Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E89 Z4 (2009 - current)

E89 Z4 (2009 - current)

Old 12-06-2015, 11:19 AM

Mein Auto: C6Z06
2013 Z4's... 28i, 35i, reliability opinions?

My friend is looking to buy a Z4, 2013 ish, around 30k miles thereabouts. We've looked at a handful so far they all seem nice. One 35i we saw had a small leak on the pass side valve cover.

I'll start by saying the 28i has more than enough power for her, but she likes little things like the dual exhaust of the 35i . Am interested in experiences folk have had with either engine option, particularly when it comes to reliability. Are there any recurring problems on either of these engines?

One (a 28i) she is looking at right now has a new car warranty thru 2017, certified thru 2019. It has a problem with the roof (won't retract) which the dealer will fix, but we are also now worried this might be a recurring problem?

Additionally, it seems to be tough to find cars with nav AND a backup cam. Are there reputable aftermarket options for backup cams (+ screens for navless cars)?

Any/all advice would be appreciated.

Last edited by mcm375; 12-06-2015 at 11:20 AM.
Advertisement
Old 12-08-2015, 06:12 AM

Mein Auto: 13 ODY
In Apr we bought a 28i for my wife. It is also a 13, and had 7K on the odo.PLENTY of power and the exhaust in sport mode is plenty loud.
The car is going into the shop tomorrow for a CEL and a wonky oil temp gauge that only occasionally moves, and when it does , only a click or 2.
The fan goes into hyper speed on occasion too.

That's it for us and ,it gets great gas mileage with the car at 14K+

the camera is easily added if you are handy
Old 12-15-2015, 01:28 PM
ZEDHEAD

Mein Auto: 2015 sDrive35is
7,000 miles on my 2015 35is with absolutely no issues (now that I posted this the engine will probably fall out tomorrow )

Also there is only 1 valve cover as the engine is either an inline 4 or inline 6 in a Z4 so there wouldn't be a driver side valve cover.

I had a 2006 Z4 3.0i before this that had lots of problems and purchased this one anyway because I just loved the car so much when it worked that I felt it was worth any problems that might come up to have such a great car.

“Thou art to me a delicious torment.” Ralph Waldo Emerson
Old 12-16-2015, 12:55 PM
BMW Snow Plow User

Mein Auto: e89 Z4, e46 330Ci vert
I have a 2015 28i (n20 engine) with 11000 miles on it. Nothing ever went wrong with the car except the obligatory coolant loss. No rattles or buzzes either.

However, I feel strongly that the 10,000 mile oil change interval is a joke. I had done a 4000 mile oil change on my own bill and it got a noticeably smoother idle from it. I very much felt that the 4000 mile oil change had a benefit that was noticeable.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E89 Z4 (2009 - current)
Today's Posts Search