Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E89 Z4 (2009 - current)

E89 Z4 (2009 - current)

Old 03-30-2011, 10:06 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stafainn View Post
I'm about to fit a wind deflector to my car this weekend. I don't have the silver covers with the holes in them and thought that I would have a go at drilling holes in the existing ones. It would help if someone could give me a distance from the bottom of the cover to the bottom of the guide. Also, is there a reason that there is a gap at the bottom of the deflector? would it be better if I fitted it further down closer to the trim behind the seats?

Thanks,

David
Doubt it would be any difference, but even in the installation instructions that some with the screen, it says that the roll bar covers are required.
Old 05-09-2011, 07:31 PM

Mein Auto: 2001 540i A Sport
Are you guys paying $850 (dealer quote) for a wind screen? What are other quality options?
2010 535i A MSport
2008 K1200GT (For Sale $13K)
Sold
2007 Z4 3.0si Coupe
2001 540i MSport

[
Old 05-09-2011, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by richr8 View Post
Are you guys paying $850 (dealer quote) for a wind screen? What are other quality options?
MSRP is $580 for all required parts, and I paid $400 (included shipping to NY) from Yark BMW in Ohio. Installation, per my dealer, was only 30 minutes, so all said and done, could be installed and bought conceivably for around $400. Anyone quoting $850, should be waving a gun and wearing a ski mask, LOL..

Last edited by supremeart; 05-15-2011 at 05:25 PM.
Old 05-09-2011, 07:46 PM

Mein Auto: 2001 540i A Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeart View Post
MSRP is $580 for all required parts, and I paid $400 (included shipping to NY) from Yark BMW in Ohio. Installation, per my dealer, was only 30 minutes, so all said and done, could be installed and bought for under $500. Anyone quoting $850, should be waving a gun and wearing a ski mask, LOL..
Sorry 'bout that. Search is your freind. Found many amswers to my question in about 30 seconds. And yes, my dealer provided me a print out listing the dealer screen for 850 +. Looks like I'll be going with a Roadster Solutions or other model. Thanks for the reply.
2010 535i A MSport
2008 K1200GT (For Sale $13K)
Sold
2007 Z4 3.0si Coupe
2001 540i MSport

[
Old 05-10-2011, 11:56 AM

Mein Auto: '11 Z4 35iS
I have the roadster solution installed year-round and have been very happy with it. Downside is that with the top up it can be a bit squeaky, though i certain it can be addressed with a couple of well placed shimmy's. I just haven't had enough rain free days to really enjoy the yet.
Old 05-14-2011, 03:40 PM

Mein Auto: 325i
Well I don't know what the heck your dealer was showing you, but you might want to ask for some lube first before getting screwed. You can find all the parts for less than $400 here http://www.bmwmercedesparts.comThe main assembly is $306 plus $24.83 a piece for the rear rollover covers. Installation isn't hard and can be done diy. Search on this forum for the installation instructions.
Quote:
Originally Posted by richr8 View Post
Sorry 'bout that. Search is your freind. Found many amswers to my question in about 30 seconds. And yes, my dealer provided me a print out listing the dealer screen for 850 +. Looks like I'll be going with a Roadster Solutions or other model. Thanks for the reply.

2010 sDrive35i Sapphire black, beige leather, premium, sport, 19" wheels, premium sound, nav, cold, comfort access, alarm, smartphone, 6 speed manual
2006 530xiT Wagon, Monaco Blue/black, premium, cold, PDC, Logic 7, Comfort Access, rear shades

BMW CCA Member# 164977
Old 05-17-2011, 08:54 PM

Mein Auto: 5 series
This may be a silly question but how does a wind deflector help? Is it less noise or actually less wind ?
Old 05-18-2011, 05:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssfun View Post
This may be a silly question but how does a wind deflector help? Is it less noise or actually less wind ?
Acts by blocking some of the wind turbulence coming in from behind you, especially with the windows up. I will mention, that due to the low roll bars on the car, if you are taller (over 6 feet)you might not notice as much a difference unless you have your seat in the lowest position.
Old 06-02-2011, 11:27 AM

Mein Auto: 2006 330i, 2011 Z4 35is
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcw View Post
Well I don't know what the heck your dealer was showing you, but you might want to ask for some lube first before getting screwed. You can find all the parts for less than $400 here http://www.bmwmercedesparts.comThe main assembly is $306 plus $24.83 a piece for the rear rollover covers. Installation isn't hard and can be done diy. Search on this forum for the installation instructions.
I could not find the wind deflector there
Do you mind listing the part number you used? I tried 54347200808 and that was not found.
Old 06-02-2011, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjarne View Post
I could not find the wind deflector there
Do you mind listing the part number you used? I tried 54347200808 and that was not found.

