Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > Motorsports, Racing & Track

Motorsports, Racing & Track
From Formula One to Auto-X, discuss everything related to going fast here...

Old 11-20-2009, 02:41 PM
Here comes trouble!

Mein Auto: 2009 328i E90 :)
I want Schumacher at Brawn. Yessum! The old Chinners back together with Brawn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by furby076 View Post
You will rue this day, RUE THIS DAY
Old 11-20-2009, 02:48 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: E39 540i Sport
Please no, no more, we all had more than many of us wanted.

This cinches it, F1 is still on the decline with no bottom yet in sight.

G*d please help us all.

Dirrezas (4) @ 275/35-18, Eibach springs & bars, Bilstein Sports, Dinan Stage 2, slotted ATEs, Hi-Temp HTP pads, SS Lines, UUC-SS, White/Tan, Bling-free & Stealthy
Old 11-21-2009, 01:33 AM
Banned

Mein Auto:
I have had enough of Spoonface.
Old 11-21-2009, 06:19 AM
Banned

Mein Auto:
More news...

Villeneuve (I am tired of that old fart as well) is trying to get a seat with one of the new teams, probably Lotus.

His wife divorced him, so he has lots of free time.

And USF1 has signed Argentinian José María López to a contract, assuming that he can put together a 5.4 million Euro sponsorship deal for the team.
Old 11-21-2009, 06:21 AM
Banned

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by franka View Post
Please no, no more, we all had more than many of us wanted.

This cinches it, F1 is still on the decline with no bottom yet in sight.

G*d please help us all.
Of course, Ecclestone, in his demented capacity, is salivating at the idea that Spoonface would drive for Mercedes-Benz. More money, just in case he has to get divorced again...
Old 11-23-2009, 10:16 AM
Htd Seats = 4-season vert

Mein Auto: 06 Z4MR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
And USF1 has signed Argentinian José María López to a contract, assuming that he can put together a 5.4 million Euro sponsorship deal for the team.
Really? Do they have an American driver? I can't imagine this will help the popularity of F1 here.
Old 11-23-2009, 11:33 AM
Here comes trouble!

Rosberg confirmed at Mercedes.

Schumacher said to be leaning towards staying retired, but I bet it is tempting...mostly because of Brawn, I assume.

Quote:
Old 11-24-2009, 04:44 AM
Banned

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakked View Post
Really? Do they have an American driver? I can't imagine this will help the popularity of F1 here.
Are there any US drivers that are ready for Formula One?
Old 11-24-2009, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Are there any US drivers that are ready for Formula One?
good question. i don't know. but i'd rather see a low-field US F1 team racing with at least 1 U.S. driver than a mid-field US F1 team racing with "ringers." sponsors may see it differently.

but i thought the whole point was for USF1 to pick someone relatively fresh so they could train him/her as the team developed. seems to me they could have had their pick of a number of U.S. karting drivers.
Old 11-24-2009, 11:22 AM

Quote:
but i thought the whole point was for USF1 to pick someone relatively fresh so they could train him/her as the team developed. seems to me they could have had their pick of a number of U.S. karting drivers.

Yes I agree, an American team with American drivers , that was a stated objective at one time.

But if you don't have American driver(s) that can win a race or two, it makes no sense to use an American. Does a South American count?

Dirrezas (4) @ 275/35-18, Eibach springs & bars, Bilstein Sports, Dinan Stage 2, slotted ATEs, Hi-Temp HTP pads, SS Lines, UUC-SS, White/Tan, Bling-free & Stealthy
Old 11-24-2009, 12:00 PM
Banned

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Yes I agree, an American team with American drivers , that was a stated objective at one time.

But if you don't have American driver(s) that can win a race or two, it makes no sense to use an American. Does a South American count?

Yes, who is "American" enough to drive for USF1...

No, they will take the best drivers that they can get. No US born drivers come to mind, even after some searching. Formula One does not need another Michael Andretti/Scott Speed failure. That would kill the interest in NA (that means North America).
Old 11-24-2009, 12:04 PM

Thanks for the NA clue.

Old 11-24-2009, 12:07 PM
Banned

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Thanks for the NA clue.
That was only for you.

It is not easy for you Texans...
Old 11-24-2009, 03:53 PM

I was not born here so to some I am not a Texan and that is fine with me.

Old 11-30-2009, 12:51 AM
Banned

Mein Auto:
Latest rumors...

Sauber will get a grid place for 2010, and use Ferrari engines + transmissions.

Räikkönen will be confirmed for Citroën WRC for 2010, paid by Red Bull. Räikkönen will return to Formula One in 2011... with RBR, as a teammate to Vettel.
Old 11-30-2009, 04:37 AM

I'm very glad to hear that Kimi has gone to the WRC and that he let F1 know that they can stick it. It's great that my man was the one to let them know.

He will be back to F1 on his terms.

