable and predictable compounds to every race except Canada and that was probably one of the more exciting shows this year.
Old 11-15-2010, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by F1Crazy View Post
Renault's F-duct was second only to McLaren's and with no challenging corners on the track Alonso couldn't set up a pass.

Tires also played a huge role in bringing boredom to the races. How can a "soft" tire last 40 laps with no significant drop off in performance? Bridgestone wanted to leave without any drama and produced reliable and predictable compounds to every race except Canada and that was probably one of the more exciting shows this year.
Good points but the Renault is not the car that either the Ferrari or the McLaren is and should have been passable. That it wasn't indicates a problem in F1.
Old 11-15-2010, 07:00 AM

Mein Auto: '11 1M;'08 MCS;'02 325iT
Spoonie was lucky to not be decapitated there. Yikes.
Old 11-15-2010, 07:05 AM
Banned

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plaz View Post
That could have been a lot worse.
Old 11-15-2010, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plaz View Post
Without the current cockpit specs it would have been a horror.
Good to know that the FIA gets some important things right.
Old 11-15-2010, 07:42 AM
Cogito Ergo Zoom

Mein Auto: 325iT
All the drivers said last year , and it was confirmed this year , that the exit of the turns are too narrow so you can't run side by side to attempt a pass . PF1 even mentioned it in a post race editorial . Maybe they will re-profile some of the turns so that we will see some better racing .

At least next year finishes at Inter Lagos . It may not have the best facility and you need an armed guard , but there's several good passing zones . Would make for much better racing if there's still more than two guys in contention at the final .

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?sk=...?id=1338939628
"I May Be Going To Hell In A Bucket But At Least I'm Enjoying The Ride"
Old 11-15-2010, 08:05 AM
Banned

Mein Auto:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	76533_128796117178268_128786427179237_164179_4146447_n.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	16.8 KB
ID:	254731  
Old 11-15-2010, 09:20 AM
Awesome power!

Mein Auto: 2007 Alpin Weiss 335ci
Quote:

Okay, with that little ditty perhaps this thread should be shut down. and

2007 BMW 335ci, Alpin Weiss, saddle brown, SP, PP (tree trim), Step, hot seats. Mod free. As pictured: on SSR GT1s with Goodyear F1s. AKA "White Lightnin'"
2012 Mini Cooper Hardtop S in chili red with white mirrors, top and racing stripes. AKA "Big Red S."
Euro Delivery pics here: http://picasaweb.google.com/berford/GermanyAndSwitzerland2007?authkey=uGnlSSrqMTY
Old 11-15-2010, 06:35 PM

Mein Auto: E39 540i Sport
My man Vettel won and Webber showed us that he is no champion as I have been saying.

Good Good for RBR and Vettel. May they both win in 2011.

Dirrezas (4) @ 275/35-18, Eibach springs & bars, Bilstein Sports, Dinan Stage 2, slotted ATEs, Hi-Temp HTP pads, SS Lines, UUC-SS, White/Tan, Bling-free & Stealthy
Old 11-17-2010, 04:39 AM

Mein Auto: E39 540i Sport
The End Game

F1 decider attracts huge audiences

Wednesday, November 17th 2010, 10:56 GMT

The finale of Formula 1's epic 2010 title chase in Abu Dhabi last weekend attracted huge global television audiences, with many broadcasters reporting their highest F1 viewership figures in several years.

Germany's RTL attracted an average of 10.3 million viewers for its race coverage, with a peak of 12.1 million as Sebastian Vettel clinched the championship. The broadcaster had not surpassed 10 million for an F1 race for three seasons, since Michael Schumacher's original retirement.

The Spanish stations covering Fernando Alonso's ultimately unsuccessful chase of the crown averaged nine million viewers, while Italy's Rai had an average of 10.6 million - double the 2009 Abu Dhabi audience, and giving the station a 50 per cent audience share.

In Britain the enthusiasm among audiences was slightly lower than it had been for Jenson Button's coronation in Brazil last year. That attracted 6.6 million viewers to the BBC broadcasts, while this year the figure was 5.3 million and a 40 per cent share.

Dirrezas (4) @ 275/35-18, Eibach springs & bars, Bilstein Sports, Dinan Stage 2, slotted ATEs, Hi-Temp HTP pads, SS Lines, UUC-SS, White/Tan, Bling-free & Stealthy
Old 11-24-2010, 11:12 AM
Banned

Mein Auto:
Vote for your favorite picture from 2010:

http://www.lgeracing.com/f1-gallery-2010.php