Part number was correct, you need all of the following:
Part#s 54347200808, 51439181607, 51439181608, 51439128411, 51439128412

Confirmed here:
http://circlebmwparts.com/cgi-bin/ac...s=View+Records

I was also able to find it on http://www.bmwmercedesparts.com

You just have to select the year, make and model of your car first, then enter the part number, comes right up:

Assembly
09-11 $422.46 $306.07

Pillars rocker and floor - Roll bar - Air deflector - Assembly

Last edited by supremeart; 06-02-2011 at 11:52 AM.
Old 06-02-2011, 12:02 PM

I just searched for the part number and BMW, that apparently is not enough. Found it now.

I have seen conflicting opinions about needing the front covers (51439181607, 51439181608} what do you think?

Thanks for your reply.
Old 06-02-2011, 02:28 PM

Mein Auto: SDrive23i Z4
Quote:
I have seen conflicting opinions about needing the front covers (51439181607, 51439181608} what do you think?

Thanks for your reply.
You actually don't need either the front (black)or rear covers (silver). I should have taken some pictures when I fitted mine, but I didn't and it's too late now.

If you go to the rear of the car and gently pull the silver cover off. It has balls at the end of posts that fit into rubber sockets on part of the black cover. When you get it off (4 ball and socket clips if I remember correctly) you will see that the black cover has a rear part that goes round the roll bar and it's this that the silver cover clips into. You will also see two plastic posts on the outside of the inside bar - these are where the wind deflector screws go. Take a pencil and mark on the black cover the position of these posts. Put some washing up liquid on the balls of the silver covers and fit it back on. Transfer the pencil mark from the front black cover to the rear silver one and remove it (liquid soap makes it easy to come back off). Measure the distance from the silver / black cover join to the centre of the plastic post. Place a mark on the silver cover this same distance opposite the pencil mark. These marks should line up with the post when the silver cover is back on and this is where you drill the holes. These holes have to be bigger than the screw so that it is tightened into the plastic and not the cover. Being bigger it also allows a bit of room for error and it's under the wind deflector fittings so nobody sees it. You still have to fit the mesh into the bars. Don't take the screws completely out - just loosen them enough to slip the mesh in. There is one screw that is awkward and if you take it out it's difficult to get back in again. Once the mesh is in the hoops push both silver covers on and screw the deflector fittings on and fit central mesh deflector into the slides. You definitely don't need the black cover and you only need the silver cover if you don't want to drill holes in it. Even if you are not confident have a go. If you make a mess of it you were going to buy a new silver cover anyway. It's been a while since I did mine (took about 1 hour and I'm sure I could do one in 20 - 30 minutes now) so I can't remember all of the measurements. However, it's not rocket science - just common sense. Take your time and you'll be fine.

Last edited by Stafainn; 06-02-2011 at 02:31 PM.
Old 06-02-2011, 02:34 PM

Thanks, I will give it a go without new covers. As you say, if I mess up I can always buy them then

Now I only need my car to arrive, so I have something to put it on
Old 06-02-2011, 02:40 PM

I should also have said that after you have the hole positions marked in pencil fit the deflector side fitting over the cover just to make sure that the holes line up with the pencil marks.
Old 06-03-2011, 10:12 AM

Quote:
I just searched for the part number and BMW, that apparently is not enough. Found it now.

Thanks for your reply.
Personally I would get them (I did). Seems will be easier and leave less room for error. Just my opinion..
Old 06-03-2011, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeart View Post
Personally I would get them (I did). Seems will be easier and leave less room for error. Just my opinion..
You are probably right, but for now I opted to just order the kit. In any case I need to order replacements when I turn the car in a couple of years from now, but rather than having the old ones lying around I will order them when the time comes.