Old 11-30-2009, 11:25 AM
Banned

Mein Auto:
Räikkönen has now SIGNED a contract with Citroën to drive the C4 WRC for the entire 2010 WRC season. He will be driving for the Junior Team, but in an identical car to Loeb and Sordo. Red Bull is fitting the bill.

The contract has an option for 2011... In Formula One for RBR!
Old 12-01-2009, 08:08 AM
Here comes trouble!

I'd venture to say there is at least one American born talent out that could (and should) be hired by USF1. I'd help the team a lot to give an American driver a chance. Peter Windsor himself (as well as the Speed TV crew) have always lamented how US drivers get little support in F1. I'd be disappointed if they don't hire a US born driving talent...

Quote:
Old 12-01-2009, 02:30 PM

If there are no really good Amer drivers then the team has to choose otherwise. They can not afford a weak driver in a new team.

Old 12-02-2009, 12:17 AM
Banned

Mein Auto:
Quote:
If there are no really good Amer drivers then the team has to choose otherwise. They can not afford a weak driver in a new team.
There will not be a US born driver in Formula One any time soon.
Old 12-02-2009, 09:35 AM
Here comes trouble!

Quote:
There will not be a US born driver in Formula One any time soon.
That's sad, considering Windsor always harped on how young US drivers are being ignored, nobody scouts them right. Boo on USF1 if they fail to hire a US driver...

Quote:
Old 12-02-2009, 10:18 AM

Mein Auto: A big grin
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwinter View Post
That's sad, considering Windsor always harped on how young US drivers are being ignored, nobody scouts them right. Boo on USF1 if they fail to hire a US driver...
Yeah that's their biggest problem.
Old 12-02-2009, 11:25 AM
racer wannabe

Mein Auto: '12 X5,'08 535i, '03 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwinter View Post
They are a business operation, in the business of racing, they need to secure the money to run it, then they need the best possible people to do the job so the business continues to operate and eventually returns the investment and turns profit. It means there are only two ways they will hire the driver: he brings the money to help them run the operation or he is good and there is potential that he will place as high as possible and bring points if not wins as this is how they get their scratch from FOA. It doesn't matter what country he's from.
Would you hire an unknown driver with no sponsorship money and with no success in lower formulas?

The scouting in F1 is nothing like scouting in pro sports here, you need to make a name for yourself. US drivers with talent and success in karting need to get their asses to Europe and compete with the best, go the regular route all F1 drivers usually take.
There is no racing series here in US that will prepare you for F1, plus it's hard to get noticed. It's possible but it's up to a driver. Robert Kubica is a prime example that talent and sacrifice will eventually lead to a successful career even if you come from a country that has no racing to speak of. The only motorsports that are popular in Poland are rally and motorcycle speedway but he managed to make it.
Old 12-02-2009, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by F1Crazy View Post
They are a business operation, in the business of racing, they need to secure the money to run it, then they need the best possible people to do the job so the business continues to operate and eventually returns the investment and turns profit. It means there are only two ways they will hire the driver: he brings the money to help them run the operation or he is good and there is potential that he will place as high as possible and bring points if not wins as this is how they get their scratch from FOA. It doesn't matter what country he's from.
Would you hire an unknown driver with no sponsorship money and with no success in lower formulas?
U.S. sponsors aren't going to pony up the cash if there are no U.S. fans. And (I think) U.S. fans want to watch someone from the U.S., not a foreigner.

So, great. Get Vodaphone to sponsor USF1, and the rest of us will keep surfing the channels until we land on Monday Night Football.
Old 12-02-2009, 02:36 PM
Awesome power!

Mein Auto: 2007 Alpin Weiss 335ci
Quote:
U.S. sponsors aren't going to pony up the cash if there are no U.S. fans. And (I think) U.S. fans want to watch someone from the U.S., not a foreigner.

So, great. Get Vodaphone to sponsor USF1, and the rest of us will keep surfing the channels until we land on Monday Night Football.
Yes, that's the contrapositive proposition. Thus, there needs to be more and robust training of potential US drivers in the F1 racing format for a US team to succeed in a business sense. It's also suggestive that Peter's venture will fail; but I hope not.

Since Monday Night Football is played on Monday night and F1 is generally run at 1300 hours local time on Sunday, however, it seems to me that potential fans will be looking for something else. In fact, since most races are held in European time zones (or thereabouts), I doubt that many people are surfing for sporting events at all at 4:30 to 7:30 a.m. unless they want to see F1 or something taped earlier.

2007 BMW 335ci, Alpin Weiss, saddle brown, SP, PP (tree trim), Step, hot seats. Mod free. As pictured: on SSR GT1s with Goodyear F1s. AKA "White Lightnin'"
2012 Mini Cooper Hardtop S in chili red with white mirrors, top and racing stripes. AKA "Big Red S."
Euro Delivery pics here: http://picasaweb.google.com/berford/GermanyAndSwitzerland2007?authkey=uGnlSSrqMTY

Last edited by berford; 12-03-2009 at 08:44 AM.