Hopefully the kit arrives before my Sapphire Black/ White Extended leather 35is shows up. It is crossing the Atlantic as we speak, can't wait .....
Old 06-28-2011, 09:20 AM

I picked up my Black Saphire Metallic/ Extended Ivory Leather 2011 Z4 35is Saturday and installed the windscreen yesterday. Thanks to the tips and instructions in this thread it went very smoothly, the only slight slowdown was that one of the top balls did not want to budge. I broke a few nails pulling that particular corner but eventually it started to move.

I had decided to not buy new covers unless I messed up, so using Stafainn's instructions I measured trice and drilled once, and it came out perfect.

Thanks guys for the help.

P.S. I already love the car
Old 06-28-2011, 10:23 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 Z4 35is
Quote:
I picked up my Black Saphire Metallic/ Extended Ivory Leather 2011 Z4 35is Saturday and installed the windscreen yesterday. Thanks to the tips and instructions in this thread it went very smoothly, the only slight slowdown was that one of the top balls did not want to budge. I broke a few nails pulling that particular corner but eventually it started to move.

I had decided to not buy new covers unless I messed up, so using Stafainn's instructions I measured trice and drilled once, and it came out perfect.

Thanks guys for the help.

P.S. I already love the car
bjarne, congrats on the new car. How about some pictures.

2011 Z4 35is
2014 X3 28i
Old 03-29-2012, 05:54 PM

Mein Auto: BMW Z4 & BMW 335
I just got my windscreen from Germany and it came w/o the screws or silver head rest covers. What were the measurements you used? if you can remember and what size screws did you use? Did you remove the silver covers first or just measure and drill? Thanks
Old 03-29-2012, 05:59 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 Z4 35i, 2006 525xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by carsbillz4 View Post
I just got my windscreen from Germany and it came w/o the screws or silver head rest covers. What were the measurements you used? if you can remember and what size screws did you use? Did you remove the silver covers first or just measure and drill? Thanks
You need the silver covers with the pre-drilled holes. If the windscreen didn't come with screws, maybe the covers do, but I don't remember. Anyway, the covers are cheap. Pop off the old ones with plastic pry bars and install the new ones. Easy.

2012 Z4 35i, ED 2/24/12, Melbourne Red Metallic, Black leather, 6 MT, ///M Sport, Premium Package, Premium Sound Package, Cold Weather Package, Nav, Comfort Access, LED Angel Eyes, BMWPedals pedal covers, stubby antenna, Luxon strut bar, CF engine cover, LCI side marker, powder coated calipers, Extra Enjoyment Package
Old 03-29-2012, 06:12 PM

Mein Auto: BMW Z4 & BMW 335
Thanks for the reply. I do not have the covers with predrilled holes and I was hoping to give it a try w/o purchasing new ones. If I make a drilling error, then I will purchase new covers. Thanks - love you pics - I will post some soon

09 BMW Crimson Red Z4
07 BMW Monaco Blue 335i
Old 03-30-2012, 01:28 AM

Quote:
Thanks for the reply. I do not have the covers with predrilled holes and I was hoping to give it a try w/o purchasing new ones. If I make a drilling error, then I will purchase new covers. Thanks - love you pics - I will post some soon

09 BMW Crimson Red Z4
07 BMW Monaco Blue 335i
Take your time and you'll be fine. You definitely don't need to buy new covers with the holes in them.

Old 04-02-2012, 10:29 AM

Mein Auto: '11 Z4 35is
Quote:

09 BMW Crimson Red Z4
07 BMW Monaco Blue 335i
I had the same dilemma last year. Instead of buying new covers, I used double sided 3M tape to attach the mounts. The windscreen is rock solid, and the mounts are spring loaded for secure hold. It took me couple of attempts to get the correct height, but it's easy to reposition the tape.
Old 06-11-2014, 06:47 AM

Mein Auto: Z4 (E89)
Thumbs up

Hi Guys! - many thanks for all the tips on fitting a wind deflector to the new Z4 (E89). It gave me confidence to ease off the silver roll bar covers to begin the job - but it was not as easy as some said. You just need patience! Was able to remove them without damage and then by simple alignment I drilled holes to accept wind deflector fitting kit elements. I had a deflector from my previous Z4 and the necessary extra parts from my local BMW dealer for 10.15 - so well worth the effort! Thanks again for all the advice - worth about 250 saving!
Old 06-11-2014, 09:44 AM

Mein Auto: Z4
Has anyone tried the clear aftermarket acrylic wind deflectors?